- 0 (0%)
Titans
- 0 (0%)
Vault Guardians
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 04, 2022, 09:24:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]

Author Topic: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom  (Read 40576 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2024, 02:33:56 am »

I like these little lore posts that you put together.

How much more work is left before you think we'll get to see the age of fairy tails?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2024, 03:17:39 pm »

Appreciate it!

We'll see? I slowed down after the steam release of adventure mode mostly because real life stress has been pretty high.
I already got my next guy up to plug away some more at some adventures just need to put it together and post it lol

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 24, 2024, 03:00:58 am »

I'll be excited to see what you come up with, but if real life stuff is going on don't feel pressured to post here, we can wait.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 29, 2024, 04:17:00 am »

I have a quicker solution to our pop problems than camping random patrols and retiring-unretiring to hunt new nobles.

Unretire-Anyone.

Using Legends Viewer I can see the full list of currently living members of each race. At least I think it is the full list. It LOOKS like over 200 dwarves.

Anywho I can unretire them and the missing people from the goblins and elves and plant them in places I think.

There'd be a change where I'd transition from reacting to, and writing story from, the game and what it is doing. To me planting and writing the story myself.
Also I'm only mostly sure this is the entire list. LOOKS like everybody, but it won't let me copy paste the whole list and I don't wanna count by hand all morning.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2024, 03:08:55 am »

Getting everybody somewhere you can actually find sounds way easier than running around chasing blips on the map to murder. I say go for it as that sounds like it'll make the whole process less of a pain in the ass.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 06, 2024, 09:18:57 pm »

Prologue: Final Trial of the Dwarf-Friend
The two swordsmen faced each other. One massive warrior with sword and shield and the other a small one, the size of a dwarf, but the build of a young human with sword and shield as well.

The Morning sun was rising and bathing the smaller warrior in warm light as its rays ate away the morning dew. Behind the massive warrior was dark swirling clouds of a storm that was forever encroaching yet never advancing toward the small settlement.

The two eyed one another and silence filled the air that comes only moments before violence. The silence continued for moments until the smaller warrior broke first and charged forth swinging his blade overhead at his opponent. The massive warrior caught the sword on his shield and lunged forth, but the smaller pulled back where he could catch it on his shield. The force of the larger warrior's blade would have pushed the smaller away, but the smaller moved with it and the shield instead allowed the blade to slash across the shield instead of meet it and the younger warrior found himself behind the larger and ready to strike.
The larger moved faster than the small warrior could have imagined and swept his leg to kick up dust blinding the small warrior temporarily and then swiping the small one's blade out of his hand with his own.
The now disarmed smaller warrior did not know what to do, but the larger one did not relent and began swinging his blade down again and again as the smaller was forced to use his shield to just hold back certain defeat.
Again and again blows rained down just barely caught upon the splintering shield.

The small warrior was panicking and trying to see through the dust cloud being kicked up and believing he saw his sword he waited for the next blow against his shield to finish and then he rolled with it and grabbed for his sword. He quickly jumped up and swung it wide at his opponent, but too late did he notice his enemy's blade stabbing in against his stomach. Intense pain hit the small warrior and the force of the blow threw him onto his back.
The larger warrior looked at the smaller laying on the ground and spoke "You lose, Mispi." and dropped his own sword and shield.

Kanil offered his hand to his defeated student and the boy took it "I almost had you!" he said bitterly while holding his stomach that would surely bruise this day.
"No, you didn't. You assumed I was right on your tail and swung wide at the end assuming I'd be there to take the blow. That might work against a goblin or zombie, but never, and hear me say it again, never assume what your opponent is going to do." Kanil said arms crossed and tone firm
Mispi, the orphan the party had adopted after saving from the dark citadel in the arctic north, looked bitterly at his mentor at this rebuke and returned "Uncle Nemo says that predicting your enemy is how all battles are won before they start."
"Predicting and assuming are different things entirely. Learn the difference and you'll become a great warrior. Don't and you'll just be another forgotten corpse in these lands." Kanil said coldly
The boy, barely 12 at this age, looked at Kanil with a face that was debating crying or yelling. Before he could work up a response Kanil grabbed his head and pulled him close into his shoulder hugging him "You're doing good, Mispi. We just don't want you to get arrogant." He let the boy go and continued "Now go check in on that priest. You probably got chores to do"
The boys anger subsided some and he limped off holding his stomach.
The fact that he wasn't left retching from that blow shows how much he is improving, Kanil thought.

