Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are you most looking forward to in the steam release?  (Read 2952 times)

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are you most looking forward to in the steam release?
« on: October 22, 2022, 01:24:00 pm »

Personally i'm looking forward to the Information features.

The current version of DF just isn't very good at presenting comprehensive information about your fort.

ClownyCobalt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Honk honk!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you most looking forward to in the steam release?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 07:55:30 pm »

Personally i'm looking forward to the Information features.

The current version of DF just isn't very good at presenting comprehensive information about your fort.
IMO, what I look forward to a lot is the fact that clothes show on the dwarf, and finally dyes can be of some use now that they can be visually represented like that!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 08:12:24 pm »

IMO, what I look forward to a lot is the fact that clothes show on the dwarf, and finally dyes can be of some use now that they can be visually represented like that!
+1

There are also some QoL changes to bin hauling and work orders, constructions can be built vertically, and the ability to engrave constructed walls (IIRC.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 08:15:45 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 08:44:44 pm »

+1

There are also some QoL changes to bin hauling and work orders, constructions can be built vertically, and the ability to engrave constructed walls (IIRC.)

Do the QoL changes to work orders include the traits that are missing from the current system and/or replacing raw identifiers with more human-readable text?

What about 11649, 9972, 11630, 9628, 11824, 11824, 10183, or 10372?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 08:56:43 pm »

Do the QoL changes to work orders include the traits that are missing from the current system and/or replacing raw identifiers with more human-readable text?

I don't recall hearing about any of those being fixed, though one can hope it was handled when suggested conditions were separated out from the current adding all [r]eagents/[p]roducts. I was referring to this from the most recent dev log:
jeweler jobs are no longer weird - there are generic jobs and you can specify materials in the details
I assume this applies to booze and milling as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 09:03:01 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 09:20:53 pm »

I don't recall hearing about any of those being fixed, though one can hope it was handled when suggested conditions were separated out from the current adding all [r]eagents/[p]roducts. I was referring to this from the most recent dev log:
jeweler jobs are no longer weird - there are generic jobs and you can specify materials in the details
I assume this applies to booze and milling as well.

10372 is keeping me from being able to automate on demand production of thread and cloth.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 07:07:36 am »

I really hope the military equipment and uniform bugs are fixed

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 03:57:04 pm »

I'm really looking forward to trying out the new labor management.

I've always taken the old school approach of manually assigning all my labors, I got used to this before Dwarf Therapist and all that existed and just haven't felt like using user-made 'crutches' even though they'd obviously make things easier if I'd learn to use them; just stubborn like that. What that means is I've taken to a pretty simple system where I lump dwarves into just a few categories that I can easily remember and apply, the new profession / work crew system will be the prod for me to actually branch out a little.

The official graphics are quite beautiful also.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 09:46:50 pm »

I'm looking forward to actually being able to see the individual physical properties of everything. No longer will a dwarf with long curly blonde hair look exactly the same as a dark skinned bald dwarf. I also can't wait to see objects encrusted with jewels and decorated in turtle shell.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 04:23:01 pm »

Yeah there's a lot of exciting features coming.

Another thing i'm looking forward to is that we're finally leaving the df2014 version behind, and the wiki will need a lot of updating for the new version.

I hope to have some influence over the tutorial there. Was waiting for the steam version to get in on that action.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 08:25:28 pm »

the amount of friends, once scared away by ASCII or tilesets, that I’ll finally be able to properly introduce to the game!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 05:22:35 pm »

the amount of friends, once scared away by ASCII or tilesets, that I’ll finally be able to properly introduce to the game!

You didn't try tile sets?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 07:06:31 am »

Really looking forward to the growth in the DF community. The barrier to get into the game will be lowered significantly with these lovely graphics and the workeable UI, and I'm really stoked for all these new people to get to experience this lovely game and hearing all their crazy stories.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 11:21:05 am »

I'm looking forward to digging through the files and figuring out how the graphics work vis a vis recoloring/layering sprites to match a dwarf's appearance! Specifically for the purpose of modding in new races with the same level of visual variety. It's far beyond just picking out whatever symbol sorta works to represent the species and I'm really excited to stretch my pixel art muscles :)

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2022, 04:13:38 pm »

I only want the bugs to be fixed. With a steam release it will be a lot more pressure to fix bugs instead of adding them in, and that will help with lot of the frustrations I experienced trying to minmax my forts as I do.
Pages: [1] 2