Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Gruesome Deaths And Successful Saves  (Read 9993 times)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gruesome Deaths And Successful Saves
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2007, 04:48:00 am »

Early in my latest adventure, I disturbed a couple batches of vermin.  I started picking them up for no particular reason, and then mostly for comedy purposes began throwing them at enemies.  It's so hilarious to knock a minotaur unconscious and break his legs by pelting him with live rats.  I also managed to one-hit a skeletal child by shattering its upper body with a thrown cockroach, and then later pierced the lung and broke the spleen and spine of a minotaur with another cockroach.
And the best part is the vermin are completely fine afterwards.  If they don't run too far, you can go pick them up and throw them again and again.
This is the best game ever.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

My latest adventure was as an elf whom I eventually nicknamed Wolfbane. He hailed from a quite literally godforsaken country, that consisted of two retreats so small that I could never EVER find a kinsman on home territory, and that didn't as much as show up on the world map at civ selection. That country also happened to be neighboring a series of tundras and glaciers - EVIL glaciers. The elf in question was a spearman, with a birchen spear. These were the enemies he fought, per encounter:
2 cougars run through with the spear.
4 wolves - bled to death.
3 ice wolves - 2 bled to death, one run through.
7 wolves - 5 bled to death, one run through, one strangled.
3 ice wolves again - bled to death from an excessive number of holes.
7 wolves - 5 bled to death, 1 run through, 1 impaled on a thrown spear after being beaten by an ice wolf corpse.
15 ice wolves (probably just two packs) - 9 bled to death from various wounds (one was struck in the lower body from behind..  with a spear..  and the spear stuck...), 2 stabbed to death, two strangled, one suffocated due to lung damage.
2 kobolds - kobold migrants, one run through, one bled to death. One was also killed by a wolf.
2 wolves - all I could find from that encounter, the rest chased after kobolds. One met a stabbity death, one just bled.
7 ice wolves - all bled to death.
2 ice wolves - this was my last encounter. 7 wolves mobbed me. One was quickly stabbed to death, since my elf was Very Strong and Very Agile. But he had not a single point of Toughness. First, a bite got through to his leg, by random chance. First damage that elf took. Then, an unsuccessful charge landed him amidst the pack. The partially-stabbed wolves surrounded him, and one bit him in the head, damaging his neck, and tearing out an eye. The elf counterstabbed his way out of the mob, mortally wounding 2 more, one of which bled to death. As he was about to charge back into the pack, pain from the damage to the head overtook him and he passed out, then was torn to shreds by the remaining 5 wolves.

All in all, nice round numbers. 20 wolves and 30 ice wolves. All in a week's life. Two kobolds and two cougars were the only non-canine enemies, although in the case with kobolds, there is some doubt.

And this entire ordeal happened in no man's land, so it even didn't earn him a title. Damn.  :(

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

Not so much a gruesome death, just a really pathetic one:

I had a legendary wrestler/swordsman with numerous boss kills under his belt, seemingly nothing could even lay a hand on him.  He gets ambushed by some wolves.  No problem right?  He starts chopping away, producing copious amounts of wolf-burger.  Well one wolf just happens to get a lucky shot in on him that knocks him into a nearby lake and he drowns to death because I forgot to take any swimming skill when I created him.

A glorious career ended in possibly the most pathetic way.  And it was in the middle of nowhere so I probably will never find his corpse.

EDIT: On the plus side, the wolf in question also fell into the lake and drowned.

UPDATE: Also, it appears this spectacularly pathetic death has become a part of the history of the lands, as I just came across this backpack:

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Rob Allen ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 18, 2007, 03:34:00 am »

That.  Is.  Awesome.

I love this game.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

Is that like a kid taking a backpack or lunchbox to school with a picture of Superman getting killed on it?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »

Once, I started as "play now!". A completely unexperienced human in a fortress filled with demons.
I tried to find the entrance, found two steel bolts, which I picked up, one in each hand. Then I killed 4 ratmen, stabbing them to death. And THEN, it happened.

