- 0 (0%)
Titans
- 0 (0%)
Vault Guardians
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 04, 2022, 09:24:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom  (Read 40593 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The Party Sets Forth!
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2023, 12:25:04 am »

Glorg suggests we take the prisoner with us, keep them safe. Together strong!

Glorg also admires Egem's powerful wings. A strange creation indeed, yet skilled at fighting and shooting. Glorg does not question the God's and their intentions but to give a person wings is the strangest choice yet. 

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2023, 04:32:02 am »

Burt doesn't pay attention to anyone's eyes since the locations of the weapons were more important.

We should take the prisoner with us unless he'd rather be left in a town.

Picking the fruit that's growing outside will be easier than trying to trade for their food.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TeaKing

• Bay Watcher
  • the ruler of tea kind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2023, 05:02:30 pm »

The voice spoke once again:
"I didn't get to see much of Egem's capabilities... How unfortunate... Guess I'll have to stick around for a while longer before getting the other two here... But at least I got a great show from his party making a mangle out of that pathetic worm! Hehehahaha!.."
But it seems like Egem didn't notice it at all. For some reason, all that was on his mind was fighting, battles, tactics, strategies, and weapons, and on the topic of weapons...

GET THAT BOW
Whatever the price, I WILL PAY IT FOR THAT BOW, he can take the whole pouch if he wants to. IT WILL BE MINE...

If the dwarf wants to stay, let him stay, but I would rather weaklings like him that are not in the party to be away from danger, as that might reduce our friend points with that commander guy, which we might need if we want a bigger reward for playing this silly game, hehehe...

Wait.. Something's not quite right, have i always acted like this? Could this be the work of that "god"?
Well, whatever, I'll try to deal with this later...
For now, i should probably suggest we hunt animals instead of having to spend money on buying food all the time, after all, I was a hunter before joining this party...

If anyone questions Egem about his eyes, he will act confused, before suddenly having his whole personality, mannerisms, behaviour, and way of speech change completely, and gleefully saying:
"No need to Worry, Little one! I am Totally normal and Absolutely nothing about me has ever changed! And I am most certainly not being possessed by a godly entity that is beyond your comprehension! Or am I? Hehehehe..."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 05:05:01 pm by TeaKing »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2023, 03:50:46 am »

Entry 1

The bowman seems rather annoyed with the party's presence in this hovel, and even after much flattery and good humor he will still only part with his bow and arrows in exchange for Egem's crossbow, bolts, and all his money. The bowman had both bismuth bronze and iron arrows, but would not part with the iron since it is the most valuable and rare of military metals in human lands.

Egem now has a bronze bow and 31 bismuth bronze arrows.

The party leaves Ashiala with the afternoon spring sun warming them and their packs stuffed with enough fruit to last the whole journey as the set forth north. A statue stands on the edge of the village

Source: https://www.weekendnotes.com/warburton-forest-tour/
This stretch of forest is particularly beautiful to behold with ancient lush trees and many bushes holding food. This is one of the few stretches of fertile and usable land left in the east although contested by both elves and humans.

The sun begins to set just as we near a goblin dark pit. The place is known to not be abandoned, but their people are severely weakened and function more as petty bandits for the area.
While there's still light out it would be good to make a plan:

The purple symbol next to our red dot starting point is a dark pit. The yellow symbols are all elven settlements and the purple ones to the west are ones that were destroyed by necromancers and are now the territory of dangerous abominations.
Do we wish to scour the pit? As we travel north then west we will pass elven lands. Do we wish to seek information from the elves on our prey? More than likely some elves are still alive who were there for the invasion of the necromancer tower!  We will be most likely attacked by the beasts who live upon the elves western border.

We start a campfire and gather around

What are you going to do tonight?
Would you share a story with the party? Or perhaps more about who you are and where you're from? The rest of the party doesn't know you. Anyone you wish to ask any questions?

END DAY ONE

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2023, 04:12:36 am »

Grugni is on board with stopping into a forest retreat for directions to Ciba's lair. He hopes we don't get wrangled up into elven problems, but knows sometimes those things are unavoidable.

Grugni's campfire past time is going to be trying to turn these grapes we found into wine. Or some of them at least.

