Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i cant make pi or steel  (Read 996 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i cant make pi or steel
« on: November 30, 2022, 08:44:57 pm »

magma smelter..... check
iron bearing ores check
flux................... check
charcoal.............check

why cant i make pig iron?
using masterwork most recent edition
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:59:50 am by ltprifti »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i cant make pi or steel
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 09:08:45 pm »

Haven't touched masterwork in so long, but if I remember correctly for vanilla, you have to smelt iron bars, then convert those to pig iron.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 09:15:10 pm »

ive got tons of both i more meant that i got everything i need and not showing up in smelter

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 09:44:38 pm »

Maybe the workshop is linked to a stockpile so it can't accept other items. If you 'q' your smelter and hit Enter on the pig iron job, it will show the ingredients (red-font or white-font). Then investigate where the red-font items are located.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 10:36:49 pm »

Maybe the workshop is linked to a stockpile so it can't accept other items. If you 'q' your smelter and hit Enter on the pig iron job, it will show the ingredients (red-font or white-font). Then investigate where the red-font items are located.
thats what im saying its not even showing on the list

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 11:35:12 pm »

you need smelter (not forge) is my guess.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 03:11:26 am »

That list doesn't include a smelter, that's why you can't smelt. You need a smelter to make the iron-bearing ores into iron, then to make the iron bars into pig iron, then to make the pig iron bars into steel. It doesn't have to be a magma smelter, but it will use less coal than a normal smelter.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 09:00:27 am »

That list doesn't include a smelter, that's why you can't smelt. You need a smelter to make the iron-bearing ores into iron, then to make the iron bars into pig iron, then to make the pig iron bars into steel. It doesn't have to be a magma smelter, but it will use less coal than a normal smelter.

my typo is the only error.... but i havnt played in like 4 years
it is a magam smelter not forge

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 09:00:52 am »

im cranking our iron bars but cant upgrade them

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 09:04:05 am »

its not letting me take a screen shot....
all the options are to smelt ores no bars listed

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 10:44:24 am »

by the way, Masterwork is a total conversion mod, so this might be a confusing question here in general Dwarf mode chat.
for example, it surely depends what race you are playing as, which you haven't mentioned.

Orcs, the magma smelter should work fine.
Dwarves, you may need a separate building called something like "metallurgist" to make alloys?  (but i am not sure, i haven't played or looked at the code for this mode in many years)
Humans, i think you may not be able to make steel?  (but i am not sure, i have... never?  played this mode...)
Other races, I would just be guessing.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 01:54:33 pm »

im a dwarf, and i see these other structures its added but the thread seems to suggest those structures are for added content not the vanilla stuff, but im still working on the science

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 02:32:31 pm »

by the way, Masterwork is a total conversion mod, so this might be a confusing question here in general Dwarf mode chat.
for example, it surely depends what race you are playing as, which you haven't mentioned.

Orcs, the magma smelter should work fine.
Dwarves, you may need a separate building called something like "metallurgist" to make alloys?  (but i am not sure, i haven't played or looked at the code for this mode in many years)
Humans, i think you may not be able to make steel?  (but i am not sure, i have... never?  played this mode...)
Other races, I would just be guessing.

ur right, i made some cauldrons made the metalurgist shop and pi and steel are there, wiki mentioned nothing about it :) thanks