Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How awesome could humans get while still having functional social dynamics  (Read 662 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

If you're a futurist who still pictures humans rather then transhumans... you can see the future getting pretty awesome. Perhaps too awesome.

In a world where everyone has the tools to express themselves vigorously, it would be very difficult to filter between them. If you did. You might just go with whoever's around you, because whatever's interesting about them will be on display rather then suppressed. Which is suboptimal compared to the people you would have a connection with under normal conditions.

It's easy to imagine giving everyone so much power that everyone's dazzling. If we instead start with the present lameness... and slowly add awesome... how far can you get before everything social becomes a headache?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

If everyone is super, nobody is
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I call this thread, "the death of myspace"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Could we kill Twitter instead/also?

Facebook is apparently part of our Electoral system, so I guess it's not going anywhere.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Facebook is apparently part of our Electoral system, so I guess it's not going anywhere.
Lord this is a cursed piece of unfortunate facts.

On the bright side facebook might meme itself to death with Metaverse being a black hole of money

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

Very awesome?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The best future we could have is one without this social media shit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They could roughly get 17 awesome.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Very awesome?

Untrue. I think you can't get much further then we have today without ruining our social mechanisms, just because everyone becomes too cool to disregard.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Some fantasy settings represent peak distributed awesome.

Take the elder scrolls. An imperial guard with magica can conjure armour, shoot fireballs, etc etc... but he's still just an imperial guard. Even when he starts flexing you can casually walk by him on the street.
Reading a thinner book

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: How awesome could humans get while still having functional social dynamics
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 09:53:08 am »

Awesomeness is just an adverbial modifier that requires context, like "more" and "less", or "better" and "worse"... it has to be applied to something. Why apply it to the ever-changing front-line of fashion and posturing, when you can apply it to the result of that fashion's existence?

Sunglasses, the epitome of cool... But have you noticed that regardless of how they change in color or form, they generally still protect from light glare? That is damn awesome and I hope for more of that from the future...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2022, 10:22:42 am »

I can shoot beams of light out of my palm, channel an orchestra, talk to people that aren't there, send a letter instantly, and open a window to peer into a location far, far away.

I have a cellphone and these features are mundane today. 200 years ago, it'd blow minds, but we're not 200 years ago with cell phones.  Whatever's 'awesome' will become socially accepted/standard, and thereafter mundane.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2022, 10:43:37 am »

No. If the tech's flexible enough, it's just too distracting. Like if everyone got a futuristic 3D printer or nanotech or the ability to create genetically engineered minions... just too much. Just being able to subconsciously control the colours of your shirt would be enough to fuck with our social machinery.
Reading a thinner book

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 10:49:54 am »

Well, by then I'll be dead and then functional social dynamics won't matter. I can't rebut your what-ifs except with evidence of how we've already handled massive technological leaps. Maybe we'll make wonder focus pills that make everyone perceptibly irrelevant, but that'll probably lead to a "no" as well.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 12:25:56 pm »

I agree that we'll handle it (or something well), it's how we'll handle it.

The best model I can see is the fantastic one in style, but I don't know how we get there.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: [1] 2