Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Gruesome Deaths And Successful Saves  (Read 10004 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gruesome Deaths And Successful Saves
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

So, I was wondering.... is there any tactic at all that can be used to avoid getting killed in one shot, other than sneaking or the use of a shield + high skill (even that doesn't seem to work very well).  Does laying on the ground give any cover?  

I still get insta-killed a lot by #@$@#$ elite bowmen.

armorfox255

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

i just did too...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

I lower bow damage from 100 to 50 in the raws, along with turning off fireball throwers. I havent seen its effect yet...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

Sneak up on them and grab their bows. Just remember not to sneak to the tile adjacent to them, you will always be spotted and because you have very low speed due to sneaking, the enemy always gets at least one action, often two, before you can react. So sneak until there is one tile between you and the enemy, exit sneak mode, close in(it helps to have high speed here, otherwise the enemy may get one action, which is enough to kill), grab the bow through wrestle and gain possession of it. You may now break all the kobolds joints and beat him to death with his own bow at your leisure.

Synthesis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

Easiest way to deal with archers is to throw spears at them while you're hidden.  Throwing won't reveal you, and it usually only takes a couple to nail kobolds and goblins, due to their lack of armor. Spears mainly because they're the lightest weapon that will give you a +2 crit without looking cheesy (like throwing arrows does).

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

Yeah, thrown spears are awesome. I had one exceptional iron spear I kept around at ALL TIMES. Eventually I added a battle-axe to it, and was strong enough so they didn't slow me down.

It's awesome to throw a spear and instantly kill someone, pull out a sword and smash the next guy, throw a battle-axe at his friend and so on.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2007, 01:56:00 am »

Thrown scepters are cool to. One of my adventurers was in big trouble in a ruin, a legendary skeleton was after me. He was bleeding and coulden't probobly survive a close combat, then he found a horsebone scepter, I took it and throwed it at the skeleton. PAFF one hit ko. Since then i always had my bone scepter until a dragon roasted me.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Synthesis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2007, 03:27:00 am »

I've noticed that your character can't hit anything that's prone using throwing (which is incredibly annoying when you only break something's leg on a first throw).  I've never had the chance to test it with archery...but that would be an interesting if you could avoid the kobold bowman instagib by simply scooting around on your butt through the kobold fortress   :)

My best save so far came while I was on a hydra-killing quest with my Hammer Lord.  I recruited a Sword Master to go down with me, and upon entering the cave, we found that it was full of nothing but fire imps and the hydra.

Of course, the Sword Master runs off on his own, slaying fire imps by the dozens, while getting burned in various places repeatedly.  Fortunately he had an excellent shield, which saved him from burnination numerous times.

Eventually, he finds the hydra on the third floor of the cave, while I'm still searching on the first.  I see the repeated combat spam of my companion attempting to punch the hydra into submission (he had lost his long sword by getting his hand burned off by a fire imp).  Eventually he died, ambushed by four imps while still madly punching the hydra.

I go looking for the hydra and find it, killing it with relative ease, since the Sword Master had already rendered it practically immobile and lapsing in and out of consciousness.  

Finally, I go looking for the Sword Master's gear, and find it with no fire imps in sight.  I begin looting the corpse (stupidly forgetting to hide myself while doing so) when all of a sudden, four bright yellow "i"s show up on the screen, surrounding me.  

My first move was to throw a spear at an imp behind me, which incapacitated him. However, the other imp behind me and the one above me both hit my lower legs with fireballs, rendering me unable to stand.  I block a fireball from the imp in front of me, kill the remaining imp behind me with a thrown spear, and hurl the slain Sword Master's sword at the imp above me, incapacitating it as well.  One blow from the hammer took care of the last imp, and I had to crawl back up through three levels of cave to safety.

I had another close call with a Zombie Elite Bowman, as well.  I had just finished mauling (literally) the Skeletal Axe Lord I was sent to slay, so I figured the coast was clear for me to do a little gratuitous ghoul bashing.

Carelessly, I run around the ruins, bashing everything into pieces, without even bothering to sneak or even read all the combat spam.  I make my way into a pyramid, still proceeding incautiously.  As soon as I enter, the Legendary monster screen pops up.  As soon as I hit spacebar to continue, *thwang*, an arrow rips through my face.  Fortunately, my masterwork iron helm and masterwork cap prevent a mortal wound, and I only lose an eye.

Immediately, I retreat back down the stairs and hide.  I sneak back up the stairs, bleeding, and thinking that this is the end, so I might as well take out the bastard before I bleed to death.  First spear severs the zombie's bow arm, second spear takes off a leg, maul explodes the zombie into gore.  Miraculously, I survive the encounter.

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: Synthesis ]

AshleyB

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/Ashleyegb
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

Is it possible to lose both eyes without giving into pain? Probably not, but slaying enemies while completely blind would be fantastic.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2007, 03:19:00 am »

it is possible, you just have to do thenm at seperate times...
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2007, 04:55:00 am »

I got blinded once and you realy fight like crap then. Throwing items 45 degrees off and 75% miss rate on fighting.

And all your grips are broken immediatly

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

it doesnt matter that it is totally ineffective its just got to have the coolness factor of blindfighting XD
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2007, 01:20:00 am »

I am blind not deaf.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

You begin sneaking.
    You are no longer in hiding.
    You jump away from The flying XX*iron arrow*XX!
    You hack at The Skeletal Elite Bowman in the lower body with your .piron halberdp/!
    It is badly damaged!
    You hack at The Skeletal Elite Bowman in the left upper leg with your .piron halberdp/!
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the XX*cow leather low boot*XX.
    The left upper leg flies off in an arc!
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman falls over.
    You hack at The Skeletal Elite Bowman in the right upper leg with your .piron halberdp/!
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the x*cow leather low boot*x.
    The right upper leg flies off in an arc!
    You hack at The Skeletal Elite Bowman in the upper body with your .piron halberdp/!
    It is shattered!
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman is propelled away by the force of the blow!
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the x*Rope reed head veil*x.
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the X*iron cap*X.
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the X*Rope reed quiver*X.
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the X*jaguar leather armor*X.
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the X.pRope reed robep/X.
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the X*Rope reed dress*X.
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman loses hold of the X*iron bow*X.
    The Skeletal Elite Bowman slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
    Tura Takruleteng, Skeletal Elite Bowman has been struck down.

I've been adv moding, and I keep getting quests to kill undead elite bowmen.  Dammit, I think the human leaders are trying to get me killed.  Anyway, my char is a badass, so it doesn't matter anyway (see above).

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2007, 04:54:00 am »

So, after completing the first quest my Axeman decided to go into another town, which was notable that is was in an evil place and I wondered what kind of creatures inhabit this area. But first I had to walk over the plains. Me and a companion were interrupted by a cheetah. That was easy. But in that particular area there were also several hippos. We walked south, trying not bother anyone, but one hippo decided that I am an easy target. In a quick, but violent fight, it bit me in the head, breaking it, and eating a chunk out of it. I managed to hack at his foot, but the axe stuck in the wound. After some more unsuccessful fighting hippo decided to run away. In a desperate move to retrieve my weapon, I threw a long sword at it and it badly slashed its head. But the hippo was still running away, leaving bloody trail. But soon the bleeding stopped and I lost that hippo (and my axe). I went searching and soon found a hippo. It was the wrong hippo, unfortunately. While I was disposing of this one, two more appeared, neither of which carried my axe. That was a bit too much for my character. He was decapitated while fighting yet another hippo. Looks like these guys love biting in the head...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14