He will ask Egem about his eyes like planned

"No need to Worry, Little one! I am Totally normal and Absolutely nothing about me has ever changed! And I am most certainly not being possessed by a godly entity that is beyond your comprehension! Or am I? Hehehehe..."

Grugni looks concerned and waves a hand in front of the Eagle man's face
"Hmm in the caverns this might be called mushroom madness. Dwarves get wild and say they're gods or spirits and what not. What you been eating, Egem?"

When there's a quiet moment around the campfire Grugni will want to share some of his story. "I don't know if you all could tell, but I wasn't at the castle of my own will. I'm a criminal and all but an outright exile amongst my people." He pauses and considers his next words
"Dwarves didn't always live on the surface. We used to build vast cities under the earth. Fields of mushrooms, forges larger than anything you see anymore up here and all the mines. The mines!" his eyes are glazy "My ancestors were always miners finding new veins of rare metal and jewels for the glory of all dwarfkind, but then one day....we dug too deep" He seems ashamed. If you're from this land at all you'd recognize the tale of dwarves digging too deep. It led to the bloodiest and most horrifying war in history.
"Afterwords king Tholtig made a decree. No new mines will ever be dug. The metals of the deep will remain in the deep and any dwarf who observes our ancestral ways is a criminal...That is me. I am one of the few dwarves who still honors his ancestors and prospects the depths. Without protection I spend more time hunting monsters than I do digging, but this is the way that the gods have seen fit to make things."

Egem being from dwarven lands may recognize all of the tale or very little depending on his particular backstory.

TeaKing

• Bay Watcher
  • the ruler of tea kind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2023, 11:33:57 am »

After answering Grugni in Egem's stead, the voice thought:
"Ugh... At this point no more fighting is to be expected... I thought perhaps some more dangers would've been encountered today, but I was mistaken... No reason to keep my little servant in combat mode, it would just interfere with his socializing and friend-making... Poor thing would become useless to me that way... Anyway, Egem, wakey wakey! Time for you to get back to your senses!.."

And with that, Egem's eyes were black again, and all thoughts of violence and combat suddenly disappeared...

Oh goodness, my head hurts...
Were you speaking just now, weird diety thing?
If you're still present, can you please tell me more about yourself and what the hell you've been doing to me?

"Yes, I am here little one... All you need to know though, is that I am an entity from outside this universe, and that I had a hand in bringing you into existence... You are meant to help me achieve my goal, and that of my creator... As such, you will do whatever I ask you to do... Refusal won't stop me from forcing you into following orders though, Heheheheha!"

Wow... You sure are a benevolent diety... If I have no choice, I guess I'll just have to agree, but what's with this cruelty??

"Dude, You consider this cruel? Wait until you see what I did with the world that I visited right before this one, Hehehe!.. But you need to relax a bit, It's not like I'm gonna force you to murder your friends, I'm not that Evil! In fact, you might get rewarded nicely if you follow along... Now, how about you focus on interacting with your party?.. Don't want them to view you as a mad weirdo now, do you?"

Rewards, you say? Hmmm...
Also aren't you the one who made me look like a weirdo in the first place?! You made me lose control of myself! Shouldn't you apologize?

Anyway...

"I know what Grungi is talking about quite well, even if I was born after the underworld was breached. I encountered some of those monsters after all..."

Egem said to the party

"My first ever memories were in a lush and beautiful forest, full of varied and colorful fruits and all kinds of animals and insects. I enjoyed my first few months of life in total peace, feeding on small delicious insects and berries, but that peace was completely shattered when an army of gigantic demons, horrible monstrosities, and abominations with unimaginable forms came by. They devoured everything in their path, killing without mercy all the wildlife that was around, until they eventually surrounded me. By some miracle, a couple of elven soldiers saw me, rushed towards my location, and in mere seconds all the horrors were slain. Then, weirdly enough, they carried me to a nearby dwarven town. There, the dwarves took good care of me, and that place became my new home, where I learned all about the horrific beings that destroyed my old home, as well as the great dwarven civilization and its wealth of relics and treasures before the world below was breached... Now, to tell a bit of a bizarre story: when I got older, I tried to search for those Elves that saved my life in order to thank them, But I was completely unable to find them, not a sliver of information, not even from forest retreats near my home, as if all trace of their existence was removed from the world, which is mind boggling when you realise that they killed tens of demons in mere seconds, which would lead one to believe that they were very skilled at fighting and thus quite famous. I wonder where they went?"

