Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Assembled Collection of Minor Issues with Steam Release + possible solutions.  (Read 7440 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Looks like on the embark screen there is some glitchy behavior with the nickname and custom profession text boxes.  If you click both, it gives confusing feedback by making both look like they have input focus with blinking cursors.  They also don't seem to work at all, as typing doesn't do anything.

Works fine in game, from what I've seen.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Behavior of searching at orders menu changed to worse.
DF 0.47.05 does token search, to find "Construct wooden door" you just type "wo do", while DF.50.02 looks for full string, so you need "wooden do", which is twice longer. And for making adamantine sword it's "ad sw" vs "adamantine sw"  :o
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

- Can't issue kill orders from a list of all possible targets.

so you need "wooden do", which is twice longer.

You can shorten it to at least "den do".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 01:52:26 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- no alerts
- fortress health screen
- no ability to take all trade items back from trade depot
- no way to mass dump, forbid, melt etc. from store screen (Not true. My bad)
- have prices of furniture/doors/materials when choosing what to build/use
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 06:23:11 am by Criperum »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-soundeffects for more things: mining, chopping trees, animals on the screen, cats meowing when on the screen etc.. (like a 5 % chance when near the center of the screen or so), or dorf mumbling when there a group of dorfs socializing in the middle of the screen... or some mumbly singing...
-amount of avaiable beds etc as number next to "beds" in the construction menu.
-miners using stepladders to dig a tile "above" (so you can actually build a staircase up from a hallway.)
-if i go to the menu to change material/type/adj of a work order and i rightclick out of that menu i should go back to the workorder i am editing, not the full list of work orders.
-dorfs/animals are "hanging out" in a hospital zone... maybe add a button to disable "meeting up" there.
-soundeffects for messages. maybe a button after opening the message to turn on/off pausing when you get this message type.
-i have a dead dorf and a tomb zone with a coffin (10 even)... and i have the tomb zone set to auto accept dead unassigned corpses... but they dont bury my dead dorf. seems the tomb zone doesnt work for auto assigning dead to coffins in there?
-smelters could use a "smelt any ore" entry
-at constuctions shift clicking a material should use max of that type... i.e. wall constuction of 50 pieces.. shiftclicking mudstone adds 50... or as much as avaiable so you dont have to mouseclick 50 times to add +1 +1+1+1
-a way to quick remove 10+ tables/chairs, without clicking each and then clicking remove building... either a hotkey for the remove building button or a rectangle designate option similar to how dig/remove ramps/floors works.
-might be nice to select a rectangle on the map where the world map search searches in, so it doesnt search the whole map if you just interested to find something in an area.
-if i make a craft order to craft 10x wooden bolts, i cant set the condition material to check if there are "ANY wood" bolts... i can just set specific wood types. like checking if you have "100 copper bolts"  works, but it doesnt work for "100 wooden bolts".
and some work order suggestions cant be recreated yourself (i.e. rock crowns) because such "any rock, any wood" things are missing.
-AND, OR and such could be nice to have for workorders... like if you have less than 5 shields OR less then 5 bucklers -> craft some shields.
-maybe even a option to link a stockpile to a work order... (if this stockpile has less than ...) or an option to make a workorder for a workshop just check its linked stockpiles.
-farms might need different gfx for "farrow" "seeded" "grown".... as right now they just show crops when they ready to harvest.

-raw mussels are insane... one grand master fisher can get so many in such a short time. like every few seconds they fish around 5 mussles out of the brook... and you get a ton of shells out of them for crafts and you can make them so easily into lavish food that is worth 1000+.

-and prepared meals feel somehow insane in value for how easy they are to make...

-i had some sort of snakeman visiting at some point... and its description said "it has white skin" but the gfx of it was normal snake green.
-a way to quick select the next/previous dorf after clicking on one so you dont haev to go back to the creature list over and over to look at several dorfs to check if any have any combat skill.
-maybe barracks set to training should auto store training weapons (similar to mugs in taverns) and they will be auto used by the squad while training instead of their normal weapons. (they use the same weapon type that they have equipped.. i.e. a dorf with a metal spear in their uniform will then use a training spear)... probably needs mor ethen 3 types of training weapons then too...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 11:19:31 pm by Nelia Hawk »

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This issue has been around forever.

We could do with a differentiation between ACTUAL REAL combat and sparring, or random combat on the map between creatures in the logs.

This would allow for audible alerts when there is a real fight going on.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-soundeffects for more things: mining, chopping trees, animals on the screen, cats meowing when on the screen etc..
Please no, I don't want a constant stream of unimportant noises.
or dorf mumbling when there a group of dorfs socializing in the middle of the screen... or some mumbly singing...
This is already in the game. There's an example of it in the first KitfoxGames stream.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Onigato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- fortress health screen
- no ability to take all trade items back from trade depot

Came here specifically for these two. Most of the 0.49 "z" menu is there, and I can certainly understand not having a Fortress level health monitoring screen unless you have a Chief Medical Dwarf, but once you have a CMD you should be able to see the general (and specific diagnosed) health of everybody, including hungry/starving, thirsty/dehydrated, or any level of pain, without needing to hunt each and every dwarf throughout the entire fortress.