Kanil set off to the main hall of Fragrancehelm, the home of him and his companions. It sat next to the river for easy fishing and water access and next to its bank was Ersi the warrior who was doing push ups by the river. The warrior was entrusted with guardianship of the hamlet and trained ceaselessly to keep up his role. Despite constant training he could never seem to catch up with Kanil's super human form, but that did not stop the legendary warrior from trying. Ersi's hair was well-kept and naturally dashing to Kanil's wild and unkempt mane. Ersi had blonde hair, rare for this region, to Kanil's brown. By most appearances Ersi was more fitting as a hero of legend to Kanil who often looked like a wild beast when covered in the mud and blood of battle.
He did not stop exercising even as Kanil called to him "Ersi! You seen Nemo?"
"At his usual roost at the edge of town watching everyone and everything" he said huffing between reps.
"Great. I'll head that way then, I guess."
"He's in a grim mood, boss" Ersi huffed
"As usual" Kanil chuckled and walked the opposite direction and headed for the hill overlooking the hamlet.

Nemo was roosted upon the hill. The elf had a blind he had designed from brush and bramble in the area that allowed him to survey the area in a relaxed position without being seen. To the north, and down the hill, was the settlement of Helmsfragrance with its Mead hall and attached crypt where Kanil had buried his dearest friends.

To the south-east was another wooden building serving as a tavern and Inn and usually sporting a few travelers who'd come to tell tales or see one of the legendary warriors.
Further south on the edge of the town was a large temple platform supported by wooden beams where anyone could worship whatever deity struck their fancy. Atop the temple was buried the most dangerous foes of the band where the foul arts of necromancy would hopefully never find them.
Further north one could see the mighty silhouettes of the dwarven mountains where Nemo's extended family lived in a farming hillocks not far from them.
To the south-west lied the smoking ruins of Clappedsear and to the south-east a dark could that forever swirled above the battleground of Tumam the god of death. A fog permeated that area so thick that one could not see what lay beyond. It had been months, but neither cloud nor mist had dissipated.

Nemo was looking north as Kanil approached. "Ho, Kanil! Friend of elves!" the elven bladesman called
"Ho, Nemo! Friend of man!" Kanil called back.
The elf crawled out of the blind. He was as skilled a bladesman as Ersi although where Ersi built size and muscle, Nemo had a lithe figure for quick swordsmanship and movement. The iron-clad warrior was nearly a master swordsman himself just as kanil had already achieved. Despite all the glad tiding in his personal life the elf stayed dour as ever and recent world events seemed to only reinforce this habit. Kanil noted where the elf had been looking and said "You watch the north when that bleak cloud still hangs over us to the south-west?"
Nemo spared the cloud a glance and said "A threat to be sure, but not the most pressing one. Dwarven messengers come from the north to see our stout friends Ingiz and the rest" He nodded his heard towards the temple where the dwarves had uncharacteristically gathered to meet the strangers rather than at the comfort of the bar.
Kanil looked at the band thoughtfully "You think they'd even consider betraying us? Ingiz has been to the end of the world and back with us and the others listen to him. We'll be fine"
"The end of the world changes ones perspectives and priorities more than any one could expect, Kanil. Do not burden the stout folk by expecting more from them than they can give"
Kanil sighed in frustration "Now you speak in riddles! Is is too much that I expect them not to betray us? They shall not! If the world is ending then we shall all face it together as we did with Cor and again at the Dark Citadel"
"Aye, but beware the burdens our friends have to take on themselves in these dark days. I sense a grim task ahead of them and I simply advise, my friend, that we do not hold them to their oaths to us. For if you had me choose between my oath to you and my duty to my people the agony would tear me in two" Nemo's final words were stated with a grim certainty that calmed Kanil as he was reminded of how deeply his friends cared for him.
He clapped his hand on Nemo's shoulder "Come, my friend and brother, let us go and see what these messengers have told and if our dwarven friends need our aid once more"

The man and elf reached the base of the hill as the messengers had already begun to depart. The dwarves eyed the two as they approached and most had strange looks in their eyes that were difficult for Kanil to decipher. Two looked outright fearful of Kanil and every single dwarf present was armed even if the weapons were stowed.