A tentacle demon rushed by me. Of course I didn't run, I wanted to fight. Soon, I was almost sure I would die : the demon had broken my left wrist and an ankle. I was down to earth, crawling in the brook, feeling the water running through my wounds.
The demon and I tried to enjoy my last seconds, one more successfully than the other. What I supposed to be his eye was gleaming with pleasure, and I decided I would not give him this satisaction : my last move would be to throw my bolt at him and try to make him suffer.
A second later, the setting sun lit an almost dead, naked man next to a still tentacle demon with a bloody bolt stuck in its "head", and a lifeless eye on the ground. Soon, the demon falled down. The man eventually grabbed its bolt and crawled back to a shelter.

All this to be killed later by a cougar.
Tss.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »

So much awesome stuff!

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Is that like a kid taking a backpack or lunchbox to school with a picture of Superman getting killed on it?</STRONG>

You should know, you programed me- I mean it!  :p

Nah, it is more like some high politician going around whit a very illustrative picture of Lincoln being shot on his suitcase.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2007, 12:14:00 am »

A bit more of an update:

I swear this backpack is cursed.  The character who bought it got killed on his first adventure after getting it.  I came across it in the same ruin some time later with another character, who was doing great until he got the backpack (which he picked up and put a ton of gold in it).  It seemed like after he got the backpack, he just had horrible luck.  He ended up getting his eye ripped out, but survived.  Later on, some of his internal organs were damaged in a fight, but he survived that (though he would randomly fall down afterwards).  I decided to retire him, but on the way back to town, he gets killed by a wolf that he probably would not have had any trouble fighting had he not randomly fallen over again before the wolf attacked.

Now the backpack is lost somewhere in the wilderness, probably never to be found again.  I have this sneaking suspicion that any image pertaining to the death of Daze Fairwisps will be cursed.  I'm not sure if the game was programmed that way or if it was just a really interesting coincidence, but it reminds me of just how awesome this game is.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Rob Allen ]

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

"But the hearts of men are easily corruptible. And the jaguar backpack has a will of its own. It betrayed Daze.
To his death.
And some things that should not be forgotten were lost.
History became legend.
Legend became myth.
And for two and a half thousand years, the backpack passed out of all knowledge
Until the chance came to insnear a new bearer..."

Well, we all kno what we have to do.
See you in 2500 years.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Dae ]

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

You stab The goblin Swordsman in the head with your Steel spear!
The shot glances away.
The goblin Swordsman strikes at You but the shot is parried!
You counterstrike!
You strike at The goblin Swordsman but the shot is parried!
You counterstrike!
You strike at The goblin Swordsman but the shot is parried!
You stab The goblin Swordsman in the head with your Steel spear!
It is broken!
The goblin Swordsman's nose has been broken!
The Steel spear has lodged firmly in the wound!
You twist the embedded Steel spear around in The goblin Swordsman's head!
You counterstrike!
The goblin Swordsman hacks at You in the left upper arm with her Iron scimitar!
It is broken!
The Iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!
You lose hold of the Steel shield.
The goblin Swordsman twists the embedded Iron scimitar around in Your left upper arm!
The goblin Swordsman twists the embedded Iron scimitar around in Your left upper arm!
You give in to pain.
The goblin Pikeman stabs You in the head with her *®-Iron pike-Ż*!
It is pierced through entirely!
You have been struck down.
The goblin Swordsman pulls out and drops the Steel spear.
Nguslu Gozrusled†s, goblin Swordsman has bled to death.

So much for my speardwarf vs the goblin fortress. To his credit he was already wounded when this happened.

What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

Crap for some reason I posted, went back to the forum and my message wasn;t there so I did it again. Sry for double post.

[ December 23, 2007: Message edited by: Onlyhestands ]

What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

My best was a rather good adventurer who had a runin with a kobold elite bowman.

The kobold was on the other side of a long 2 z-level pit. He shot a *copper arrow* through my heart on his first shot. My adventurer (using a sword after running after ammo) pulled the bloody arrow out of his chest, strung his bow, shot the kobold clean through the head, and died.

Why do I always suddenly get *really* lucky when I have mortal wounds? Hidden fun stuff for more epic deaths?

