Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minimum burrow for a happy(?) and productive dwarf.  (Read 943 times)

PHLP_Neo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minimum burrow for a happy(?) and productive dwarf.
« on: November 23, 2022, 01:07:03 am »

Hello, my fellow dwarves.

I want to create assembly lines like Satisfactory and Factorio. Afterall, we have dwarves, rails, minecarts, fuel(alcohol), and work orders.

All we need is production unit: a room where we can lock a dwarf in and forget about it (well, maybe we need to replace said dwarf every 100 years, but you know even the best machine need maintenance). The raw materials enter the room, magic happens inside the room, and finished product exit the room. This also doubles as a work at home opportunity with minimal risk of unfortunate accidents and 100% job security.

The room shall cover everything the dwarves need forever and a few things to keep them happy (as disposable as they are, a happy dwarf finishes their work faster), and remain compact and light at the same time.

Here is my design, a 4*5 room that (should) cover everything a dwarf need in his entire life:

*Every dwarf has a chance to be removed from their production unit due to strange mood, but the rarity of such event and the fact you can send the dwarf right back after they finished their break make it an acceptable drawback*
Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution that works.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum burrow for a happy(?) and productive dwarf.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 08:01:50 pm »

...wow.

I mean, my dorfs are considered "free range" even compared to players who aren't factory farming them in little cubes, but... wow. Your playstyle is officially as far from mine as I think it's possible to go.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 08:47:11 pm »

...wow.

I mean, my dorfs are considered "free range" even compared to players who aren't factory farming them in little cubes, but... wow. Your playstyle is officially as far from mine as I think it's possible to go.

be prepared the new version is going to inundate the community with "factorio" types. aka the most gamey kind of player. hehe. also we will retread the past ten years of DF theoreticals in the coming months. .

so what about socialization needs? needs for fighting? needs for having children?

as long as you accept the fact a certain percentage of your horror-cubes will result in severe depression and anxiety disorders I would say go for it!

just don't let my boss know about your ideas. . .

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 06:30:46 pm »

Mmm.  We are uncertain how practical this actually would be.

How well can it handle having to feed, alcohol, and cloth multiple Dwarfs?  We see your Design calls for a single Route to take Supplies in and carry Goods out, how would that work if it runs on a serial Circuit?  Do you think it might work better if the Food, Booze, and Clothing Supplies ran on a different Route using the same Track, so it can return to a central Stockpile between Dwarfs - thus running on a parallel Circuit - while raw Materiel runs from Dwarf to Dwarf on a serial Circuit?

What Percentage of your Dwarfs would you be installing into these?  Have you considered what Percentage of your Dwarfs would remain in the Available Haulers Pool, and the Effect it would have on base-Level Resource Gathering?  Is the underlying Infrastructure automated or Dwarf-powered?  If it is automated, how much Power do you estimate an average Assembly Line to use?  If it is Dwarf-powered, how many Dwarfs would you expect it to need?

What Industries are these for?  How gracefully can it handle over- and under- supplying?  Have you considered how it would handle the left-over Bags from a Glass Industry?

Can it provide mental Stimulation?  Do you plan to use these for unskilled Labour?  Have you considered the known negative Effects of Solitude, Lack of mental Stimulation, and Lack of skilled Labour on Dwarfs?

Are you aware that Dwarfs need to get forcibly evicted from their Barracks to attend to their mental, spiritual, and social Needs?

PHLP_Neo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 03:44:29 am »

How well can it handle having to feed, alcohol, and cloth multiple Dwarfs?  We see your Design calls for a single Route to take Supplies in and carry Goods out, how would that work if it runs on a serial Circuit?

I am working on the logic part of the design, ideally, I would want to have separate production unit that take in food, drinks and raw material from three minecart feeder and combine all the item to the fourth minecart that feeds the production unit. The food, alcohol and cloth should be easy to regulate since dwarf dont need too much of them and I can resupply them every few years.

What Percentage of your Dwarfs would you be installing into these?  Have you considered what Percentage of your Dwarfs would remain in the Available Haulers Pool, and the Effect it would have on base-Level Resource Gathering?  Is the underlying Infrastructure automated or Dwarf-powered?  If it is automated, how much Power do you estimate an average Assembly Line to use?  If it is Dwarf-powered, how many Dwarfs would you expect it to need?

I want over half of my dwarves work on the assembly line, not all of them will be workers, and I think about half of them will in their own hauling room combing or splitting their inputs. The stockpiles outside the assembly line shall be minimum: everything that is produced in the fort aside from mining will be produced form the assembly line, from farming unit to workshop unit to item distribution center (where all the hauler will sort their goods there). The assembly line shall be failry close to each other so that impulse ramp and roller are not required, and push are sufficient.[size=78%] [/size]

What Industries are these for?  How gracefully can it handle over- and under- supplying?  Have you considered how it would handle the left-over Bags from a Glass Industry?

