Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Assembled Collection of Minor Issues with Steam Release + possible solutions.  (Read 7446 times)

UNOwenWasMe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

These are the things lacking in the Steam release that I have come across that are essential for a smooth and fun Dwarf Fortress experience.

- No capability to review past announcements. Obviously players will want to review announcements of things happening in case they missed something, or when they're currently busy and they want to look later.
- Similarly, no capability to review past combat logs. Obviously players will want to review these in the future, they are fun and can allow you to view how a dwarf died. Solution for both of these could be to have a dedicated tab somewhere that lists them. You know, a "log" menu with different tabs for reports, announcements, combat, ect.
- No capability to mass-designate materials for construction. Currently if you build a 10x10 floor, and you want to select materials yourself (because colour and aesthetics matter), you have to manually click 100 times on the desired material. Not good. Solution is to allow shift+click or ctrl+click on the desired materials to select all possible.
- Deconstruction labour is linked to the mining work detail. I understand the rationale: miners are the ones removing walls through digging, so they can also remove constructed walls. However you don't always want to have every dwarf assigned to mining. Mining skill influences strange moods, for one, and woodcutting and mining are mutually exclusive due to equipment incompatibility. Even if deconstruction happens very quickly now, in general I just don't want to wait till my miners are finished digging, to then go all the way to the surface to then deconstruct the floor/wall. Solution is to have deconstruction not be linked to mining, but to wall/floor construction.

EDIT:
- When clicking on "Add new task" on a workshop, the search bar is not automatically focused. You have to manually click on the search bar box with the mouse, then start typing. This is clunky, but this is also a consequence of the overall forced mouse support. In general, moving your hand from mouse to keyboard (to type) and back again is very tedious.
- No Single-step functionality. Thus, no capability to view high intensity combat situations as they unfold. Works in tandem with the lack of combat logs to make combat very opaque.

There are other things I could say but those are not essential to the gameplay as I regard these things to be. If you have encountered something else essential then please post it. I will add though that I did kind of expect the mouse support to be optional. I mean, why wouldn't Dwarf Fortress support full keyboard control. The functionality for that was already in there.

Best of luck to the brothers, may the stars shine brightly upon them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:45:34 am by UNOwenWasMe »

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a good idea to assemble various issues in one thread. Makes it easier for Toady to get an overview.

I would add the issue with default work details. Since they cannot be viewed, customized or deleted, they only clutter the list. Just make them customizable, same as new ones you create.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

- Scrolling the mouse wheel in a menu that doesn't currently have more than a page worth of items results in changing z-levels instead of doing nothing.
- There's no hotkey to start a new stockpile once you press 'p' to switch to stockpile mode. Other things also lack hotkeys.
- Stairs always require a minimum of 2 materials to build, even if one of the tiles already has stairs.
- Some tooltips for buttons near the right side of the screen go off the screen, making them unreadable. (Playing in windowed mode, didn't check if this happens in fullscreen.)
- Doors and hatches having their own category is pointless. Just put them in with grates and stuff.
- Need an option for a communal tomb, like dormitories are to bedrooms.
- Can't see room quality in the rooms list.
- Doesn't seem to be an easy way of going back one menu in some places. For instance, pressing Esc or right mouse in the type/mat/adj menus of a work order will send you back to the main work order list instead of the order you're editing.
- No 'all' category for searching for goods to bring to depot. Barrels and bins are sorted by material instead of contents.
- Need to be able to easily check combat skills when assigning and equipping dwarves in squad menu. (This wasn't in vanilla DF before, but it'd be nice.)
- Remove construction designation doesn't appear until you exit mining designations. Edit: Fixed v50.03

- When clicking on "Add new task" on a workshop, the search bar is not automatically focused. You have to manually click on the search bar box with the mouse, then start typing.

What's worse is that typing without the box focused can open other menus, closing the current one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:40:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. cannot see what items dwarves are hauling, whereas before the item would "blink" alongside the dwarf's tile.
2. all dwarves should be able to construct and deconstruct, even if this means a new work category is needed
3. constructions need option for mass selection of material, otherwise MY POOR TENDONS WHY YOU MAKE ME CLICKY CLICK
4. military menu....

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• Pet screen is buggy; details about pet status and butcher/etc go off the end of the UI and can be made difficult to click because they're sitting in the map. Clicking on those icons seems to be especially picky in that it seems to want to update the click/unclick status every frame the mouse is held down.Fixed as of 50.02
  • Phantom tile designations; when designating multiple layers of digging with multiple priorities, I noticed that sometimes one of the designations for the z-level below would "appear" on an already channeled-out tile on the z-level above, a bit of a ways away from existing designations. This might be predating the GUI release?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 01:48:01 pm by LuuBluum »

UNOwenWasMe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Found another one.