"What news, brethren" Nemo called.
The dwarves looked toward one another conspiratorially and finally Ingiz broke the silence. The dwarf was covered in scars, missing an ear as well as many teeth. His speech was permanently impeded by his lack of teeth, but his naturally gritty tone still communicated the voice of a warrior "Most of the lads before you have been named nobility and leaders of what is left of the Craterous Glazes and the Silver of Staves." Ingiz spat on the ground "Inherited the job because everyone else is dead"  The group begun muttering bitter agreement at this.
"Does this mean you must depart to go rule some underground castle or other, Ingiz?" Kanil asked
The muttering ceased and silence fell again and Ingiz too was silent before finally sighing and speaking again "Lad, we've got the heaviest task of all given to us. To avenge our dead and protect the eternal glory of our people"
Ingiz's mouth was open for moments, but no words came out and the tension in the air was thick enough to cut with a knife. He continued after moments of severe conflict upon his face "...and. That means we're gonna have to arrest you, Kanil"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 07, 2024, 03:58:31 am »

Well that comment at the end makes me think that whole exchange will not end well for the dwarves involved, given who they're after.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 14, 2024, 03:16:16 pm »

Mispi tried valiantly to ignore the aches in his body as he lifted yet another bucket of water, hauled from the river, into the kitchen cauldron. Having to spar against Kanil and then perform this manual labor was outright cruel and he was inclined to let the priest know just that!

"Why are you always passing off your jobs to me, priest?"
The "priest", Ersi, was sitting on a tree stump with a book his eyes quickly glancing through pages as if looking for something interesting. He was the other Ersi and not nearly as martially successful as the muscled powerhouse that followed Kanil from battle to battle. He looked up and smirked "I'm helping you learn, boy. You should be thanking me!"
Mispi glowered "No, you're just a lazy good for nothing"
"Pfft! It is my responsibility as a spiritual leader to ensure the nurturing and growth of peoples character! By giving you my trivial labors I am helping you grow in patience, discipline and dignity!"
"You're a free loader who makes up fancy sayings. Don't know why the others take you on any expeditions over me!"
The priest feigned offense "I'll have you know, child. That I fought in the battleto reclaim the city of Inkyrouts! Fought cold hunters and everything! Its not my fault that, recognizing my potential and the severity of the situation, I was suddenly gifted the position of high priest of Gamo!"
This was still a mystery to all. Ersi had been a sly tribal warrior recruited by Kanil with the others and despite having no religious background he had been made high priest. He spent most of his days reading old tomes and trying to make himself seem fit for the role
Mispi looked at the priest with disappointment in his eyes, but the priest continued "To answer your other point: You're still a child! 12 years old is hardly the age to be fighting against hordes of the dead, troll armies, cultists and cold hunters!"
"It's not like you can fight them either! You've never even killed anything before even with that fancy iron sword! I'd learn on the go! My destiny is waiting for me out there!" Mispi threw his fist pointing to the ominous and ever present cloud hanging over where the great horde of the dead were halted.
Ersi the Priest wagged his finger towards one of the smaller buildings saying "Look here boy! You see that building? That is where everyone who thought they had what it takes, when they didn't, ended up. If you think you're the next-" the priest stopped confused by the large crowd gathering around the temple next to the crypt hall. Many dwarves gathered with a few of the outposts elves and humans standing in the back. An anxious energy seemed to run through the whole crowd and the priest's instincts that had long saved him from the worst dangers of the world now told him that something was afoot again.
Mispi looked at the crowd curiously "What's happening there?"
The priest glanced back at the boy "Hmmm. Likely a beard measuring competition. I'll go check it out and you go get that last bucket of water"
Mispi sighed and picked up the empty bucket. Ersi slammed his book shut and began to quietly make his way over.

Despite the fact that no one had reached for any weapons yet. Kanil's body had entered that preternatural state of one ready for lethal violence. He knew in a moment he could have the large two handed sword, Cloudfought, in his hands, and in another moment he could have two dwarves decapitated. Despite his desire to work things out with his friend his instincts had already prepared to deal brutal death to any who tried to harm him or Nemo. "Don't try this, Ingiz" He said flatly
The crowd of warrior dwarves seemed noticeably nervous. Nemo put out his hands in placating fashion "Yes, let's not do this. Dwarves, I have called you my oath-kin for decades and have dwelt in and protected your lands as such. Kindly, tell me the reason for this madness?"
Ingiz seemed calm yet sad "Answered are owed, no matter what the nobles might claim, and so I shall tell you." He looked to Kanil "You are a great hero to us and all peoples. You defeated a sworn dwarf-enemy and not only avenged our countless dead, but also protected our future" members of the crowd nodded and looked to Kanil with due respect. "Yet, doing a great deed does not wipe away a wrong one. Early in your journey, when you were still a bandit, you slew a goblin who acted as mayor and overlord of a dwarf hillocks. He was the leader of an occupying force, yes, but he was also protected by dwarven law. By killing him without sanction from one of the dwarven kingdoms you were committing murder, acting against the kingdom of the Silver of Staves, and inciting anarchy. These crimes don't disappear just because you're a good person, Kanil"
Kanil recalled this event and recalled his battle against the pursuing dwarven military as they concerned themselves more with hunting him than rescuing their oppressed citizens. "You'd arrest me for something so ridiculous? Perhaps those who did nothing while the hillocks was occupied by an enemy goblin force, intent on attacking my own home, ought to be brought in and hanged for negligence and cowardice?" the crowd of dwarves roared their anger at these insults at Kanil, as dwarven pride was sensitive, and Kanil reached a hand towards his sword menacingly

