Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Favorite weapon?  (Read 3595 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Favorite weapon?
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:36:00 am »

Personally i like all of them, though hammers are the same as maces pretty much.

My top favorite has to be the whip though. I had the fortune of seeing a masterwork iron whip in a shop once and i snapped it up. Never looked back. THWACK TWHACK THWACK it works on everything. Inflicts HUGE amounts of pain, nixes those organs with ease. Near the end with ultra mighty i was cutting off limbs with it. WHips are defenitly NOT good to start off with, hammers are the best, never get stuck and if your lucky youll start with a maul.

That character basically became a god with 4 layers of chest armour and iron everything. plus the 3 masterwork loincloths   :D

So now im starting again as another human, this time with swords.

Whao combat is so much different. Now i have to worry about unjamming my weapon and those random decapitations are great, hammers cripple well but watching limbs fly is more fun   :cool:

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite weapon?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 03:55:00 am »

Nothing beats the 120mm "live fly" artilery cannons you can find all over the place...
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:55:00 am »

I'm still waiting for Dragon Punch to be implemented.

"Haayyyuuuken!"

"It's unpossible!"

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

I carried around a masterwork greatax that i would throw sometimes.

Howly crap, it was DEVASTATING, anything it hit would be lopped off. Elite bowman? no problem! FLING, cuts him in half! Even worked on ettins too. Never tried it on a dragon though.

Throwing damage obviously depends on what you throw. But what are the exact factors i wonder. Weight is probably an issue, damage type is accounted for and such.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

One thing though.,.. if weight is a major part of this... how does a butterfly crush the skull of a Giant Jaguar?

[ May 06, 2007: Message edited by: Bricktop ]

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

With enough speed, a butterfly can crush ANYTHING! (theoretically...)

F=ma (or f=MA or some combination, I ferget my fizzicks, it's been a long long time.)

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »

Duh... Fizzicks?

Yup, Force = mass x acceleration. I presume DF assumes things come to a halt from collisions in 0 seconds. Acceleration = change in speed/time to change, so when things stop instantaneously acceleration is infinite. This in turn would make the force of impact infinite, no matter what you throw. Game of catch anyone?

[ May 06, 2007: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

"You throw the spinning butterfly"
"The wolf becomes one with the universe"
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

Actually for damage and pain work would make more sense to use. Which would of course be Fd, or force times distance. Since work can be related to kinetic energy via the work-kinetic energy theorem it would more realistically be (1/2)m*v^2. In short the velocity of the object being thrown is much more important.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

I think damage might have a few bugs though.

Im currently beating on this lion that ambushed me, stopped playing for a moment to type.

Anyhow, its a wreck... ive cut off all 4 legs and the tail, all the organs and the spine have heavy damage, and this thing is still clinging to life, hasnt even given in to pain yet!

Okay lets see what happens when i hit it again.

... ouch cleaved in 2, thats one dead lion ^ ^

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

I found that modding the damage values for ranged weapons (actually, the ammo) down by a huge factor (about x1/10) made their damage much more reasonable and in line with the damage from other weapons. Still deadly, but not uber-super-mega-pierce-both-eyes-at-once deadly. Unfortunately (IIRC) I didn't see a way to mod down the damage from improvised non-weapon thrown crud, but if one avoids the temptation to use them it's ok since the AI doesn't.

Of course, there is also still an issue with ranged weapons in terms of the rate at which they can be fired (about one shot per step??? uh... way too fast!).

code:
 [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS]
[NAME:bolt:bolts]
[CLASS:BOLT]
[DAMAGE:15:PIERCE]

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]
[NAME:arrow:arrows]
[CLASS:ARROW]
[DAMAGE:10:PIERCE]

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS]
[NAME:blowdart:blowdarts]
[CLASS:BLOWDART]
[DAMAGE:5:PIERCE]

[ May 11, 2007: Message edited by: PvK ]

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

The AI does occasionally throw... tantruming dwarves have been known to decimate their fellows. And I saw a dwarf throw the refuse he was carrying at a batman that ambushed him! Quality.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

My favorites are pikes, long swords and spears and the occational hammer and axe.
One time I was fighting with a guard so I used the hammer and I hit him and he flew halfway through town, the hammer hit his upper body and he hit a wall but did not die so I just threw rocks, spears, swords, swordfish bones, axes, hammers, armour, corpses, heads and etc.

And I went on to exterminate the town that way but once someone was stuck to a wall beside a tree so i burnt the tree!

bittersweet

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:43:00 am »

I rather like beating goblins to death with the corpses of local children, but thats not really practical all the time so I usually end up using axes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 01:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FaultyLogic:
<STRONG>I'm still waiting for Dragon Punch to be implemented.

"Haayyyuuuken!"</STRONG>

I'm still waiting for magic to be implemented...

Haaaaadoken!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4