"Hoohoo! I know where they are Little Egem... But everything has a price, you know... If you at least deliver the finishing blow to that thing the commander tasked you to kill, I'll tell you where they are... Hehehe..."

Btw maloy, can you allow me do a special little thing for my character? Basically, i want him to get an ability that normally, no dwarf fortress creature would ever have (and it could be considered quite OP). Of course he wont have this ability instantly, that's too easy and would sap away fun from this game, instead he's gonna go on a bit of a side-quest that would take a lot of effort to complete to get it.
If you're okay with this idea so far, more details can be discussed in private messages
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 12:40:32 pm by TeaKing »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2023, 03:15:29 am »

Burt doesn't really see a need to even try to enter the pit even if he could get a proper sword there. He did see a need to talk to the elves since they'd probably have info on the creature they were hunting.

As for the night time he'd listen to the stories told by the others, help keep guard, and the fire going, but other than that he wouldn't really share anything because he doesn't really have anything interesting to share, also he'd a closer watch on the eagle man.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2023, 05:38:19 am »

Not an update, but we are continuing on our way.

On the first post there's a glitch I shared where we have 100k elves in LV, but in actuality more like 1600 total. I went to the forest retreat LV says has all those elves and its a crash to desktop scenario.

For the party this isn't a problem at all you guys have no reason to be there, but for the future of this project I find that distressing! I can't eventually kill all the elves if they are protected by a glitch

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2023, 03:04:02 pm »

Who fixed that glitch in the Museum III?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2023, 03:01:18 am »

This isn't the world I've heard about being affected by this bug, the only way I've heard about it being fixed is with DFhack.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2023, 03:55:22 am »

I don't recall who fixed it. I do remember my character in the game being the cause of one of them due to missing limbs as a werebeast. His werebeast regeneration would just crash the game as it couldn't find his missing limb. Weird, but also I'm not sure its the same bug

If I knew how to even look for what bug is causing this using dfhack I'd be willing to try and find it myself

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2023, 12:03:16 pm »

I know I'm a bit early, but we didn't side quest this week so no reason why can't post early!
Also here is the night time difference between how the rest of you see and how Grugni sees

Entry 2
The party awoke in the evening to find the prisoner we had freed was gone. There wasn't even a trail to follow! We had to continue on our way due to a lack of options and went due west to get around the dark pits.
Where did he go? Why did he leave?

just south of the dark pits, with the primitive wooden towers in sight, we run into a doctor heading the way we are coming from. He has splatters of blood upon his outfit

Source: Pathfinder Kingmaker

One of the party asks him where he is coming from and where he is going.
"Excuse me, I am the head doctor of the union Thad Mebasmsir and if the state of my dress or the direction I am coming from isn't obvious enough then I'll tell you I  have just finished saving lives, good sirs"
"Lose the attitude, manling. Humans work for goblins too and that's where you're coming from."
The doctor's visage softens although he does still frown at the party
"Yes, well. It is your fellow adventurers I was dispatched to save. Only one day and a whole party ended up in a grisly battle with goblins." He looks more focused as he recalls his work "I saved most of them and they will be going home hopefully after this and now I am returning home to my post at the castle too!"
Do you believe him? Do you wish to say anything or ask anything before parting ways?
He doesn't seem to be lying, but either way we need to let him go. The risk of potentially assassinating the most important medical mind in the union is a dreadful thought.

After circumventing the dark pits we head due north. It turns out there is a very narrow no-man's land inbetween the pits and an elven forest retreat due west of the pit. It would take about thirty minutes to go from one side to the next. A dangerous situation for the elves accentuated by the fact that we find a small camp of elven refugees in this no man's land

source: World of warcraft

Being from elven lands and recognizing the fearful nature the refugees are probably in Burt goes to ask the elves about our quarry while the rest of us wait outside.
What do we do while we wait for Burt?

