Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: things you really like about the new version!  (Read 5756 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: things you really like about the new version!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2022, 03:12:15 am »

Labor system seems really promising, for as long as they make predefined labors editable and allow grouping of dwarves in addition to grouping of skills, so it would be possible to assign a bunch of jobs to entire groups of dwarves.

The way it is now, a properly configured Therapist offers a better labor system than the labor system, the only advantage of the latter being ability to auto-assign miscellaneous jobs to any new dwarves without player intervention, which actually saves a lot of time.

I hope so. The system seem to shadow what I used to do with DT and yet make none of it possible or practical.

An ability to view dwarves sheet from the labor screen would be nice. Right now you only see name and relevant skill. Anything else requires  memorizing the name, exiting the menu and find them on the citizen list. It would be much better if we could review the sheet simply by click on the dwarf thumb and hit esc to return.

Also an ability to review recently arrived dwarves would be nice, particularly for larger immigration waves and forts.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 05:00:06 am by jipehog »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 06:24:50 am »

Speaking of which, I do love that you can sort dwarves on the units screen. Happiness especially has been useful for identifying and rehabilitating upset dwarves.

EDIT: You can sort by job, so you can pretty easily line up the new arrivals in the unit screen.

I like the new gameplay and the incentives to dig deeper, as well as the rebalance to happiness, which is really in a sweet spot, in my opinion. Toady did a great job of making the game more game-y without sacrificing any of the core elements we've all grown to love.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:28:32 pm by delphonso »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2022, 10:27:03 pm »

agreed. new HFS additions have already punished me ... spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have found the mini-map and new details suuuper useful. and it makes for a nice overview screenshot, too!

basically, once we get updates to the labor system I may be happy as a clam

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 03:25:10 am »

EDIT: You can sort by job, so you can pretty easily line up the new arrivals in the unit screen.

It sure would be handy in many situation e.g. if you start noticing dwarven corpses being drained of blood after the recent migration and wish to narrow the list of suspects.  However, what you suggest is only possible for as long as you don't assign the new arrivals to work detail and assuming you did assigned everyone prior to that.

Meanwhile in Therapist you could easily sort by migration waves. From the original team that embarked to establish the outpost, to the two reinforcements teams sent by the mountainhome to later migrant waves attracted by your success.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 04:15:53 pm »

I've been playing this game, on and off, since 2009. Thirteen years of my life. Always played with ASCII. Just never liked any of the tilesets. Tried them, wasn't for me.

These new graphics, though. They're pretty. Never thought I'd call Dwarf Fortress pretty, but here we are. Above, the soft hues of the surface, the leaves turning with the seasons, cherry blossoms covering the ground. Below, the deep blue-black of jet and soft pink of rock salt. And I haven't even gotten into the caverns on this fortress yet... looking forward to seeing how that looks these days.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 06:47:27 pm »

Microcline looks nice.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2022, 12:07:43 pm »

The visual UI makes it easier to find some interesting QOL stuff that I never figured out in ASCII.  Did you know there's wheelbarrows in DF?

I don't like the way alerts and logs are set up, makes it awkward to see what's happening and easy to miss potentially disastrous things.  I also don't like that it's making me read the wiki.  Maybe I'm just a dick, or too much of an old head for these dessicated DF memes to make me laugh anymore, but if I was the boss I would remove all D for Dwarf shit from the wiki.
Shoes...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2022, 05:04:27 pm »

The visual UI makes it easier to find some interesting QOL stuff that I never figured out in ASCII.  Did you know there's wheelbarrows in DF?

I don't like the way alerts and logs are set up, makes it awkward to see what's happening and easy to miss potentially disastrous things.  I also don't like that it's making me read the wiki.  Maybe I'm just a dick, or too much of an old head for these dessicated DF memes to make me laugh anymore, but if I was the boss I would remove all D for Dwarf shit from the wiki.

