Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tags to deliniate creatures that don't need to eat  (Read 408 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tags to deliniate creatures that don't need to eat
« on: November 01, 2022, 12:42:20 pm »

I love goblins, I'm always trying to lure them into my fort. I mod them to make them a bit friendlier but still alien, and bring adventure mode goblins into my military. I've noticed that, like the bugged undead and necromancers, friendly goblins are always longing for a good meal but have no code in place to satisfy their desires. You've mentioned in the past that just having intelligent NO_EAT tagged undead able to be satisfied by food and booze isn't how you'd envision them engaging with it if they could, so I'd like to propose a middle ground for reforming NO_EAT creatures:

A tag for eating only for pleasure, with the amount dependent on immoderation, could make for satisfied goblins and keep things from being totally without tension if there's an occupation of some kind. This could also serve to make more decadent necromancers stand out, and give hidden ones ways to smooze with other powerful individuals in their schemes.

A tag for eating without satisfaction for the ghosts of the starved and intelligent undead of various kinds so they can occasionally indulge in tragic behaviors like drink falling right through them or openly mourning their lost lives.

Necromancer creations could have a chance at either, or another variation of CURIOUSBEAST_EATER for consuming or otherwise fouling up crops during a siege.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tags to deliniate creatures that don't need to eat
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 03:29:02 pm »

I'd like this too, I personally just find goblins not eating to be less interesting. I know Tarn has said it's because he wants goblins to only die by violence and (I think?) that farming seems un-golbin-like, so something like a [NO_STARVE]/[NO_DEHYDRATION] tags would be better than the current system and should still accomplish that.  I'd suggest making [NO_EAT] behave this way but there are still those creatures without guts which [NO_EAT] makes more sense for, a bronze colossus eating would be odd.

Goblins rushing your forts and eating your pets and citizens would be delightfully horrific in my opinion. Also drunk gobblins, c'mon!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 07:13:16 pm »

+1

But I think some colossuses and similar creatures should be allowed to eat, depending on the mythgen. Precisely because of the terribleness of it.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 02:17:59 pm »

When you put it like that, yeah totally. I imagined them as just solid metal all the way through so there would literally be nowhere to put food, but even if they are just hollow why not let them 'eat'? There probably are some uses for NO_EAT, but maybe less than I was imagining.