Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Timescale Questions  (Read 653 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Timescale Questions
« on: October 27, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »

How much time goes by for each turn?  How much time goes by when traveling one space in the overhead map?  Just wondering while I was pressing '.' to watch a leopard bleed to death. It took about 4 turns.

I guess while I'm on the subject, how many real-time minutes is one year in Fortress mode?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Timescale Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 07:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
I guess while I'm on the subject, how many real-time minutes is one year in Fortress mode?

This time will varry between computers, because each computer's processor speed is different, along with how much time said processor spends on calculating actions each 'turn' of the game.

A fortress with 200 dwarves will have a much 'longer' year then a fortress with only 20, because the processor requirement is higher for the calculation of 200 dwarves' thoughts, and thus, more time is spent to calculate and display the end product.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Timescale Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

I think the overland map speed is 3 hours regardless of terrain for now.  I think each adventure mode step is something like 10 or 11 seconds of in-game time, if you are unencumbered.  This makes the days pass fairly quickly, which is a good thing for the most part.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!