Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Favorite weapon?  (Read 3593 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite weapon?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

Hammer. I love it when I bash something against a wall and every single limb goes flying. Or when I smash something off a cliff. Or when it just lies there with no bones left.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

Have just spent an enjoyable session learning the forgotten art of halberd throwing, having picked one up that was just lying around (next to the body of the guard I just killed)

Thrown halberds seem to have a higher-than-average propensity for scoring headshots.  I can now pile up heads like cannonballs after all the decapitations.

Either that, or I managed to find a magical vorpal halberd!

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

quote:
Throwing damage obviously depends on what you throw. But what are the exact factors i wonder. Weight is probably an issue, damage type is accounted for and such.

Anything moving THAT fast deals piercing damage.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

I vote senority be based on the date the person joined not just posts. Makes me look better.  :D

Aaaanywho.  In regards to throwing weapons, is the throwing damage the same as the weapon's damage or is it just a fraction of it? Related to throw skill?

I'm positive the objects damage numbers influence the damage when it hits but is the damage reduced? Increased? What?

And do heavier things with no damage numbers do more damage than lighter things?  Say if I threw a fly and a statue, would they do the same damage or would the statue do more?  These are the mysteries that keep me awake at night, when I need to go to sleep so that Smash Bros. seems to get here sooner.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>I vote senority be based on the date the person joined not just posts. Makes me look better.   :D

Aaaanywho.  In regards to throwing weapons, is the throwing damage the same as the weapon's damage or is it just a fraction of it? Related to throw skill?

I'm positive the objects damage numbers influence the damage when it hits but is the damage reduced? Increased? What?

And do heavier things with no damage numbers do more damage than lighter things?  Say if I threw a fly and a statue, would they do the same damage or would the statue do more?  These are the mysteries that keep me awake at night, when I need to go to sleep so that Smash Bros. seems to get here sooner.</STRONG>

One more day.  ;)

I would assume from experience that weight determines the knockback of the thrown item. So... a thrown statue would give you the "the human is sent flying by the force of the blow" or related messages more often.

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

Gotta say I enjoy using the whip/scourge as well. It's an uncommon weapon, and lets you get your vampire slayin' action on.

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

For a long time, my favourite weapon was a masterwork adamantine spear.  On my way out of the defunct fortress after retrieving it, my brand-new adventurer walked smack into a tentacle demon.  I threw the spear, it went through the brain, nuff said.

Since I was trained as a swordsdwarf, I switched to the masterwork short sword and  reserved the spear (and the 500 adamantine coins, heh heh) for distance work.  The sword has a tendency to overkill anything I meet.  It doesn't *always* kill *immediately* with the first shot, but it usually does.

Recently, however, I "bought" a basic craftelfship alder short sword from an elven "merchant". (Read: stole from a guard).  It's now my favourite, since it actually allows me to hit things repeatedly, thus increasing my sword skill quickly.

As an aside the rest of the elves actually drew blood!  Couple of pine arrows in the hand.  That's the first time I've been hit with this adventurer, and he's been through dozens of cyclopes/minotaurs/trolls/ettins and hundreds of ---men. (ant, rat, bat, trogs, etc.)  I've taken out a handful of elite gobbo bowmen, but I was always careful to sneak close and spear them.

I'm currently on a quest to find a bronze colossus, but he's in a HUGE cave system, and so far I've only found caveswallowmen, ratmen, antmen, trogs, naked mole dogs, rats, goats and the like.

I want to wrestle him  :)

Oh - I haven't tried it out, but I *did* make two adamantine/birch ballista ammo.  I figure they ought to do good throwing damage.  Didn't find them on my first visit to my fort, and I got spooked by that demon.

Fear the were-carp.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

I've got an adventurer running around in full masterwork adamantine plate+chain armor, with an adamantine backpack, quiver, and cloak...

I made a masterwork adamantine short sword, spear, mace, and crossbow. All in all, I like the sword best. It kills 90% of the time on the first hit, by slicing the target in half. If it doesn't do a fatal hit, it still slices some limb off. It tends to send the enemy flying too (usually when it chops them in half).

I killed the goblins' demon god with it: http://www.screencast.com/t/5Xo6obd6jyz

He gave me a yellow finger (badly burnt, from a fireball) and some sprains and minor burns (brown) from the same fireball. He only hit me with one before he got sliced in half and sent flying 20 spaces into a tree.

I also killed a bronze colossus (twice):  http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-434-killingcolossuswithanadventurer1  http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-435-killingcolossuswithanadventurer2

I've kind of run out of things to do with him, though - it was a tiny world, so there was only one goblin fort, two human towns, a dwarf city, and I don't think there are any elves.

P.S. Your colossus probably isn't in the caves at all. The first time mine was standing outside around 30 squares away from the cave entrance. The second time he was nowhere nearby, but eventually going to 'Creature' and wandering around in increasingly large circles resulted in me finding him.

P.P.S. I severed one of the colossus' limbs in the second movie with a thrown masterwork adamantine crossbow.

[ March 17, 2008: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 06:12:00 am »

I did eventually locate the colossus.  He was on an adjacent map square, which I noticed had the "migrant" marking.  

When we met, I dropped my sword and shield, and wrestled him until I'd broken everything except one shoulder, which I'd crippled.

Sensing that throttling a non-breathing creature was getting me nowhere, I bludgeoned him to death with the alder sword.  It wound up taking off a leg before I was done.

Now one of my favourite throwing weapons is a masterwork bronze statue...

DL

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]