Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aluminum Armor  (Read 768 times)

Draegur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aluminum Armor
« on: November 17, 2022, 02:30:01 am »

Just gonna shoot my shot: let's have aluminum armor.

We know aluminum's mechanical properties. Given how insanely light it is, though, it might be interesting to see how it performs in combat. I predict: not great. Better than copper but only insofar as dwarves have an easier time moving.

Light and non-encumbering similar to leather, but roughly only as durable as copper.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminum Armor
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 11:04:42 am »

Given DF's technology limit, aluminum metal should be impossible to create. It wasn't even discovered until 1825, and the primary means of refining it requires huge amounts of electricity as well, so accurate aluminum production via technological means would clearly break the entire feel of the game.

Aluminum produced by magic, however, might be a possibility. As for making armor out of aluminum, I don't really see the point, but hey, play how you want. After all, it's no weirder than some of the things we currently get as artifacts.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 02:00:00 pm »

Given DF's technology limit, aluminum metal should be impossible to create. It wasn't even discovered until 1825, and the primary means of refining it requires huge amounts of electricity as well, so accurate aluminum production via technological means would clearly break the entire feel of the game.

Aluminum produced by magic, however, might be a possibility. As for making armor out of aluminum, I don't really see the point, but hey, play how you want. After all, it's no weirder than some of the things we currently get as artifacts.

Ah but you forget, there is native aluminum that appears in soil layers.
Certainly not enough to outfit an army though.

i think it comes from asteroids?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 04:05:53 pm »

Yeah, aluminum production and smithing is already in the game, just not for armor. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aluminum

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 05:29:38 pm »

Better than copper but only insofar as dwarves have an easier time moving.

Light and non-encumbering similar to leather, but roughly only as durable as copper.

significantly worse than copper, its SHEAR_FRACTURE and IMPACT_FRACTURE are both 1/4 as much as copper's which makes it about 1/4 as good. it'll break apart like tissue paper, it is actually not much better than wood against bladed weapons

Draegur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 12:09:50 am »

Better than copper but only insofar as dwarves have an easier time moving.

significantly worse than copper, its SHEAR_FRACTURE and IMPACT_FRACTURE are both 1/4 as much as copper's which makes it about 1/4 as good. it'll break apart like tissue paper, it is actually not much better than wood against bladed weapons

Oof. Actually, yeahhhh that convinces me; Pure aluminum, without sufficient metallurgical knowledge to create alloys and heat treatment to make it *at least* as durable as copper, would indeed not be good enough.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 06:30:28 pm »

Technologically, it hasn't its place in DF, apart if magical methods were introduced.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 06:46:55 pm »

Do we have cardboard to form the core of the sword?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 04:51:24 pm »

Remember that dwarfs have a natural affinity/understanding of metals and stone, so they would be far in advance of any human technology in that field.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else