Civ alert burrow functionality is completely gone. You can set burrows and assign dwarves but this does not control movement, only work orders, so idle dwarves will still just stand wherever. There is currently NO way to move dwarves out of danger to a dedicated bunker or something. Which is of course a problem when zombies walk around.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Similarly, no capability to review past combat logs. Obviously players will want to review these in the future, they are fun and can allow you to view how a dwarf died. Solution for both of these could be to have a dedicated tab somewhere that lists them. You know, a "log" menu with different tabs for reports, announcements, combat, ect.

Combat log would be a great additional tab to the new units view

voicesinthefan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Stairs designation is not smart enough to warrant removal of specifying up or down or up/down stairs.  I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to make the designation make up/down stairs instead of just down stairs (i.e. if I'm continuing a staircase downwards after an original designation).  A simple fix might to just automatically connect any staircase above/below, converting to up/down as necessary.  A little unrealistic turning down stairs into up/down stairs, but would simplify stair designation usage.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just today I dug stairs down to the magma sea 10 levels at a time with out issue. I just selected to dig stairs, clicked on the bottom up stairs I had already, shift-scrolled down once, clicked again. It turned the up stairs into up/down automatically. Edit: I checked and it also works one level at a time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 09:03:01 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rough, smooth and engraved natural stone floors do not match their color with the stone they are made of.

Natural stone stairs are always textured as 'rough' and do not blend into the smoothed stone texture.

The ability to smooth stone stairs from the rough state to the smoothed state may be be a good improvement.

The tile representing fortifications is awful. I expected some arrow-loop slits through a stone wall. I got... something?

A statue built to depict a deity commonly depicted as a dwarf came out graphically as a statue of a cube. It should probably have been as a dwarf. I understand the full artwork of the dwarven deity Biskot cursing Rovod to wander the mortal plane as a werebeast after defiling his altar is too much to ask, but my stonecutter is cracked if he thinks I'm buying her abstract art nonsense. Now the omega ASCII character? That's art.

All deities in the relationship screen appear to be blank, instead of the creature they are depicted as.

Ghosts of dwarves should have a transparency effect or a spooky color, like microcline cyan. That would be horrifying.

Dwarves no longer display hauled or carried items. Even superimposing a hauled item over the dwarf would work for me.

Food does not appear on tables when dwarves eat at them.

Large vertical spaces underground are depicted with the same pale blue sky transparency as above ground spaces. Underground tiles should instead display a grey-to-black transparency so they do not have the "sky" effect deep underground. I haven't hit the caves yet; I hope they aren't full of pale blue fog. This problem might come from my unique way of digging out large public spaces with vaulted ceilings.

Stair construction and mining designations need a "classic" mode to mark out exclusively up/down/X stairs.

Windows no longer "sparkle" cycling between gem colors.

Foxblade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

There's a loss of ability to view descriptions of things in-game. For example, you can no longer view descriptions of deities that the dwarves worship or descriptions of organizations they belong to.

edit: Also, are items missing from the Trade Depot? It seems a lot of things like Mugs, crowns, and other trade goods are missing.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 02:03:50 am by Foxblade »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a loss of ability to view descriptions of things in-game. For example, you can no longer view descriptions of deities that the dwarves worship or descriptions of organizations they belong to.

edit: Also, are items missing from the Trade Depot? It seems a lot of things like Mugs, crowns, and other trade goods are missing.
1) Gods are on each dwarf's relationships screen, same as 47.05

2) Year 1 wagon? Today mentioned that they would bring a lot less than they used to, gradually bringing more stuff as your reputation grows.

So, neither of these are an issue in 59.02.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Legends Mode, hyphen doesn't work in the search bar even though there are hyphenated words like "God-forsaken" in entity names.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not my idea but copied this from Belerad (hope that's OK) since this annoys me as well:
- The possibility, to recreate the world with the used settings, after the world is created or just the old (a) abort world gen. At the moment there is just "Play now" and "Return to main Menu and Save World"

mestema

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

- No capability to review past announcements. Obviously players will want to review announcements of things happening in case they missed something, or when they're currently busy and they want to look later.

A simple (I assume) fix would be to bring back announcements and combat log into gamelog.txt in the install folder. This functionality seems to have been removed in steam release. This also would bring back the possibility to tail the gamelog-file in a separate window, which was super useful at least for my purposes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7