Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why does the adamantine stuff vanish from my abandoned f  (Read 1612 times)

Wuggles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why does the adamantine stuff vanish from my abandoned f
« on: April 25, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

So, decided to finally give adventure mode a go, and figured I'd gather up all the adamantine stuff I'd forged and make a little stockpile at the entrance to the fort before I abandoned it.  I created a small room with the appropriate stockpiles set to accept only adamantine items, waited for the dwarves to move the stuff into there, then locked the door and abandoned the fort.

When I go to pay it a visit in adventure mode, every other weapon and armor stockpile still exists, all the bins overflowing with steel goodies, but all the bins of adamantine stuff have mysteriously vanished.  Tried reverting to my fortress save and re-abandoning it with the adamantine goods in different rooms, and they are absent every single time when I arrive in adventure mode.

What gives?

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why does the adamantine stuff vanish from my abandoned f
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

Stuff that was just lying around in dwarf mode (including stuff in stockpiles, which makes it pretty weird that yours were still full) gets scattered around randomly when you leave, making it difficult to actually find anything. Your best bet is to leave the stuff in the building it was created in, since if it's there, it doesn't move.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

Also, goods in the trade depot won't move either, or so it seems.

Master BOB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

Hm, I had no problems with my steel axes. I brought them (and some other weapons) to a stockpile outside the mountain, and when I went there in adventure mode, all the stuff was still there.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

(Warning: thread necromancy!)

I just a abandoned a fort, with all my adamantine equipment sitting in the forges they were made in (marked forbidden so nobody would move it), and when I got to the fort, they weren't there anymore. I found a few pieces sitting in bins in some armor stockpile, but didn't find the rest.

Edit: And the adamantine stuff in bins I put in the trade depot this time weren't there when I arrived either. I found one of the bins - with armor in it - outside in the wilderness. Oddly, all the bolts and bins of bolts were in the depot still.

[ March 16, 2008: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>(Warning: thread necromancy!)</STRONG>

Are you aware of the version these people were playing?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

WOW.

Shadowlord: Legenday thread necromancer.

These people were playing 0.27.123.38A...the 2-d version. Where mining adamantine ended the game and every site had all features. THIS IS OLDER THAN DIRT.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wooty:
<STRONG>THIS IS OLDER THAN DIRT.</STRONG>

Your fault for generating a new world every couple weeks.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

Despite the lengthy hiatus, this thread is still valid.
Instead of pointing out how old the thread is, let's give some suitable advice.

Unfortunately, I have no clue to to preserve items for adventure mode. I've never really looked into letting my adventurers loot something specific from my fort. Anyone have any tips?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

I heard that sticking weapons in a weapon rack will keep them on that rack,similar cases for other buildings that contain goodies,such as the afor-mentioned trade depot.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

Stuff that's in bins which are in a stockpile appear to be staying put - I got my armor, weapons, and adamantine quiver and cloak to stay put. The adamantine backpack which was in a stockpile but NOT in a bin, however, teleported across the map.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

My last fort's Weapon stockpile was untouched and everything was in a bin. No idea which is related. It held an artifact bismuth spear, Kiddirimir!  :D Quite a find for my adventurer.

Putting stuff in stands sounds handy though, I wish I had known that before I abandoned. Then again, I didn't have anything valuable; no trees, no coal, no metalsmithing.

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

I'm thinking of doing something along these lines myself... :P I hate looking for the merchants in adventure mode. And you can't ask anyone "Which way is it to the local armor shop?"...

So, are bins the key?

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

Wait... how do you put objects in racks?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

You don't put objects in racks.

Whether or not items are scattered depends on weight. This is why iron chain mail and leggings will remain on a guard you killed, while his measly guantlets and rope reed shirt will be scattered.

Adamantine is very light. Therefore it scatters no matter what, because it weighs practically nothing compared to iron or steel.

Pages: [1] 2