Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [Premium Dwarf Fortress] Graphics / Steam Workshop Megathread  (Read 15113 times)

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
Re: [Premium Dwarf Fortress] Graphics / Steam Workshop Megathread
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2022, 02:31:24 pm »

Okay, cool discovery. The new classic version (50.04) has the option to turn off ascii graphics. This makes the game unplayable, because there aren't any graphics packs to replace them. BUT, if you copy some of the vanilla_graphics folders to the classic folder, they will load correctly.

This means that we can make our own graphics packs for the free version, so long as they are comprehensive!

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2022, 02:49:25 pm »

Even better: Because of DF 50.x's new mod loading system, graphics packs can actually be made and installed piecemeal; different authors can create graphics for different parts of the game, and the user can pick and choose which graphics to install and use.

If we could at least get one complete set of graphics going for the classic version, that'd be a big step forward.

The world map, the interface and the in-play graphics(creatures, tiles, etc.) are all largely isolated from one another.

This isn't really graphics related, but it might make sense to better organize the vanilla raws beforehand, to take advantage of the loading system to allow the player to disable specific features(races, creatures, etc.) as desired, or to replace them.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2022, 03:07:05 pm »

Did anyone actually used the mod system to edit the interface? my impression is that the new system only support modding of what is inside the new data\vanilla folder, meanwhile the interface which reside in data\art can't be modded using new mod system only through manual replacement. I am wrong?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2022, 03:08:24 pm »

Most of the interface is actually in data/vanilla/vanilla_interface on the steam release, the classic version just doesn't have all the graphics stuff. You can mod in your own interface graphics just fine.

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2022, 03:16:34 pm »

And the stuff that's inside data/art is only for the main menu stuff i think, and in large part can be omitted.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2022, 05:14:34 pm »

So I am correct that modding is only supported for data\vanilla?

Most of the interface is actually in data/vanilla/vanilla_interface on the steam release
True.

And the stuff that's inside data/art is only for the main menu stuff i think, and in large part can be omitted.
Mostly. The border also applies to the in-game help window. I haven't tested the rest.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2022, 05:58:05 pm »

So I am correct that modding is only supported for data\vanilla?

In what regard?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2022, 06:58:41 pm »

That the new mod system can't change \data\art and I suspect anything else outside of data\vanilla.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 07:00:17 pm by jipehog »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2022, 07:32:17 pm »

You can add stuff, but yes, the types of objects in /data/vanilla are the only types of objects you can change.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2022, 11:58:57 am »

Some general info I haven't seen elsewhere below. Note that I compiled this info manually, so I cannot guarantee not having missed something.

Graphics-related objects are split into three groups: tile pages, palettes, and other graphics.

The tile page files begin with "tile_page_something", and "[OBJECT:TILE_PAGE]". The objects for the tile pages are unsurprisingly "TILE_PAGE", so a tile page definition starts with "[TILE_PAGE:OBJECT_ID]". They have four subtokens: FILE, TILE_DIM, PAGE_DIM, and PAGE_DIM_PIXELS. FILE and TILE_DIM are seemingly always used, with one of PAGE_DIM and PAGE_DIM_PIXELS as the third subtoken.

The palette files begin with "palette_something", and "[OBJECT:PALETTE]". The objects for the tile pages are unsurprisingly "PALETTE", so a tile page definition starts with "[PALETTE:OBJECT_ID]". They have three subtokens: FILE, PALETTE_DEFAULT, and PALETTE_COLOR. The only palette object which exists in vanilla, vanilla_descriptors_graphics/palette_default.txt/PALETTE:DEFAULT, uses one FILE token, one PALETTE_DEFAULT, and then several PALETTE_COLOR, what I assume is one for every vanilla COLOR object.

