Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gaining Weapon Experiance  (Read 1192 times)

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gaining Weapon Experiance
« on: April 22, 2007, 11:06:00 am »

How does ones adventurer gain weapon experiance. Is it via the number of hits dealt out, the number of kills or another mechanism?

If the former (no of hits) would equiping a bad weapon (plain copper) prove benificial for training purposes?

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
Re: Gaining Weapon Experiance
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

im pretty certain its kills, but i might be wrong
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

I think I've seen my experience go up on a non-kill hit, but I've definitely seen it not go up on a hit, too, and I think I've seen it not go up on a kill. I don't really know what to make of it.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:26:00 am »

it might be every certain number of little kills (eg 5 ratmen at legendary) or 1 big kill (eg a titan/dragon)
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

AFAIK it's just the number of swings you take, which provide around 10 points a piece. However, you don't get any points for hitting a knocked-over opponent, since I believe you automatically hit opponents that aren't standing. The fastest way to train is probably to go prone in a ruin to let a dozen skeletons whack at you, triggering your own experience-building counterattacks. Of course, you can't do that until you're a walking tank defense-wise.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

quote:
which provide around 10 points a piece

I dont think that that is correct as i can take about 10 swings at a goblin thats standing up, all hitting and not getting any exp (or next to none)

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

Prone, sleeping, unconscious, stunned enemies dont give you weapon experience, you only get the experience from HITTING a standing opponent.

Which isnt very much.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

10 xp a hit, 0 if the target is prone. Any inconsistencies are caused by targets being knocked down during fighting/accidently counterattacking somebody else.

to train sword skill, wrestle a wooden sword from an elf, dump it on a shrup next to the edge of a map, put it on fire and bake it till its nice and crispy XXswordXX, unequip all flameable items, drop them on the ground, pick up the sword, run off the map, enter again and pick up the rest of your items.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

heh, My dwarf can one hit Titans, and collosus's with only 1600 points in axe (which is his highest weapon other than wrestling which is at 5200) heh did I mention he's a walking fort? :P
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »

The amount of XP you get in a weapon (or dodge/shield block) skill is equal to the opponent's dodge/block/parry (or attack) roll.  I might alter this a bit in the future and add some other general combat skills when I do the Combat Arc to reflect the training you would get from attack dummies or prone opponents, but attacking a skilled opponent will still be the best way to learn by far.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>The amount of XP you get in a weapon (or dodge/shield block) skill is equal to the opponent's dodge/block/parry (or attack) roll.  I might alter this a bit in the future and add some other general combat skills when I do the Combat Arc to reflect the training you would get from attack dummies or prone opponents, but attacking a skilled opponent will still be the best way to learn by far.</STRONG>

Like with marksdwarfship?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

Yeah, that's an example -- right now you get 30 XP or something like that per shot with a ranged weapon.  This is because you are practicing most of the skills you need.  This doesn't include hitting a moving enemy though, for example.  Melee weapons are set up the other way right now -- you don't get any experience at all for attacking somebody that doesn't resist, and you probably should get some knowledge about how to swing your weapon when you do that, although you won't learn a thing about many of the general aspects of combat, or the specific aspects of overcoming an active defense with your chosen weapon.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 05:44:00 am »

Im a walking tank (attack and defence wise)!
Even with a punch i send guards flying!

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

A good way to increase your earned weapon experience, I've found, is to change your combat settings (hit 'c') so that you don't charge enemies.

Not charging -> less likely to knock down enemies -> more experience