Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!  (Read 20059 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2022, 06:55:30 pm »

Year 101 Fall Report

The smoothing has been complete and just in time as the mountain home brought a caravan. Lord _Lemonpie spoke to the diplomats and it seems the mountainhome is interested in prepared meals next year so perhaps we can make some excess.

The fall has been quiet, but we did get a application to be an entertainer at our tavern from Dasmir Bulwarkrhyming, who is a lady consort. We approved of her joining as having offical entertainers will hopefully attract more guests and hopefully more migrants towards out growing fortress.

The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2022, 07:36:42 pm »

Year 101 Winter Report

The place is booming, seems hiring entertainers has worked wonders, suddenly people from all over The Brilliant Continents are visiting out humble fortress. The Tavern is a constant party, singing and drinks flow all the time.

As we started our digging operation we hit a cavern layer. It was a small tunnel that we breached, perhaps burrowed by some unknown creature?

Then as i was leaving i hear word we hit a 2nd cavern layer. We have decided to halt digging as we secure these layers.

As this news spread like wildfire suddenly warriors have started showing up more and then scholars began to visit. We even had one decide to write a book before they departed. Truly things are going well

Too well, im getting applications for entertainers to join us all the time, im hounded around the fortress constantly with entertainers asking for updates on their application to join our noble fort. This is getting to stressfull and annoying. I wasn't sure what to do and then it hit me. I approached the first dwarf i saw, told them "Congratulations new overseer, you are incharge now buddy".

With that taken care of i think im gonna go into the tavern for some much needed plump helmet wine. Good thing too, i heard a gremlin emerged from the caverns, mountainhome knows whats else is down there.

Save - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16196
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 09:03:58 pm »

That was quick! Thanks for playing AvolitionBrit! I'll send a message to Bad_Goblin, who I wasn't sure of if they wanted a turn (and hasn't been online since, but maybe the PM will change that), and get your turn linked in the main post. Curious to see what manner of books our dwarfs will be writing!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 09:22:22 pm »

Heya, @Lord_lemonpie, you can remove me from the turn list for now.

Still don't have Premium version and don't know when I'll have the money for it.

(Also, there's apparently no possibility to control it 100% with keyboard, so until that changes I can't really play it with my shitty wrists)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2022, 11:06:56 pm »

I’ve noticed you’re in a good biome.  Out of curiosity, have you been able to successfully gather feather tree eggs?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2022, 09:09:33 am »

Heya, @Lord_lemonpie, you can remove me from the turn list for now.

Still don't have Premium version and don't know when I'll have the money for it.

(Also, there's apparently no possibility to control it 100% with keyboard, so until that changes I can't really play it with my shitty wrists)
Ah, that's a shame. I'll remove you for now but if you change your mind, let me know, I'll add you right back!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2022, 06:26:01 pm »

Haven't heard back from Bad_Goblin, they haven't been online in a month and I'm not sure they even wanted a turn in the first place, so I'll pass the fortress onto voliol!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2022, 10:05:22 am »

Sign me up, and dorf me as a gem setter/gem cutter if possible.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2022, 03:48:28 am »

Sign me up, and dorf me as a gem setter/gem cutter if possible.
I've added you to the player list!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2022, 03:50:53 am »

just a heads up, your hyperlinks to the various turn chapters appear to be broken!

I am available for the next few days despite my vacation, so if someone wants me to replace their turn or we get a string of no-shows no-responses, consider me an applicable player. the new version runs like assssss on my laptop but this is no barrier to me

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2022, 05:58:47 am »

thanks for letting me know. I used an url shortener in the main post to save space, but it turns out they expire and some now even lead to ads. Ill get them fixed rright away

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2022, 08:45:15 am »

1st of Granite, year 102

"Congratulations new overseer, you are incharge now buddy".
I had talked to this dwarf before. He was AvolitionBrit, chief medical dwarf and the overseer of Irritan Amam. Or ex-overseer, as I would soon come to know him. I am voliol, a bard of this fortress, though some may know me as "Melbil". As I meditated on love this dwarf interrupted my thoughts.
"What do you mean?" I tried, but he seemed to busy to answer the question. So now I am burdened with being the overseer of Irritan Amam.

No, I shouldn't see it as just a burden. I heard AvolitionBrit had only been an overseer for a year, so perhaps this is a tradition, passing the duties to a new dwarf, so that all thoughts may be heard. Or perhaps not, the poor AvolitionBrit seemed rather stressed as he left it off with me.

It is an overseers job to approve or disapprove of petitions, and already during this first day we had many. I've approved of Doren Tomuskogan, the baroness consort of Boatjudge. Of the other petitions, Rimtar Ecemkel is a legendary poet who we can only be honored to host, and so is Kerleb Kisesáthra, in addition to being a dear friend of Doren. The others will have to go though, the drinks of a budding fortress can only sustain so many people of the arts.

