Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf dismal corpse  (Read 678 times)

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf dismal corpse
« on: October 26, 2022, 05:22:56 am »

The phrase "Dwarf dismal corpse" gives no GHits, but one of them is sitting on my map, listed as friendly foreign unit, and also as deceased. If I got that right it was created from the lower half of a capybara with the help of my mayor necromancer. Yes, I just read that a mayor necromancer, constantly stressed, is a bad idea.

I got alarmed by an announcement "...interrupted by a capybara neck". Went and checked, just to find out that a capybara had climbed into a tree, been chased by two civilians. The civilians also climbed the tree and were slain. As my sword unit won't do anything about it, I felled the tree. Capybara head and neck were killed again, and now this creature stands around, not moving. Undead symbol.

So I don't know, a bug? All my dwarves are accounted for. No ghost to engrave a slab for. And why is it a dwarf?

On top of it, the description reads "Her head is gone. She has a low voice"---Who would have thought?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf dismal corpse
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 09:50:18 pm »

Dismal corpse is a procedurally generated intelligent undead type. Necromancer experiments aren't created outside world gen, so I don't think the undead capybara has anything to do with its creation, other than a potential cause of original death.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:51:49 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 10:35:39 am »

Are you saying the unit "Dwarf dismal corpse" is listed in the Units screen in both the "Others" and "Dead/Missing" tabs? Did an invading force arrive from a tower earlier? One of the experiments could have been killed, then your mayor used that corpse when they became frightened by the capybara, or something like that.

You could check the gamelog.txt for mentions of the dwarf dismal or the capybara, then put the events in order.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:50:21 am »

You could check the gamelog.txt for mentions of the dwarf dismal or the capybara, then put the events in order.

Oh, thanks for the hint, I think I get an idea now. The capypara killed the dwarf. Necromancer gestures, dwarf becomes undead. An axedwarf beheads the undead dwarf, killing it again. (Didn't know this could happen, isn't she still---errm, a dwarf, somehow?) Necromances gestures again, but only the torso of the dwarf reanimates.

Indeed the dwarf is listed twice as killed, I didn't see that before. Presumably there's only a head in her tomb, will check that.