The other graphics begin with "graphics_something", and "[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]". There are several kinds of objects which can then be included in a graphics raw file:
  • TILE_GRAPHICS
  • TILE_GRAPHICS_RECTANGLE
  • CREATURE_GRAPHICS
  • STATUE_CREATURE_GRAPHICS
  • SHAPE_GRAPHICS_SMALL_GEM
  • SHAPE_GRAPHICS_LARGE_GEM
  • ASCII_GRAPHICS
  • ASCII_RECTANGLE
  • ROUGH_GEM_GRAPHICS
  • BOULDER_GRAPHICS
  • BARS_GRAPHICS
  • FOOD_GRAPHICS
  • ARMOR_GRAPHICS
  • GLOVES_GRAPHICS
  • HELM_GRAPHICS
  • PANTS_GRAPHICS
  • SHOES_GRAPHICS
  • SHOES_GRAPHICS_METAL
  • SHIELD_GRAPHICS
  • SHIELD_GRAPHICS_WOODEN
  • TOY_GRAPHICS
  • TRAPCOMP_GRAPHICS
  • SIEGEAMMO_GRAPHICS
  • AMMO_GRAPHICS
  • WEAPON_GRAPHICS
  • TOOL_GRAPHICS
  • PLANT_GRAPHICS
There is also "FOOD_CONTAINER_GRAPHICS" found in vanilla_items_graphics/graphics_containers.txt and "WOOD_GRAPHICS" in vanilla_items_graphics/graphics_items.txt, but these are deactivated, and may thus not work.
Of the above, only the following clearly have subtokens:
  • CREATURE_GRAPHICS
  • STATUE_CREATURE_GRAPHICS
  • SIEGEAMMO_GRAPHICS
  • AMMO_GRAPHICS
  • WEAPON_GRAPHICS
  • PLANT_GRAPHICS
This is clear because the line starting the object does only do that, and name an object id. This object id presumably needs to be the same as that of the (creature, ammo, plant, etc.) object you're giving graphics. The other graphics objects are more like BODYGLOSS; seemingly one-line constructions that contain all information without subtokens. It's unclear how it is with TRAPCOMP_GRAPHICS and TOOL_GRAPHICS, since they might have subtokens (e.g. TRAPCOMP_GRAPHICS_WEAPON_TRAP, TOOL_GRAPHICS_WOOD), but also convey more information than id in the first line. ROUGH_GEM_GRAPHICS, BOULDER_GRAPHICS, BARS_GRAPHICS, and some TILE_GRAPHICS are also indented, suggesting they may be subtokens.

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2022, 09:15:16 pm »

Do we have a comprehensive list of the different condition tokens, i.e. those like the [CONDITION_PROFESSION_CATEGORY:METALSMITH] token in the graphics_creatures_layered file? I've been writing up a page (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Graphics_token) on the wiki on the new graphics tokens as I create my own graphics mod, since a consolidated resource would greatly help any modders interested in the Steam release.

Not sure if Shonai, Meph or anyone else in the know can help with revealing the new graphics tokens if they have a list, but if they could that would be a tremendous help!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2022, 04:13:44 am »

The DF language server (which is being developed by Ralpha and Mr Crabman) seems to have been updated with much of it. (https://gitlab.com/df-modding-tools/df-raw-language-server/-/tree/dev/df_ls_structure/src/objects)
According to Ralpha in the project's discord (in language server/#general), they were 80-90% done with the graphics tokens, and 70% done with other new raw tokens, a few days ago.

NikoKun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2022, 11:49:43 am »

Are Premium mod-makers posting Download links for their mods, in any other location besides Steam? Cause it's possible to purchase and download the premium version on Itch, without a Steam account, however there doesn't appear to be any way to download mods outside of steam. Which is a pretty big issue IMO.. :/
I assume most of them don't realize this is an issue.. It's just sad that steam is holding a monopoly on mods..

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2022, 12:00:40 pm »

Are Premium mod-makers posting Download links for their mods, in any other location besides Steam? Cause it's possible to purchase and download the premium version on Itch, without a Steam account, however there doesn't appear to be any way to download mods outside of steam. Which is a pretty big issue IMO.. :/
I assume most of them don't realize this is an issue.. It's just sad that steam is holding a monopoly on mods..

You totally can upload mods on places like DFFD, but I reckon too that the new Steam modders don't have any idea about this. Might be worth putting a PSA somewhere they hang out, like the Steam forums, Kitfox discord, and probably the wiki.

Rato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2022, 07:13:21 pm »

You totally can upload mods on places like DFFD, but I reckon too that the new Steam modders don't have any idea about this. Might be worth putting a PSA somewhere they hang out, like the Steam forums, Kitfox discord, and probably the wiki.

I'd very much appreciate this being on the wiki for new modders. Though it seems some modders do it intentionally for some reason.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5