Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DFFD Downtime Explanation  (Read 18449 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: DFFD Downtime Explanation
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2022, 05:51:10 pm »

Thanks for all the work! It's nice seeing links to orphaned files seemingly still work, even if the file descriptions are gone. :)
Yeah, the files themselves were fine. Just with no actual data in the database about them, not even the intended filename. They're stored on disk named after their file ID. I'm particularly glad now that I added basic scrapeable static JSON data (example) for each file a few years back, to help tools track updates of uploaded files. Those thankfully exist as actual files outside the database, which allowed me to feed their data back into the recreated file listings. :)
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2022, 07:24:38 pm »

Hey Janus,

Accidently resigned up with my hotmail email and since hotmail emails don't work i cannot get back in. Can you help?

Additionally if you need any help restoring orphan files names and users. I know an amount of them from saved posts.

Hope you are doing well
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 07:27:09 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2022, 08:12:08 pm »

Hey Janus,

Accidently resigned up with my hotmail email and since hotmail emails don't work i cannot get back in. Can you help?

Additionally if you need any help restoring orphan files names and users. I know an amount of them from saved posts.

Hope you are doing well
I've gone ahead and manually activated your account. I recommend switching your email address in your user settings.
https://dffd.bay12games.com/panel.php?node=profile

EDIT:
That did remind me of the note I had on the registration page about Microsoft email services, which apparently I'd added since 2015. Just noticed I'd missed it. Went ahead and added it back with the help of the Wayback Machine.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:36:20 pm by Janus »
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2022, 08:20:11 pm »

Thank you very much
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 08:40:51 pm »

Interesting… it seems that the “author” info is still intact for the orphaned files.  That should make processing them a lot easier…

Edit: 

Step 1:  at the top, click on “search”.

Step 2:  under “search words”, enter your username (the one you used before the “incident”, in case you reregistered with a different username).

Step 3:  under “search category”, choose “orphaned files”.

Step 4:  click “start search”.

You should now be presented with a list of orphaned files that you uploaded.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:48:50 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2022, 12:34:28 am »

By the way, I should add that I don't really need a full list of all of your file listings, just one file listing that has a link to it on another site (such as here). When I reassign your new account as file author, I'll do so collectively for all orphaned files with the same author name.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2022, 03:39:20 am »

I'm not able to use the Contact Admin form to send a message - it gives me an error saying that the autofilled email that is both correct, and not something I can manually edit in the form, is an invalid email address! Can I send the recovery request in a (easy to miss) forum PM instead?

Edit: Since voliol mentioned it and it could be useful, mine is also an @gmail.com address.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 11:35:35 am by Atkana »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2022, 10:24:11 am »

I'm not able to use the Contact Admin form to send a message - it gives me an error saying that the (autofilled email that is both correct, and not something I can manually edit in the form) is an invalid email address! Can I send the recovery request in a (easy to miss) forum PM instead?

The same goes for me. Mine is an "@gmail.com" address, if that should help.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2022, 12:53:06 pm »

I'm not able to use the Contact Admin form to send a message - it gives me an error saying that the autofilled email that is both correct, and not something I can manually edit in the form, is an invalid email address! Can I send the recovery request in a (easy to miss) forum PM instead?

Edit: Since voliol mentioned it and it could be useful, mine is also an @gmail.com address.
The same goes for me. Mine is an "@gmail.com" address, if that should help.

Apologies, I updated the site's overall regex for email validation to fix acceptance of some newer TLDs, and the contact form in particular didn't like that change. It's fixed now.

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2022, 06:43:56 pm »

Is there any chance that the orphaned files could have their actual filenames added to their titles, just so it'd be easier to see what they are without having to download them?

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2022, 01:01:11 am »

Is there any chance that the orphaned files could have their actual filenames added to their titles, just so it'd be easier to see what they are without having to download them?
That's a good suggestion, thanks. I think I'll see about doing that in the next day or two.

EDIT:
Done. File listing titles for the orphaned file range have been updated to include the filename, except for such listings that already had their title changed by the author.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 08:23:18 am by Janus »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2022, 04:30:56 am »

I just updated a bunch of underlying code for the site, mainly to take advantage of newer versions of PHP. Also some improvements to character encoding for some languages which broke in some cases, and an improved password recovery system. Also, the site's emails are now sent with both HTML and plaintext versions available to whatever client or site you use to view them, which should also appease some spam filters a bit more.

Quite a few compatibility changes to the site's code had to be made, so it's possible my testing pass through the site missed something somewhere which got broken and still needs to be fixed.
If anyone runs into any problems, let me know.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2022, 06:45:54 am »

Looks like I joined in 2014, thankfully.

That the files still exist and old links still work is the most important thing, especially considering that's where people were told to host their bugged saves for the official tracker.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2022, 01:12:30 am »

That the files still exist and old links still work is the most important thing, especially considering that's where people were told to host their bugged saves for the official tracker.

Yep, that's what I've used DFFD for.

I did regain control of my files a day or two ago (I had to create a new account) after requesting for them. Re-updated their names, descriptions and category. Thanks again Janus (nice name)

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2022, 11:09:47 am »

Hey Janus,
Used the contact form to request control of my files again. Can you confirm my request went through?

Thanks -
Kiira
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4