Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Hunter's Call (IC)  (Read 5421 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Call (IC)
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2022, 09:12:26 pm »

(Are there any Wolf Sharks left?)

(There are 12 wolf sharks left, the other Hunters are just set dressing so you don't have to worry about the crew/noncombatants and can focus on the fight. Their wolfsharks are not counted toward your total. Mostly don't want to have the NPC's take away from the MC's story, but also don't want NPCs to stand around doing nothing. In reality the swarm is bigger than the 12 present, but you'll win if you beat the remaining 12.)

(I am confused about what is going on. Could we maybe get a combat status summary or something?)

Init 5:
Duncan attacked Sinker, 6 damage -1 Def from special effect.
Landon distracted a tentacle

Init 4
Duncan attacked, 4 damage -1 Def from special effect (-2 def total). Duncan is now hiding behind Aku
Eich killed 3 sharks
Landon targets tentacle with Cannon, dealing 8 damage
Five attacks tentacle for 3 damage, gets a +2 to next attack
Tentacle attacks Five twice. One hits but does nothing because of his high Armor. A special attack misses. Another turn is used to heal 10 damage.

There are 12 sharks left (I said 9 earlier, but that was assuming Nankeen left.).

The Star Sinker has currently taken 11 damage. It is at -2 Def.

It is Init 3. Everyone will now be able to act until the Int reset.

That should be the mostly non-fluff combat summery, if that makes things less confusing.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2022, 09:27:17 pm »

Aku attacks one of the Wolf Sharks, with the intent to grapple it.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2022, 09:37:24 pm »

Duncan realizes that, with the Star Sinker healing itself by almost half of the damage it takes, it's not even worth looking at the sharks until this thing is dead. So he throws another spear at it, hoping someone will maybe do something about the torn tentacle rapidly growing into a new Star Sinker right on our very own ship too.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2022, 10:26:19 pm »

"I'll take the sharks, there's not much I can do to hurt that Sinker."

Cut through six sharks, using two fate points to boost the roll.
Alternatively, if only one fate point can be used, attack 3 with one point to boost.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2022, 11:00:29 pm »

Aku attacks one of the Wolf Sharks, with the intent to grapple it.

You grab hold of a shark as it leaps from the ocean. While you easily overpower this (comparatively) tiny creature, the slippery wet beast manages to slide from your hold and flop to the other side of the ship unharmed.

Duncan realizes that, with the Star Sinker healing itself by almost half of the damage it takes, it's not even worth looking at the sharks until this thing is dead. So he throws another spear at it, hoping someone will maybe do something about the torn tentacle rapidly growing into a new Star Sinker right on our very own ship too.

Duncan's non-telepathic friends proceed to attack the sharks.

But Duncan follows his own advice and attacks the Sinker! This one goes clean through the thin portion of one of the tentacles, sticking out both sides when stuck fast by its regenerative ability. It now looks like a food that would be sold by foreign street vendors.

Star Sinker is at 16 damage, -3 DEF

"I'll take the sharks, there's not much I can do to hurt that Sinker."

Cut through six sharks, using two fate points to boost the roll.
Alternatively, if only one fate point can be used, attack 3 with one point to boost.

You can only spend one a turn unless you're using an ability that costs more, so you attack the 3! Fate points are now 4

Another shark falls to the water, gutted very much like a fish. A fish gutted by an inexperienced angler given how messy the gutting was. Your blade moves through the tail fin of a second, creating a second dish that is likely sold on foreign shores alongside a shark corpse. When a third attacks you, you smack it into the deck with the pommel of your blade. This action is enough to kill the creature without need for a followup, as plain from the broken remains of the shark's head.

There are 9 wolf sharks left.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2022, 11:04:22 pm »

Five focuses his attention on the Sinker, and charges at it!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2022, 11:37:08 pm »

Five focuses his attention on the Sinker, and charges at it!

You charge at the Sinker sinking your claws in on both sides. These deep wounds begin healing so quickly you meet resistance on pulling the blades back out, but still the trickles of blood prove that you've done your job.

Sinker is at 22 damage, +4 to Five's next damage.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2022, 11:58:04 pm »

"Load me another shot Chubs! Each tentacle we blow offcuts it's offense!"

Landon tries to blow off another tentacle.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2022, 12:30:01 am »

"Load me another shot Chubs! Each tentacle we blow offcuts it's offense!"

Landon tries to blow off another tentacle.