I think one prominent use of this system (and the one I am currently working on) is to mass produce rare metals. Namely divine metals for the dragon-fire proof mechanism and candy for massive battle gears. My design for this system involves x production units, x melting units,1 resource control unit and 2x+1 dwarves. In practice it shall generate divine metal at a steady pace for at least a decade without any maintenance needed. The resource control dwarf will receive clothing, food and drink from three other stockpiles (which is send into his unit by minecarts), combine them and distribute them evenly to two minecart, he will also receive divine metal bars from the melting unit and metal coin from the smithing unit and exchange them.

There are some more design I need to experiment on to make the production unit function better, such as a system to stop input from resource control unit so the next workshop in line will get it instead. My currently method is another 1*2 track with stops, pressure plate and 1*1 stockpile, it will work but is not very space efficient.

Can it provide mental Stimulation?  Do you plan to use these for unskilled Labour?  Have you considered the known negative Effects of Solitude, Lack of mental Stimulation, and Lack of skilled Labour on Dwarfs?

The room contains bedroom, dining room, military training, temple, prepared roast, stone floor for the dwarves to engrave on their leisure, and two statues at the entrance. I think the dwarf should be happy. There is a problem of solitude, but if I drag the new recruit to their cells immediately without forming too many connections, I think they will be fine. I can even turn the gabage dump into a fountain, but I think that would be overkill.

Are you aware that Dwarfs need to get forcibly evicted from their Barracks to attend to their mental, spiritual, and social Needs?

If a vampire can stay locked in isolated room for hundreds of years and sealing away part of a fortress' residence completely is a viable option for an immortal fortress, I think the dwarves will be fine.
Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution that works.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 10:34:12 am »

The social needs of vampires (and were-folk) is probably a deception. Many dwarfs will crack after the rush of military-skill increases wears off. Of course, if you have migrants...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 09:04:28 pm »

Sealing a vampire in a featureless room is a viable way to make an eternal fortress because even just a single insane dwarf is enough to keep your fortress from crumbling. You'd be a lot more hard-pressed to keep that vampire happy in there. I admire your dedication to factory-farming, but I don't see how it's any more efficient than well-organized stockpiles managed by free-range dwarves.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 12:21:52 am »

I am working on the logic part of the design, ideally, I would want to have separate production unit that take in food, drinks and raw material from three minecart feeder and combine all the item to the fourth minecart that feeds the production unit. The food, alcohol and cloth should be easy to regulate since dwarf dont need too much of them and I can resupply them every few years.

Ah, We see.

I want over half of my dwarves work on the assembly line, not all of them will be workers, and I think about half of them will in their own hauling room combing or splitting their inputs. The stockpiles outside the assembly line shall be minimum: everything that is produced in the fort aside from mining will be produced form the assembly line, from farming unit to workshop unit to item distribution center (where all the hauler will sort their goods there). The assembly line shall be failry close to each other so that impulse ramp and roller are not required, and push are sufficient.

But how will this affect their Resource Gathering Speed?  In particular, Mining and Woodcutting require a fair amount of Haulers to gather up the Products with any Speed.

I think one prominent use of this system (and the one I am currently working on) is to mass produce rare metals. Namely divine metals for the dragon-fire proof mechanism and candy for massive battle gears. My design for this system involves x production units, x melting units,1 resource control unit and 2x+1 dwarves. In practice it shall generate divine metal at a steady pace for at least a decade without any maintenance needed. The resource control dwarf will receive clothing, food and drink from three other stockpiles (which is send into his unit by minecarts), combine them and distribute them evenly to two minecart, he will also receive divine metal bars from the melting unit and metal coin from the smithing unit and exchange them.

There are some more design I need to experiment on to make the production unit function better, such as a system to stop input from resource control unit so the next workshop in line will get it instead. My currently method is another 1*2 track with stops, pressure plate and 1*1 stockpile, it will work but is not very space efficient.

This does appear to be functional once finished.  However, We should like to know how long it takes to set up, and perhaps how long it would need to run before it overtakes a traditional Setup started at the same Time.

The room contains bedroom, dining room, military training, temple, prepared roast, stone floor for the dwarves to engrave on their leisure, and two statues at the entrance. I think the dwarf should be happy. There is a problem of solitude, but if I drag the new recruit to their cells immediately without forming too many connections, I think they will be fine. I can even turn the gabage dump into a fountain, but I think that would be overkill.

By mental Stimulation We meant the Need for Abstract Thought, which requires a Library with Books.

If you use Stone Detailing as a skilled Labour, be aware that smoothing Masterpieces will upset them.

Also, Dwarfs do not need to have social Connections to want them.  We Ourselves have a Dwarf who suffers from having neither Friends nor Family.  It might be better to allow Dwarfs working at the same Function to interact with each Other, by combining their Units into multi-Workshop ones.

If a vampire can stay locked in isolated room for hundreds of years and sealing away part of a fortress' residence completely is a viable option for an immortal fortress, I think the dwarves will be fine.

We believed sending the accursed Creatures insane through profound Unhappiness was a happy Effect of using them for such Purposes?