. . . you didn't know about wheelbarrows?! you poor oblivious soul

also, I happen to like the D for Dwarf 'shit' because it is sort of a time capsule of the various meme-ery from over the years. however with the recent shift in editorial control on the wiki to Kitfox I wouldn't be surprised if some of the entries are edited or removed altogether

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2023, 01:03:49 pm »

An ability to view dwarves sheet from the labor screen would be nice. Right now you only see name and relevant skill. Anything else requires  memorizing the name, exiting the menu and find them on the citizen list. It would be much better if we could review the sheet simply by click on the dwarf thumb and hit esc to return.
I very much agree with this. There should be links to the information sheets for everything where you have to select from a list of things/creatures.

Speaking of wheelbarrows, I like the new stockpile interface. The 'All' option is very useful for output stockpiles for workshops.

Am I right in thinking you can now have as many wheelbarrows in a stockpile as you like?

IronGremlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2023, 02:29:16 pm »

The new labor system is phenomenal.

There are a few clunky pieces still, but a fortress will "just work" without heavy handed intervention, and the process of tweaking things is just so much smoother with this paradigm. Just a few more little tweaks and dwarf therapist will be useless in comparison.

The soundtrack is great and the contextual music system is just absolutely fantastic.

The creature details screen and all the various subscreens are massive improvements, much better presentation of information.

Being able to see at a glance whether or not my military dwarves have actually equiped at least some of their uniforms yet is a welcome change - being able to recognize a specific dwarf is also just such a great little addition.

As much as I am eager to see the return of a persistent log, the new alerts system is actually really really great.

The organization of menus is much, much better.

Zones is a better system than rooms were. Just light years easier to use and more sensible/approachable.

Scroll wheel to navigate z-levels is awesome. Being able to see multiple z-levels at once is likewise awesome.

The settings menu instead of digging through config files rocks.

The new save system is great.

Honestly everything that was added or changed was absolutely fantastic. I miss some things that haven't come back in yet (full keyboard controls and persistent logs, mostly) but all in all the game is just way more fun to play than it ever has been before.

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2023, 03:47:58 pm »

I went back and played DF 0.47 today. I had thought I might stick with the old version for a while because it saves me having to reboot into Windows to play, and I had been having some issues with squads and uniforms in 0.50. I had forgotten how awkward everything is by comparison, especially the labour settings (I have never used Dwarf Therapist) and even the cursor movement. I use vim almost everyday and have done for years, so modal interfaces and controlling the cursor with the keyboard seem entirely normal to me, but I still really appreciate the mouse controls. A fortress is not like a text file. You want to glide through it effortlessly rather than just jumping from place to place.

I do like the unique aesthetic of the old interface though, and I shall probably still be pressing dd instead of m when DF 1.0.0 is released.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2023, 03:57:15 pm »

The new graphics are surprisingly attractive. I still play in ASCII, but I occasionally pause and switch to graphics to "see" how the fort looks, kind of like Armok Vision.

Maps.

I also like the room-to-zone conversion. it simplifies things very much.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2023, 12:40:02 am »

During embark it's a lot faster to add new items. What used to be many key presses is now a single click to add another item from the same category.

I love save without quitting. Very nice for opening a save file to check something without having to either wait for it to re-save when quitting or force-quitting it. Saving takes a long time, so this is a big time saver.

Also, all the tool-tips are very helpful. I'm learning stuff I didn't know before from them, such as farms growing better in the cavern layer.

It's a little bit of a learning curve adjusting to the new UI/hotkeys after being used to the old version, but it's a big improvement overall.

3. as the world generates, the most recent events are shown to you.

Yeah, that's nice getting bits of history while generating without having to open legends mode.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2023, 10:36:36 am »

Forgot to mention the fact that you can now open menus and designate/build stuff without pausing the game. Probably my favorite QoL update. It saves so much time.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2023, 03:28:44 pm »

Also, all the tool-tips are very helpful. I'm learning stuff I didn't know before from them, such as farms growing better in the cavern layer.
The tooltips are great but you didn't already know about farming being better in the caverns because it is also new.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3