And no less can this one! I looked over the stocks and saw we have no drinks!  That explains why AvolitionBrit muttered something about "plump helmet wine", despite not going for a drink himself. This must be caused by the tavern, where wine was flowing between barrels, dwarves, and humans alike, and I cannot fault it for that. I've told the miners to prepare an area in the caverns, where we can plant plump helmets.

Spoiler: images (click to show/hide)

11th of Granite, year 102

These last few days have been eventful. I heard rumors about thieves on the surface, and yet no person one could be seen,
only large, swarming insects. And just the other day, little Urvad began acting strange, muttering something about a craft. That child is growing up fast.

Now the elves have arrived to trade, and they have brought with them a giant beast. And no, I am not talking about the "camel", whose legs are already as longer than any dwarf is tall, but what must be its monstrous sibling, caught in the wildest of forests. Even the tall elves do barely reach up to its knees. 

When asked about the great beast, they claimed it can carry hundreds if not thousands of our dwarven goods. A shame, since they bring little of value to trade them for. Some fruits were still bought, to feed the stills.

17th of Granite, year 102

Urvad finished her craft today, using giant bat bones she created ônoritred Onoltherleth. Perhaps she isn't growing up as fast as I though, since it is a mini-forge. No one can fault her for it, she is only five.

What more has happened recently, is that a giant toad is croaking in the hallway, having hopped up the stairs. Luckily some brave volunteers are fighting it off, and the beast is passed out, taking blow after blow. A dwarf called Dodók is leading the effort, and I heard him boast:
"A giant toad may be dangerous to a single dwarf, but not to a fortress!"

26th of Granite, year 102

The situation has gotten worse, a giant olm has joined its water-breathing kin, and the victory seems much less certain. We are threatened by the monsters of the deep, and who knows if another one will come; if the creeping, swimming, and crawling beasts arrive in even half the numbers of the troglodytes, then we have no chance. The human soldiers in the tavern do not heed a single of our pleas, hearts cold as stone. We are on our lone.
This terrifies me, by carelessness can lead to the downfall of all of us...
I have now told Domas Bebmalkilrud, a herbalist, to become our militia captain, and he is getting armored up (with but leather) as I write. Perhaps he can even vanquish the toad and the olm, before they threaten a life.

12th of Slate, year 102

Domas did not have the time to defeat the long beast. The battle was long and tiresome, and finally Inod, expedition leader, split the vile beast's head in two with her pick.But was too late, Dodók had already succumbed to his injuries. By this tragedy, I told the miners to dig out two new areas: one to act as a hospital, and one where the fallen dwarves may rest.

Though this burden is heavy, I still carry on. I walked past the elven caravan as they announced their. "Have another look, maybe you'll find something," they said. How can they understand the depths of dwarven sorrow, I thought, but then I saw something, a cage hidden in the midst of puzzleboxes and grown wood barrels.
How no one did notice it before I cannot tell, but it must be a second reason for them needing an as large pack animal. With antlers like a deer, yet the face of a cow, this was the monster of Irritan Amam, which had been stalking the hills, foreboding an ill fate for the new settlers. All fortresses have stories like that, but for this one to be true! Even the size of this thing was true to the tavern tales. Even the elves' beast of burden looks small in comparison. This was what our defense needed. With the ferocity in its eyes, toads and olms and no less troglodytes
would not even dare to approach.
Or so I had believed, but just as the traders handed over another two bins' worth of crafts, the elves laughed.
"To think you dwarves would show such kind returns for a noble animal of nature, whose mind knows no ill, and which you could never train for violence and ulterior motives. We hold you in deepest respect."

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

tonnot98, you are now a gem cutter in the save as I continue. This gem cutter has a role in the upcoming summer log (I've played summer but have yet to write it), as a dwarf named "Shem".

Aarsappel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2022, 09:55:11 am »

How great the Dwarf Fortress community is! I've just started playing the game myself with the steam release, so i do not feel ready to take a turn. Although maybe I could be dwarfed as a combatant or otherwise a smith of some kind?

Will definitely keep following the story of this fort.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2022, 02:46:28 pm »

Well my second attempt at joining a succession game, and I’m less likely to disappear before I can play due to college issues this time! Sign me up, please.

Also, may I be dorfed?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2022, 04:09:51 pm »

Well my second attempt at joining a succession game, and I’m less likely to disappear before I can play due to college issues this time! Sign me up, please.

Also, may I be dorfed?

Added you to the list! Nice to see so many people interested :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14