Burt returns to us with a plethora of information that the ancient elves retained of the western lands
1. Ciba Glistenglimmerred is an Ettin
2. His lair is called Breachblossoms
3. The exact location of his lair

Burt, how did your conversation go with the elf?

We go north then west before reaching elven borders.

Source: World of Warcraft Ghostlands

This is normally an anxious moment for most. The elves spent much of their history battling hideous abominations in this land never gaining ground only to lose it to an army of the dead that tainted the land and raised the dead. Supposedly somewhere in this forest a group of elves and humans fight to reclaim the tainted land...
What is your reaction to this land?

We camp in the haunted forest next to a brook. After the prisoner running out on us the party agrees to take turns on watch. We are in a day's march to Ciba's lair.

Who is on watch? To lift the party's spirits would you like to share a boast before tomorrow's likely battle with Ciba?

The next morning we cross the brook west and reach the outskirts of the lair. We do not know what type of dwelling Ciba is in or if he is even home.
What should our strategy be? How should we approach?

Grugni reactions:

When the freed prisoner abandoned them Grugni spat on the ground and stomped around looking for him for a few minutes before giving up. "An admission of guilt if I ever saw one"

His reaction to the head doctor Thad would mostly be to his attitude as you saw "Doctors are a priceless resource these days, but that one could use a little less attitude and a little more humility."
"Half those adventurers looked like greenhorns to me so not shocked a whole group already got knocked out."

When we reach the small camp and we are all conversing while Burt talks to the elf I would remark "These tents are nicer than the trees they sleep in" then chuckle "Maybe the elves are actually upgrading and not fleeing!"

The haunted forest disturbs Grugni a lot and you will see him keeping his axe at the ready and occasionally brandishing it when he hears rattling in bushes or trees. "Only thing worse than trees and shrubbery is haunted trees and shrubbery!"

He takes first watch not only because the darkness is soothing to his cave adapted eyes, but also because the forest disturbs him. Before the party retires for the night he laughs and holds his pickaxe high in the air "I bet you I can take one of those heads clean off in one blow!!"

"I'm willing to bet this beast lives in a hole in the ground if it hates civilization." I motion to our two bird members "I say one of us lures it out so these two can fight at their best"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:05:51 pm by Maloy »

TeaKing

• Bay Watcher
  • the ruler of tea kind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2023, 03:57:12 pm »

Hmmm... I believe the prisoner might've headed east. It is for the best that he went away though, staying with us would be a major risk for him.

As for the doctor, He does seem a bit suspicious, we should definitely ask about him when we talk to the commander again...

While we wait for info, I'll be observing the surrounding environment, I've never been here before, after all.

The land sure is eery, but a part of me seems to like it's lack of life.

"What a cozy place!.. A shame that I'm currently unable to manifest into the physical realm to enjoy it... "

You're there, Diety? By the way, Isn't it Kinda tiring to refer to you as that? Do you have any name?

"I'd love to say that knowing my real name would make you go Insane or something of that nature, but that is ridiculously untrue and outlandish... You can call me Theo..."

Such a bizarre name for a god... anyway, didnt you mention that you had a creator? What's their name?

"None of your business!.. but seriously, If I Told you the world might actually get destroyed..."

Uhh... I guess I won't bother, then...

I'd like to volunteer to watch over for the Night along with Grugni, would be a good opportunity to talk and share a bit of info on this Theo entity with him, since It interacted with him after possessing me.
But before that, I'll agree to Grugni's strategy and add that we need to focus on targeting eyes and legs to hinder the Monster's mobility and attack accuracy, to take it down with the least amount of injury possible.

After finishing the talk about strategy, Egem held his bow up in the air and shouted as his eyes briefly flashed Orange:
"Ciba's Fate Has Been Sealed!"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2023, 05:06:13 am »

He probably realized where we were going would be dangerous and weren't going in the direction he wanted to so he decided to take off when no one was watching him.

Burt sees no real reason not to believe what the doctor says as he knows nothing about being a doctor so he sees no reason the doctor would be lying.

