Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: [Premium Dwarf Fortress] Graphics / Steam Workshop Megathread  (Read 15111 times)

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Re: [Premium Dwarf Fortress] Graphics / Steam Workshop Megathread
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2023, 03:17:25 pm »

It is pretty much the same format, you just need to add an info.txt file. It will look more wood-ish than the description implies if you don't add any graphics, since the default tree graphics are for... well, trees, but that much is ultimately up to imagination.
Thanks and sorry for the late response, I do imagine it looks pretty much like green wood like overall, with growth rings as it gets compressed by the layers of more growing, only taking on a more moss like appearance on a closer look if that makes any sense.
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2023, 06:49:15 pm »

Do we know why the large tiles seem to have so much extra space? I'm looking at the deer, and it's a 29x36 sprite that's been given a 96x64 space in the spritesheet.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2023, 08:47:30 pm »

Or why the polar bear sprite has the front half on the correct tile and the back half on the next tile over! :v
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2023, 09:49:10 pm »

Well, giving a 64x64 sprite exactly that much room seems to work fine. Also, I was trying to figure out why, no matter what I did with the list icon, Ankylosaurus's graphic wasn't working properly with the embark list. Eventually, I got a hunch and made elephants common domestics to see what would happen. Turns out it's not my fault, big creatures just don't fit into the embark list. Which suits me just fine, since it's both not my fault and thus not my problem!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

paleblood

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2023, 12:39:59 am »

Is it possible to create a tileset with higher resolution for the steam release?

Has anyone got any news on this? im sorry, im not at all experimented in modding, but im still hopeful it might be possible sometime. I just really want to make a complete hand painted graphic reskin

Man0warable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2023, 06:51:36 pm »

Is it possible to create a tileset with higher resolution for the steam release?

Has anyone got any news on this? im sorry, im not at all experimented in modding, but im still hopeful it might be possible sometime. I just really want to make a complete hand painted graphic reskin
All resolution parameters are defined in tile_page files. Specifically, vanilla graphics use the tag [TILE_DIM:32:32] to define a 32x32 resolution tile. As far as I know, there is nothing stopping you from defining higher resolutions like [TILE_DIM:64:64].

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2023, 01:43:05 am »

I don't have a link handy since I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I read where someone tried making tiles of different sizes and it didn't work.  I think creatures do somewhat work, but map tiles didn't.  Something like that.  If you try it, let us know for sure what the results are.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Man0warable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2023, 07:04:30 am »

Just did a quick test trying to replace grass graphics, and it seems that the engine is hardcoded to render the environment at 32x32. Using a 64x64 tile causes that tile to display the full 64x64 image taking up the space of 4 tiles. This causes overlay issues where 3 of the adjacent tiles try to overlay their graphics on top of the intruding graphics and flicker when creatures pass over. I didn't test whether something outside of the vanilla_environment folder would work properly yet.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2023, 11:04:01 am »

Is it possible to amend new, different graphics to vanilla creatures from a mod without replacing the creature entirely and adding new graphics ?

In my mod there are 2 dwarf creatures how can I get the vanilla dwarfs to use the graphics from my custom dwarfs ?

Doesn't seem possable atm but if some one knows a way I'd love some input 🫠

I tried making them a graphics_graphics.txt to use those items but it seems like they default to their normal one

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2023, 04:03:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's not possible, no.  You have to replace the whole definition as far as I know.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2023, 09:48:55 am »

Does anyone know if there's a way to do correct layered creature graphics with babies and children having different sprites?

From what I'm seeing on the wiki, layered graphics have [CONDITION_CHILD] and [CONDITION_NOT_CHILD] available, but these check for both children and babies, with no argument for anything like age.  If you use non-layered graphics, like for gorlaks, you can specify BABY, CHILD, or DEFAULT as a condition for the entire creature's graphics.  It's not really obvious how you'd combine these.

My guess is that you can do something like

[LAYER_SET:BABY]
(add in layers as needed)
[LAYER_SET:CHILD]
[LAYER_SET:DEFAULT]

But as far as I can tell no creature does this in vanilla DF so I'm not sure it will work.  The wiki's explanation for the creature graphics tokens implies that BABY, CHILD, and DEFAULT should work for LAYER_SET though.

My proposal above does not work.  For some reason, if you do what I did and just try to copy and tweak the [LAYER_SET:DEFAULT] layers into a new [LAYER_SET:CHILD] group, the game won't parse the layer tags correctly.  It was randomly spewing errors about item graphics tags not being recognized and then random text in the file like the -- does not exist notes on some lines.

What does work is something similar to what the game does for the [CONDITION_PROFESSION_CATEGORY:CHILD] conditions.  For each layer, you have to duplicate the layers above the adult graphics for the layer, and add that condition to it.  Or, better yet, use [CONDITION_CHILD] instead.  That doesn't conflict with other profession check tags, and is easier to spot.

That does seem to work.  I've got some issues in my mod with clothing colors being jacked up now, but that's on me.  It was intentional that this would no longer make all kids have red clothes, so that's something that'll take some getting used to.

I don't know if the baby graphics work yet, but I strongly suspect that they don't.  Most likely the [LAYER_SET:BABY] I specified is ignored as invalid and the [CONDITION_CHILD] layers will get picked up instead.  I'll find out once I have some babies.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 12:31:31 am by Telgin »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]