Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any news when 50.01 gets released classic?  (Read 2444 times)

powercat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any news when 50.01 gets released classic?
« on: December 07, 2022, 01:51:37 pm »

Hello,

I noticed that the Steam version is 50.01, but the ASCII version if 47.05, and is almost 2 years old

Dev's said they'd keep updating the ASCII version.

Any idea when we'll get an update to the ASCII version? thx

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Any news when 50.01 gets released classic?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 01:58:21 pm »

As you've probably seen, Classic is shortly after launch now - basically the next thing I'm working on, and there are just a few things to clean up.  I can't predict what's going to happen with sudden issues and etc. after launch, since it'll be a whole new universe, but if things are settled quickly, it shouldn't take very long.  The conversion is mostly done - there are just a few display issues (title screen, world maps, buildings don't print, sky looks weird, a few buttons don't show.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

powercat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 02:13:49 pm »

Thank you!!

Btw, any way to get the classic ASCII UI with the steam version? I prefer the old ASCII to the graphics

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 02:22:55 pm »

Btw, any way to get the classic ASCII UI with the steam version? I prefer the old ASCII to the graphics

No, it's not ready yet in general.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 05:15:53 pm »

Thank you!!

If there were it would have been released. He's not making us wait just for lols....

powercat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 05:22:00 pm »

Thank you!!

If there were it would have been released. He's not making us wait just for lols....

I guess what I'm asking is, in the future, will the Steam version be able to toggle to classic text UI? or should I just skip the Steam version since I don't want the graphics/mouse UI?

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 05:26:36 pm »

The mouse UI will also be a thing in classic. The only difference between the two will be the graphics, music, and how the UI actually looks.

There's also a "keyboard cursor" option in settings to make designations work without the mouse, though as far as I can tell there's no keyboard-only menu navigation just yet. I threw a suggestion up for it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 05:38:48 pm »

Thank you!!

I guess what I'm asking is, in the future, will the Steam version be able to toggle to classic text UI? or should I just skip the Steam version since I don't want the graphics/mouse UI?
You'll be able to toggle between text and graphic versions yes.
The game will be the same though, so hopefully more useful keybindings will be added before Classic is released.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 05:40:04 pm »

I imagine we will be waiting a bit for that release considering the steam version doesn't have adventure mode.
Seems like theirs a lot to do for the classic version, but I could certainly be wrong

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 05:49:53 pm »

Classic is slated first, I believe.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 06:54:01 pm »

Me, I'm really looking forward to the Mac version, but it will be sad if it's not got the ASCII visuals, I've always loved that about Dwarf Fortress. No doubt it will "happen when it happens" and I'm fine with that. So delighted it's been a successful launch, even if I can't play the game! Very very awesome that it's happened so well.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 06:56:41 pm »

As has been mentioned (and quoted above), classic is what Toady is working on now (well, after the parties I guess....).
So it'll most likely turn up way before Adventurer as that's a huge amount of work.

hirsute_offender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 07:00:16 am »

classic mode is great, but i don't get why they are still releasing the free version

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 07:03:36 am »

classic mode is great, but i don't get why they are still releasing the free version

The steam version is basically a continuation of the patreon they've had for many years, with extra bells and whistles which usually resulted in some sort of content drive for one thing or another (like many of the animal species were suggested by patreons).

Its still essentially a free game as its always been.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 10:48:48 am »

So what content is in the 50.01 release?
Pages: [1] 2