Having to wait for the merchants to leave to retrieve items out the Depot is problematic as well, in case someone/thing hostile and big shows up and I have to seal my fortress in that time period between initiating a trade and their deciding to leave, any food in there may very well rot before they get to go. As a corollary, while there may not be wagons on the first couple years, it would be nice to be able to make sure that my depot is actually accessible to the things, and not blocked by some bleeping tree that decided to grow in the last five or six years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

So far, I have one huge annoyance with the Steam UI (many minor ones that can be lived with). Whenever you go to assign a task at a workshop, you start at the root level. Which is very annoying for some of my usage scenarios.

For example, I want to create exactly one complete set (which obviously isn't worth using the manager for) of steel armor + weapon. I have to click on the forge and go

armor>steel>breastplate
armor>steel>greaves
armor>steel>gauntlets
armor>steel>helm
armor>steel>leggings
armor>steel>high boots
armor>steel>shield
weapon>>steel>battle axe

Or, I want to make a set of statues specifically of  gods for a temple (which might well require multiple individual tasks so I can customize them), I have to go
furniture>platinum>statue

Easy solution would be to take the "place another" checkbox from furniture construction and add it to workshops. Combine that with making right-click back up one level in menus instead of closing them unless you're at the top already (you could still use ESC or some other button for an instaclose), and that would make dealing with workshops directly.

A more advanced way of making this easier would be to extend the manager functionality to "item sets" - definable groups of items that would automatically queue up the tasks to make them on demand. So, for example, you could define a military uniform, then go into the manager and issue a "create archer uniform x4" order.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

anarion321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I think many of the things listed here need to be improved, like better logs, being able to see past logs be able to see body parts, better way to see description of items.....

Maybe it would be nice to have some kind of poll of things player want most to priorize?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

-snip-
Incidentally in the case of forges, it didn't use to do that, instead starting at the last used category.

- Hospitals now need to be converted from meeting areas. This is nonsensical, as hospitals aren't social spaces, and basically adds an additional step to setting up a hospital zone. In previous versions, hospitals were designated separately.

This is not true. You can assign any location from any zone, as you would know if you had... literally tried at all, or indeed paid attention to the UI in any respect. I usually use a water source zone for my hospital.

This isn't me having had a bunch of experience early talking, I noticed this the instant I realized I had to make a hospital, that every single zone can now be assigned to locations. Meeting areas are not required for this.

I'm annoyed not because you didn't know--that's fair--but because you didn't bother to check at all before complaining about it online, which always nettles me.
That wasn't the complaint. The fact any zone can be converted into a hospital doesn't fix the root issue that hospitals used to be their own zone designation/function. I shouldn't have to put down a zone first, just so I can then have a medical area. This is obtuse and adds several more clicks to a process that should be more easily achieved by opening the zone designation tab, clicking 'Medical', and putting an area down.

You also cannot have a single zone have multiple functions, I did check. You can have zones overlap, but that requires repainting zones over each other, which wasn't necessary before. Otherwise you can only change a zone's name (potentially handy change/addition) edit a zone's size, suspend activities at it (a good change/addition, actually) delete it, or assign it to a created location such as an inn or hospital. That's at most 6 functions, 5 of which have no business being part of a shared zone to begin with.

You cannot, for example, place a water zone and click a button to have it also be a fishing zone, or a pasture also be a training and fruit gathering zone anymore. You can have those zones overlap as previously stated, but that requires manually placing multiple zones over the same space rather than use the zone that is already present for multiple purposes. This is a negative change that adds extra steps to get the same results from a single zone designation last version.

Additionally, attaching a function, to continue in this case using a hospital for example, to say, a water zone. There's no clear indicator on the zone itself that it now does medical as well as watering duties. It remains marked as a watering zone. For a clear indicator of medical use, it needs to be converted from a meeting zone, which will mark the zone clearly with a caduceus.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 05:35:28 am by ZM5 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

- no way to mass dump, forbid, melt etc. from store screen

Might wanna look closer?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- no way to mass dump, forbid, melt etc. from store screen

Might wanna look closer?
You are right. I was wrong

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

Desperately need a way to bring up agreed petitions after closing the window.

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- No capability to review past announcements. Obviously players will want to review announcements of things happening in case they missed something, or when they're currently busy and they want to look later.
- Similarly, no capability to review past combat logs. Obviously players will want to review these in the future, they are fun and can allow you to view how a dwarf died. Solution for both of these could be to have a dedicated tab somewhere that lists them. You know, a "log" menu with different tabs for reports, announcements, combat, ect.

To me this is the biggest thing missing / not working for steam release and it makes it mostly unplayable for me. I know you CAN play without all of this information but none of the added benefits of the steam version out weight this information being missing.

We desperately need a log menu that shows and stores all of the logs. Things happen in the steam version and you'll never know what/why/how if you accidently killed the announcement or in most cases because it was never announced. I'd easily spend as much time sifting the logs for interesting / funny events than I would spent playing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7