Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disposal of discarded clothing  (Read 2390 times)

PolarBair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disposal of discarded clothing
« on: October 23, 2022, 04:05:03 am »

First let me preface this with I am not above cheating. I've used DFhack extensively in the past and I'm sure I will in the future as well, however, when I cheat I'm generally just doing it to get by while until I learn how to do something the proper or intended way. Let's face it, Dwarf Fortress is an extremely complicated game and there's a lot to learn.

The thing I'm trying to learn how to do properly at the moment is, as the subject suggests, getting the dwarves to dispose of their discarded clothing properly and after watching every Youtube tutorial video I could find on the subject and reading every forum thread I could find it seems like no one has figured this out. Every solution I see suggested is always some hackish cheaty way of handling it, which as I've said, I'm certainly not above cheating, but I'd really like to know how to handle it without cheating.

I've placed a refuse stockpile in my fortress and I can see that in the itemTypes in the refuse stockpile settings there are headwear, armor, handwear, legwear and footwear which would seem to suggest that this is the correct stockpile for discarded clothing but the dwarves just won't pick up their tattered discarded clothes and bring them to the refuse pile.

I don't get it. Is there really no correct, intended way to get the dwarves to dispose of their old clothes properly?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Disposal of discarded clothing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 08:54:45 pm »

I don't bother with disposing of damaged clothes on a refuse stockpile. I have stockpiles with bins disabled, though, for the clean new clothing we make or buy. Makes it easier for dorfs to come pick out what they want to wear.

I do a damaged clothing search each time the merchants arrive, and they carry as much as I can find to the merchants and sell it for the price of a good bucket or a few carrots. Rag and bone man time has come! (this is an allusion to a few hundred years ago in the real world, when merchants used to come door to door and beg or buy rags and bones and other rubbish).

When they leave, I often do a cupboard search and dump or forbid all the xXdead clothingXx I find. Merchants come around again, and I unforbid the clothes and they get sold in the rag and bone run. If I have that nice long gap, the dorfs have long forgotten about the clothes I forbade.

That said, I don't really care if there's a massive buildup in the furniture. I mean, a random +pig tail sock+ here or there is hardly the end of the world, now that my worlds no longer die of FPS. Anything randomly left on the ground I'll sweep out though.

Edit: Never bothered to get hack or whatever, my game is vanilla.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 05:32:42 pm by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 02:27:49 pm »

The thing I'm trying to learn how to do properly at the moment is, as the subject suggests, getting the dwarves to dispose of their discarded clothing properly and after watching every Youtube tutorial video I could find on the subject and reading every forum thread I could find it seems like no one has figured this out. Every solution I see suggested is always some hackish cheaty way of handling it, which as I've said, I'm certainly not above cheating, but I'd really like to know how to handle it without cheating.

I've placed a refuse stockpile in my fortress and I can see that in the itemTypes in the refuse stockpile settings there are headwear, armor, handwear, legwear and footwear which would seem to suggest that this is the correct stockpile for discarded clothing but the dwarves just won't pick up their tattered discarded clothes and bring them to the refuse pile.

I don't get it. Is there really no correct, intended way to get the dwarves to dispose of their old clothes properly?
The reason your Refuse wasn't working as you expected is that Refuse/Item stockpiles only take items that have a "XX" status, or are rotting.

There is no "one intended way" of handling worn clothing...

If you want a non-DFHack method for handling unused and worn clothing, this method works:
- set up a Finished Goods stockpile for clothing (no bins, accept from links only, set to Take from the clothiers workshop and Take from the leatherworker shop)
- set up a Finished Goods stockpile for clothing and also set it to accept Refuse of the armor/legwear/headwear/footwear/handwear types.

This means that all new clothing produced at the clothier/leatherworker shops will either be put in the linked Clothing stockpile or will accumulate in the workshop, and all other clothing will be put in the Clothing/Refuse stockpile where it will degrade quickly into nothing. New clothing from visitors or trade caravans will also be placed in the Refuse stockpile if no dwarf claims it, but this is a small price to pay for automating clothing production. Because the clothing placed in the Refuse stockpile will quickly degrade, you can set up Job Manager jobs based on "make 2 shirts if less than 5 shirts", etc. Also, there will still be clothing scattered on the floor when dwarfs are changing into their military uniforms because that clothing is still owned by that dwarf.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Juxtapoisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 03:20:47 pm »

To round this out a little. Thisfox's suggestion of 2 stockpiles, 1 linked and one not linked can also be used with normal (non refuse) stock piles to prep the garbage to be sold to caravans. I've never let clothes compost before, but if you dispose of them in magma or in an atom-smashing bridge, sooner or later you will be destroying masterworks, which will make their creators sad. I worry the same is true of refuse composting?
So I sell them off to the caravans, which seems to be ok for morale.
Getting them to part with the worn clothes can be more difficult. I use DFHack cleanowned commands to autodump various levels of worn clothes and put the dump by the depot. Have to remember to D-B-Claim the stuff in order to assign it to trade though, and if you don't trade it all they'll then haul it off to various stockpiles if there's any left that take them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 01:40:39 pm »

I worry the same is true of refuse composting?

It's not an issue from what I've heard.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?