Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What would be the chances of survival of the Average Galactic-travelling Human  (Read 743 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

In a world where everyone had a spaceship (and planetary shielding), what would their chances be out in the universe? If they acted like your average human would with a spaceship?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Certain death, but adventure awaits so it's worth it

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Look man, we - we would at least be protected by a galactic buddy system or something. It worked with Han Solo for like 70 years.
Reading a thinner book

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile

Perfect Anarchy. No goverments, no laws.

Only chaos...

Oh, and chances of survival? Next to none.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Look man, we - we would at least be protected by a galactic buddy system or something. It worked with Han Solo for like 70 years.

Hm, Chewbacca could keep the average human alive for quite a long time, but Han Solo had a Life Debt to keep Chewie from killing him, so...

Only chaos...

Now this is an interesting thought experiment.

There is no government and no laws UNTIL a spaceship with larger guns, decent protection, and faster engines than you shows up.  Then if that ship's captain claims to be Godking of the Universe and demands your stuff/life....well you've just met Government and Laws.

Moving back to our actual existence: If a person is in a rural area, are there still laws & government? The answer, of course, is only if someone is dumb or desperate enough to call them into the area, or if the Government decides to do a Random Inspection.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Only chaos...

Bull. Advanced civilizations still unadvanced enough to interact with us would probably be space police. If you've got FTL in the first place, you've got to have planetary shielding for it not to be lethal, so there's another check and balance.

You can do what you want with primitive planets or forgotten worlds, though.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 04:14:48 pm by Scoops Novel »
Reading a thinner book

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

With planetary shielding and potentially unpoliced regions of space, I would expect a thriving feudal system to develop, with planets instead of walled cities.

The chances would be mostly the same, because the tools change but the human hierarchical system remains the same, founded in biological responses not in words.

Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What exactly is planetary shielding anyway, does it protect the ship from blowing up when it slams into a planet?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Yes.

With planetary shielding and potentially unpoliced regions of space, I would expect a thriving feudal system to develop, with planets instead of walled cities.

The chances would be mostly the same, because the tools change but the human hierarchical system remains the same, founded in biological responses not in words.

But you've got all these tempting abandoned alien worlds, and all this opportunity to fuck about. It's not the human societies that's the danger, it's everything else.

It would be so, so tempting to fuck about.
Reading a thinner book

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In a world where everyone had a spaceship (and planetary shielding), what would their chances be out in the universe? If they acted like your average human would with a spaceship?

First, I don't accept the premise.
Not everyone has a motorized vehicle, which is the Terran equivalent.

But continuing with the Terran equivalent of a motorized vehicle, we can extrapolate that if most humans had space vehicles, they would have a need for space vehicles. This implies jobs and homes on multiple planets. Presumably, one could just dig into some isolated area and find something valuable, but people can do that on Earth. Prospecting for Gold, crop sites, and artifacts occurs on Earth even today.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

"Tempting abandoned alien worlds"... why didn't you mention those before?

I'd be dead before my character got to 5th level. My last words would be like "hrrm, those look like human bones..."
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What exactly is planetary shielding anyway, does it protect the ship from blowing up when it slams into a planet?
Yes.
I take that to mean that if you drive that ship as fast as possible and slam it into a planet you'd be able to walk a way from the ordeal.

If that's the case why waste it on a ship when we could make everything out of that stuff and create indestructible buildings.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'd be dead before my character got to 5th level. My last words would be like "hrrm, those look like human bones..."
Reminds me of that little short story where the astronauts keep finding ships with long dead bodies in them. Only, the dead bodies are theirs. The astonauts are very wry about the whole ordeal, "we're finding more and more of ourselves these days,"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reminds me of that little short story where the astronauts keep finding ships with long dead bodies in them. Only, the dead bodies are theirs. The astonauts are very wry about the whole ordeal, "we're finding more and more of ourselves these days,"

Any chance you would be able to identify that story? It sounds like an interesting read.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any chance you would be able to identify that story? It sounds like an interesting read.
I'd also like to know the name of the story.
Pages: [1] 2