With great optimism you load and loose another shot toward one of the more intact tentacles. You successfully hit! This one hangs on by a thread, the top of the tentacle loosely dangling from what little remains of the middle of the tentacle. Both the dangling portion and main body begin to regenerate. It is anyone's guess if the weight of the regeneration will cause the rest of the tentacle to fall off or if it will merge with the main tentacle.

As if wanting to crush Landon's optimism, the previously severed tentacle attacks Aku! It makes a swipe at his legs, which he is easily able to leap over (presumably to the disappointment of the man using him as a shield).

The other half of the tentacle slams into Five from above. Once again his solid armor stands strong against the squishy flesh, even as the ship under you groans from the force of the blow.

Appearing from below the ship, the tentacle that had previously been distracted by the cannonball returns to combat. It begins snaking around the ship as if to sink it!

Deep in the heart of the shark storm, one of the monsters launches itself at Eich. He's too slow to react this time. It bights fast to his left arm, its teeth pierces into the muscle past his armor. For now it stays there. He has the strength to remain on his feet - it won't be dragging him into the drink any time soon - but it certainly hurts. Another takes advantage of his current situation and leaps toward his right leg, holding fast for similar effect.

As if to remind you they arn't on the Sinker's side either, one of the Wolf Sharks takes a bite out of the tentacle fragment on the ship before flopping back to the other side.

Ein has taken 5 damage from the Wolf Sharks.

Ship Sinker is brought to 30 by the cannon fire. It then heals back to 20. A Wolf Shark damages it back to 22.

It is now Init 2. I'm surprised we got through a whole Init in a day! If things arn't clear I might need to do a new reporting format that better separates fluff from crunch.

Everyone gets to move.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2022, 12:38:22 am »

Barely affected by the blow from the Sinker, the Lomos continued wailing on the tentacles in the hopes of overcoming their regenerative properties. The monstrous voice amplifier of the Chimera emited a roar amidst the chaos of the battle. Sinking its claws inside the regenerating flesh, Five kept lacerating the tentacle with renewed fury.

Attack tentacle

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2022, 12:41:26 am »

"When I signed up for this trip, I didn't expect to be MAULED!"

Crush the two sharks biting into me, before taking my anger out on a third. Use a Fate Point.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2022, 01:43:18 am »

"I did."

Fling a spear into the non-severed tentacles.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2022, 01:21:38 pm »

"Heh. Da monster heals fast, but I think we canoutpace it lads!"

Landon shoots the Sink Star again. If possible, he targets the tentacle that just popped up to grab the ship.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2022, 04:55:05 pm »

"I did."

Fling a spear into the non-severed tentacles.

Your spear flies swift and true, pinning the non-severed tentacle that was grasping the ship to the deck. While that is probably where it wanted to be it'll have a hard time not getting hit by the other Hunter's attacks.

Ship Sinker is now at 31 damage, -4 Def

Barely affected by the blow from the Sinker, the Lomos continued wailing on the tentacles in the hopes of overcoming their regenerative properties. The monstrous voice amplifier of the Chimera emited a roar amidst the chaos of the battle. Sinking its claws inside the regenerating flesh, Five kept lacerating the tentacle with renewed fury.

Attack tentacle

You maul the tentacle above you, leaving more bloody gashes on its underside. This time you find even more difficulty removing yourself. To the point that you don't. When the tentacle lifts itself back up, it lifts you with it. You now look more like a tick than a scarab, albeit a particularly vicious and bloodthirsty tick. When you attempt to move once again you notice the creature has stopped regenerating - and a moment later stopped moving entirely. It looks like your combined efforts have drained its energy reserves. At the same moment the other parts of the tentacle stop regenerating, and soon after go still.

Ship Sinker has been defeated.

"When I signed up for this trip, I didn't expect to be MAULED!"

Crush the two sharks biting into me, before taking my anger out on a third. Use a Fate Point.

Eich's fate points are now 3.

As much as you want to smash the sharks eating you, the sharks are making that a difficult task. You can't get a good foothold to smash the shark on your arm, and you can't get a good grip to smash the shark on your leg. Both Wolf Sharks escape your fury with little more than heavy bruising. Given they're still stuck fast in your arm this is hardly a fair trade.

"Heh. Da monster heals fast, but I think we canoutpace it lads!"

Landon shoots the Sink Star again. If possible, he targets the tentacle that just popped up to grab the ship.

And you do! But with the Sinker dead, you have no reason to shoot the tentacle unless you really want to.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2022, 05:07:47 pm »

Aku moves to punch one of the Wolf Sharks.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9