It took a few minutes to get them to trust that Burt wasn't working with the goblins and was actually there to help, and once he had them thoroughly convinced of his nature the elves turned out to a fountain of information, giving him all the info he had hoped to learn including the location of Ciba's lair. And while he had no idea how they knew all this he was grateful for the information as it saved his group potentially days of searching for Ciba's location. So all in all he felt the conversation went incredibly well.

The whole area gave Burt a bad feeling but he felt that as long as the group stayed together nothing bad would happen, and if something did they could count on each other to help defeat it.

Since they were in a new and unknown area Burt would also join in the night watch, best to have a watchmen then get caught unaware.

Burt thought that the strategy the others had come up with sounded good and figured it was better than anything he could come up with.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2023, 04:30:32 am »

Entry 3
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMAALHrANz0&t=2645s&ab_channel=Adventurer%27sMusicPack
When the party awoke in the haunted forest they found themselves in some distress. Two members were robbed in the night.
Grugni's axe was stolen as well as all the spears Glorg had except for one that he slept with.

Did the forest steal it? Or one of it's many abominations?

Regardless they had to move onto Breachblossoms.

The ettin's "lair" was a small copse of trees. Entirely unremarkable in appearance and likely would have taken the party the majority of the two week time limit to find if not for the helpful elf.
As we drew nearer we agreed to a plan.
Grugni, the smallest and most well trained for dodging and sprinting would lure the creature into a trap so the party could surround and savage him. They crept closer to find the location of their trap.
They found a couple of dead adventurers from the castle imapled on trees, another indicator of recent inhabitation.

The entrance to it's cave den was entirely unremarkable. A small indentation into a hillside covered with grass so easily missed. The party took up places in the tree adjacent from the entrance. Glorg and Hal climbed the tree to ambush the beast while Burt stood behind it waiting for the beast to appear to face it head on. Egem waited left of this in a small clearing so he could fly straight up when the time came to fire down.

source: https://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-16/rift-ettin-giant.html

Grugni crept quietly through the cave, now more at home amongst this dirt cave than the open atmosphere of the surface.
As he got further the cave was littered with treasures, clothing and bones. Dwarf bones specifically. Whether the creatures were recent victims who had been devoured or old ones was impossible to tell as they had been reduced to meals cleaned to the bone.

As Grugni reached the back of the cave he saw the ettin rummaging around through it's mixed pile of trash and treasure. Ghastly. It's nails were incredibly thick and sharpened into claws and was entirely naked. More beastly than humanoid.Grugni rummaged through the pile next to him as well and found an iron boot. Dwarfish quality for sure.
Grugni threw it at the ettin, but the creatures instincts kicked in immediately and it dodged out of the way. It's baleful eyes glared at Grugni and the dwarf knew he had got the creatures attention. He ran as the beast bellowed bloody taunts and bragged of the horrendous things he would do to the dwarf all the while Grugni spent every bit of energy just trying to dodge and run and dodge some more.  The beast swung a giant Satinspar stone slab carved with text. The heart of the tower presumably. This incredibly heavy object made for a strong improvised weapon and being magical it could never break.

The two reached sunlight finally and Grugni outright jumped into the ground beneath the tree his two friends were waiting in. Rain was now pouring all around us as the Ettin crawled out grumbling.

Three ways to read this fight for the sake of preferences:
music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GX9lVHfnxs&t=66s&ab_channel=Bardify

Combat logs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Description:
Summary:

Pictured: The party desperately locked into a lightning fast battle over top Hal's unconscious body while Grugni crawls away bleeding out.

Killing blow of Glorg:

I'll do a separate post on loot and our plans after if you guys have anything you want to do specifically. How did your characters react throughout the battle? Encourage playing that out! I was very afraid of losing Grugni
Here is a recording of Grugni thinking he can dodge all the ettin's attacks before he gets LAUNCHED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WUJrP6mnAI&ab_channel=WooLan

There was what I presume is a bug that caused some of our items to disappear. My battleaxe for my dual wielding and most of Glorg's spears. Unfortunate.

You all had pretty cool moments in my opinion and we were perfectly balanced to be challenged by this lol. Thank you for being our tank, King Zultan
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:55:47 am by Maloy »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23