Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sapient megabeasts. Ability to negotiate with powerful, legendary creatures.  (Read 474 times)

FlareStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Megabeasts has always struck me as something special - not just tough mobs, but legendary rare creatures with big stories about them. What if they will be something more complex than just "a big fat enemy invading your fortress"? What if they would be proud, powerful and sapient creatures? Which would mean you will be able to converse with them.

Dragons, for example, can demand your fortress to give them gold, artifacts and your most beautiful dwarven princess. Or Bronze Colossi can demand resources from your fortress, to repair, sustain and strengthen themselves.
Disagree, and you'll face your usual boss fight. Agree and who knows, maybe during next siege you will have a big firebreathing ally vaporizing your enemies with dragonfire.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This particular detail, or hopefully some form of it, is pretty much accounted for already, I'm afraid:
Quote from: devlog
Better megabeasts

Variety and randomization within constraints (e.g. various dragons)
    Reproduction
    Share any intelligent/diplomacy behavior that other hist figs have when appropriate

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

This particular detail, or hopefully some form of it, is pretty much accounted for already, I'm afraid:
Quote from: devlog
Better megabeasts

Variety and randomization within constraints (e.g. various dragons)
    Reproduction
    Share any intelligent/diplomacy behavior that other hist figs have when appropriate

Hmm, I wonder if any of the diplomacy behaviors in the current/upcoming (Steam/itch.io) version are on hist fig levels? The caravans and raids are sent out centrally from an entity object afaik, but what about the goblin sieges demanding artifacts, as has been hinted at ? If that exchange is decided by a goblin commander, then perhaps the extant intelligent semi-megabeasts could make a similar demand. Otherwise there's the issue of hist figs only doing diplomacy as proxies.

Not that that shouldn't change though, but if the framework isn't there I imagine we might have to wait until the entity/site/diplomacy rewrite post-myths-and-magic.