Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you have to be smart to play DF?  (Read 825 times)

Doopna64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Do you have to be smart to play DF?
« on: November 11, 2022, 09:32:00 pm »

I just heard somewhere that you either have to be smart or pay to play this game. Can I get a confirmation on this?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have to be smart to play DF?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 11:26:09 pm »

Well you need to be smart enough to use a computer with out hurting yourself, which you seem to hav achieved.

You don't and won't hav to pay but you can and in less than a month can buy a premium version with professional art assets, on either Steam or Itch.io.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 01:23:58 am »

This game's difficulty is overhyped. With the wiki any idiot can learn it. Also the ASCII version will always be free and keep getting updates. Also, wrong board.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 03:14:16 am »

I've never heard anything about having to pay for the game, unless they were talking about the upcoming steam release.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 03:56:36 am »

You have to be a galaxy brain genius to even begin to understand the complexities of DF!

It takes a little while to understand the ASCII, but otherwise it is managable.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 04:05:57 am »

You are answering to a probable bot account
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 06:59:39 am »

Bots need to learn too

I think the main thing you need for DF is patience and the ability to handle (and accept) losing. I'm here, so intelligence is obviously not a huge factor.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 09:55:42 am »

Of course, if you're both smart and pay, you get access to the secret command that plays the whole game for you (perfectly) whilst generating bitcoin, and then when you inevitably win the game you get rewarded with the usual perpetual quarter-share in any champion racehorse that you care to choose (in both race earnings and stud fees).

But that's just the industry standard, really, ever since the days of Tetris (though that initially went with camels instead, just like Pong).

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 12:12:31 pm »

One day, bots will be smart enough to play games and put them on youtube (or even livestream them) to earn money. And they'll get good enough that no one will be able to tell the difference :O

So one day, your favorite youtuber is playing dwarf fortress...only to find out it was a bot the whole time

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 12:27:56 pm »

Can a bot play DF though?
He would basically be like an emperor over his own kin.

Would a bot create a DF with humans?
Maybe the bots are already playing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 01:50:52 pm »

Please, little old Doopna over here?

Doopna, look at this crowd of morons and look back at me. Does it seem like you have to be smart to play Dwarf Fortress?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 01:52:56 pm »

haha I am a genius

*pulls lever and entire fort floods with water drowning everyone*
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doopna64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 02:06:41 pm »

Please, little old Doopna over here?

Doopna, look at this crowd of morons and look back at me. Does it seem like you have to be smart to play Dwarf Fortress?
For starters, I ain't no bot. Let's establish that moving forward.

Next, I don't know. I'm asking. I was told that if you didn't pay and played the game, you were getting sued by the creators with potentially other consequences down the line.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2022, 02:29:41 pm »

Were you told this through the internet or in-person? In other words, can this information be verified?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2022, 06:35:18 pm »

Next, I don't know. I'm asking. I was told that if you didn't pay and played the game, you were getting sued by the creators with potentially other consequences down the line.

Yeah, the game has been free this whole time and there is probably gonna be a free version with aasci graphics still. They're not going to sue you for downloading and playing the official aasci version. The difference with the pay version is that it has picture graphics and probably some effort to make controls that aren't horrible to use. Maybe some other stuff, IDK. Anyway if you want to play DF you can play it right now.

This forum is moderated by the developers of the game themselves, so you can see that we're all playing it and talking about it right where they can see and have been for the past, what, 15 years.

Anyway, welcome, consider joining the Mafia subforum if you are inclined, take a look around, we're pretty chill here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2