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »

My first adventure as a fresh character in a newly created world, I got three guys, a Swordsman and two Axemen/women.  We went to a cave to kill a Minotaur, and  were ambushed by a Giant Cave Spider, it got me in its web but I managed to crawl away.  My friends charged it with reckless abandon, while I was forced to read, in mounting horror, the account of their horrific deaths(Halving, Decapitation, and [sorry about this] boobie removal).  I thought I had escaped, but it came after me, and somehow, I, the green-as-grass swordsman with barely fifteen minutes under my belt, savagely dismembered one of the most terrifying creatures in the game.  And that, is my epic save.

EDIT:  It wasn't the same spider, it was a different one.  The original one was still there, and tore my guy limb from limb when I went past there again.

[ January 07, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

I've had a rather bad, but epic encounter recently. We, a rowdy band of a spearman (me), a hammerdwarf, a human lasher, a swordsman, and an elf spearman, went into some dungeon "to get exp". Yeah, just a typical adventuring desire to go fight.

As we could have expected, the dungeon - cave - in question was the dwelling of the GCSs. The first one we encountered we survived only through my tactical prowess - at the end of a short corridor, we bumped into one, while going single file. This would be the end of us all, if I hadn't decided to double back and take a detour through a passageway that led to the spider's flank. Just as I neared the thing, it shot a web, immobilizing the entire party. Somehow the lasher in the lead avoided the bite to the head the spider tried to deliver. At this moment I ran up and charged the vile thing from the side, piercing its "head" and knocking it down. That gave the others enough time to break free of the webs and take the spidey apart.
Having had our first brush with death, we recklessly decided to go further in. There were two more, though less interesting encounters with the arachnoid adventurer's bane, after each of which I had to pass some time on the floor, recovering from paralysis, from singly lucky bites that hit me. We were doing pretty well despite that, because the party has hardly had any damage. The only other wounded was the lasher, who got hit in the chest by a stray iron man.
Then I decided to take a stair down...
You know, I never managed to count the number of opponents we had to fight. I remember the first being a spider. It got a hit on me, I stabbed it, then I saw about 3 or so iron men around, and decided that upstairs, with the rest of the party, my chances would be higher. So they were.
I got some 4 tiles away from the stair before succumbing to paralysis. The spider was quickly disposed of by the lasher and the swordsman. Then the iron men charged. The first two tore apart the lasher. One was beheaded by the hammerdwarf. The swordsman incapacitated one more, then was knocked unconscious. The elf somehow survived the initial iron men with just a few wounds, but then another spider got attracted by our fighting, and the elf had to fight him. The hammerdwarf was down below, smashing up iron men (he turned out to be quite good at it), the swordsman was out of commission (lost his sword), and the elf barely killed the spider before bleeding to death.
The situation was quickly going out of control, but the poison finally wore off, and I was back on my feet. Finding nothing better to do, I went to help the hammerdwarf. He was brawling with two severely damaged iron men, and a troglodyte. I impaled the trog on my spear, and decapitated one of the iron men. That probably got the other one pissed, because with two punches he mangled my lower body and hit me in the head, causing me to pass out. In the following 30 seconds of real time I was looking at the hammerdwarf running around the spot I lay at, having finished off the last iron man. I started getting worried when I became thirsty. But dying of dehydration was not what fate chose for me. I got lucky, briefly overcame the pain, and got a round of action at the very moment when we were beset by two more iron men that came from hell knows where. All I managed to do was stand up, then counterstab the iron man's attack, severing his leg. He fell over, and pain overcame me again. His slow attack rate due to being prone was enough to prolong my death, so that barely 10 rounds after the goddamn construct smashed my head, the hammerdwarf finished off the other one, and shattered its body with two hits.

All in all, there were at least a dozen iron men, or so it seemed to be, plus the cave spiders, and some troglodytes. It kinda made me sad that the game does not allow you, as a guiding entity, to take control of another character of your party after your demise, because that dwarf never returned anywhere, and the story was not recorded in legends...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

EPIC!  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...