Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is everybody always picking on me?  (Read 1462 times)

TakiJap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is everybody always picking on me?
« on: November 04, 2006, 11:16:00 am »

First I'd like to thank the developers for making such a great game and the community for making very good instructions in wikipedia. Thank you all very much.

---
Now to the point
---

I just recently made a human spearman adventurer, but his life ended sooner than expected. Let me tell his story.

He was a simple man wanting to do simple things like slaying monsters and getting rich. So he went to the mayor of his hometown and requested a quest. He was asked to slay a cyclops in cave half days travel to northeast. Without hesitation he travelled there and arrived there at midnight. It was a cloudy and dark night, but it didn't stop him from finding the cave of the cyclops.

He entered the cave in hopes to find that large thing, slay it fast and get out of there to sell its belongings. He was confident because he was skilled spearuser and hopely would be able to pierce its main organs in a few seconds.

Cave was dark and soon he saw something huge in front of him. He couldn't really tell what it was, but he was getting ready for the worst. As the huge thing came closer he identified it as a giant mole. "Huh, just a mole." He thought. "I was scared there for a moment." Hero lowered his spear and walked other way thinking that the mole would just ignore him just like ignored it. It was his last mistake ever.

Suddenly the mole attacked him from behind, tore bits away, shook him around bit everywhere, before our hero could even understand what hit him. He was screaming and thinking "What did I ever do to it?"

Luckily he still had his spear and stabbed the horrible monster with it.

quote:

You stab The giant mole in the upper body with your copper spear!
It is badly pierced!
The giant mole is having trouble breathing!
The giant mole's right lung has been pierced!
The giant mole's left lung has been pierced!
The giant mole's heart has been pierced!
The giant mole's liver has been badly pierced!
You breaks the grip of The giant mole's mouth on Your head.
The giant mole bites You in the left lower arm!
It is torn!
The giant mole latches on firmly!
You stab The giant mole in the head with your copper spear!
It is pierced!
The giant mole's left eye has been poked out!
The giant mole's left ear has been pierced!
The giant mole gives into pain.
The giant mole falls over.

Mole was down but an antman had ran to the spot from somewhere. At this point it didn't surprise our hero at all that this thing instantly decided to join forces with the mole to gice me a good beating. So the mole stood up and really gave him a good beating with the antman. That was the end of that hero.

---

So why is every single monster and animal friends with eachother, but mortal enemies to a player whom they have never ever seen before? I've read the development pages, but I don't remember seeing anything about this. I know that every rogue like games have this same world vs. player thing, but I was hoping this to be different.

I really hope something would be done for this. If there is something done, I'm not going to play any other game ever again. Of course that's when all the other developments are in too.
 :D

Also didn't that mole take a bit too much damage to still stand up and beat me up.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Why is everybody always picking on me?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »

Not all creatures are friends in this game, but if they live together in the same location they are.  We can't have "realistically" sized caverns and keep the ratio of empty space to creature filled space at a level where the game is fun if all of the creatures hate each other.  That said, underground creatures in the game are much more aggressive right now, because in dwarf mode, there isn't as much room for them to be non-hostile.  This is a goal that is written up in the planning notes, around the time the underground biome locations go in.  At that point, you'd be able to have dwarves hunting benign creatures in underground mushroom jungles perhaps, while your adventure would not be accosted by them.  If you notice when you visit a wilderness square, many of the animals aren't overtly hostile to your player.  It would be like that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »

I would like to see someday amore realistic aproach. Like, say, a pack of wolves hunting deers.  :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »

Of course, if it were realistic, you'd mostly likely never see that or anything like it...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 01:54:00 am »

Ayuh, it's like the balance between Rogue and Unreal World. Rogue is filled with monsters in an incredibly small environment (I mean, c'mon, it's doubtful some of the larger monsters could even fit down or up the stairs in the first place), while the Unreal World can involve a lot of aimless wandering until you find an animal. And even then, there's no guarantee that you can catch a glimpse of it, let alone kill it, skin it, tan the hide, and then make a comfy pair of shoes out of it. ...which is kind of why the game is so damn addictive.

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Of course, if it were realistic, you'd mostly likely never see that or anything like it...</STRONG>

Sure, if you're thinking in adventurer mode only, but I'd imagine any settlement with livestock will experience depredations before too long.  Given the population densities of wolves and deer, you'd probably see quite a few hunts just by having a fortress in the appropriate biome.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »

Don't wolves primarly eat small rodents?

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »

Depends on what's available.  On one episode of Nature, they filmed a pack that had eaten a grizzly bear.   :eek:

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 10:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fourth Triad:
<STRONG>Don't wolves primarly eat small rodents?</STRONG>

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 11:34:00 pm »

damn. I didn't know they took down anything that big.

Keiden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 12:27:00 pm »

If thats a rodent its a big and ugly one.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »

I don't know, looks pretty sexy to me. <3 the furryness.  :D
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 01:21:00 am »

Wolf prefers not to fight human. its a learned response, packs do communicate, and they treat humans as shit not to mess with under normal circumstances.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?