Ingiz did not grow in anger though and looked to Kanil with grim determination alongside his previous sadness "I know this and I agree. Why do you think I have long lived away from the kingdoms? These are the last days of our people, Kanil! We here have been entrusted with ensuring that our glory and legacy lives on when the final dwarf dies! All wrongs must be righted and our glories protected for the centuries to come!"
Nemo took a step forward seeking to place himself between the unstoppable human and the immovable dwarves "There must be another way. Kanil saved the future of the dwarves once otherwise none of us would even be here! Surely that merits something, oathkin. He is a crucial ally in your plans to protect your peoples future!"
Ingiz did not look away from Kanil to respond to Nemo "Law is law. Rights don't make wrongs stop mattering. I promise a fair trial and to stand at your side in your defense, Kanil. I'll fight for you harder than anything I've ever done before!"
Kanil felt the turmoil inside of himself in his desire to not hurt his friend, but his instincts screamed for self-preservation "I'm not going" He said quietly
Ingiz sighed and looked down. He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could another voice jumped in "Excuse me, dwarves, allow me to pass! I have a solution to your quandary!"
Ersi the priest squeeze by dwarves his armor visible beneath his resplendent robes.
Nemo was glad to take some of the pressure off himself and encouraged the dwarves to let the man through "Please, oathkin, we must hear all perspectives!"
Ersi reached Nemo, Ingiz and Kanil. He dramatically patted dust off his robe before speaking.
"Now, I understand this is an issue of law."
"Dwarven law, Priest. Not the place of religious figures"
Ersi chuckled and cleared his throat "In human lands law and religion are the same. Thus, I am versed in both!"
He waited for a moment to see if anyone protested his logic and then continued when he was not challenged "As I believe I heard you noble dwarves state: You all have been made into the new nobility and rulers of the dwarven kingdoms. Thus you are its arbitrators of law. Judge and jury, you might say!" He smiled his most winning smile as he spoke
Ingiz did not bat an eye "Power and positions aren't meant to be used to accomplish what one wants. Things must be done properly and justly"
Ersi held up his hands amicably "now now, that is not what I am saying. I am a beacon of law, dear friend." Some of the non-dwarves chuckled at this
The priest cleared his throat again "I propose a plea deal: Provided we don't go to all the trouble of going to court, we agree Kanil is guilty of the things charged against him-" Kanil's glare made the priest stutter and pause. He held his hands up towards him and continued "Hold on! Hold on! On the condition that he gets a sentencing that we agree upon and would still honor dwarven law and dignity. That is to say: We request community service!"
The dwarves roared in outrage and others began muttering to themselves angrily. Ingiz also looked angry for the first time in the discussion "That is an insult to our courts! Service, craft, and duty are the highest honor of dwarves and could never be a punishment."
Ersi wagged his finger "Ah! But, Kanil is no dwarf! Punsihments for a dwarf are not fitting for him! Humans don't value forced labor and actually hate it! Not only would is this a harsh punishment for our kind, but also the community service can be this "securing" of your peoples legacy you spoke of" Ersi winked at Kanil who now looked confused by the exchange
Nemo cut in seeming to have caught onto Ersi's plan and agreeing "So, what kind of service should he do in this instance?"
Ersi clapped and dramatically waved his arms like a magician before pointing to the dark cloud on the horizon "To destroy the ones who doomed the dwarves to begin with!"

Everyone fell into silence at this.

Giant perpetual cloud of doom raised during Tumam's final battle:

OOC:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:31:04 am by Maloy »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 15, 2024, 05:11:25 am »

Fighting a cloud of doom sounds like quit the challenge, hopefully he's up for the task.

The Spellwright

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 15, 2024, 09:04:44 am »

It's a good thing his blade is named Cloudfought, then. He was made for this quest.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2024, 02:12:22 pm »

It's a good thing his blade is named Cloudfought, then. He was made for this quest.
You know... This game has been going for almost two years and Cloudfought has been around the whole time and I literally did not even think about that lol
It was just a randomly generated name the game gave the sword so I actually think that is so epic now that you point that out

Fighting a cloud of doom sounds like quit the challenge, hopefully he's up for the task.
Well, they took the demons and titan from him so now he has to fight the sky to prove himself lol
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]