Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread  (Read 5500 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - Hub Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2022, 07:46:30 am »

Do extra turns count as a "last turn" for the purposes of "if it didn't act last turn" rules? RAW they would seem to, but I'm guessing that isn't intended.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2022, 08:02:13 am »

Oh, it's definitely intended that they do not count as your last turn, that's why they are "extra".
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2022, 08:09:09 am »

I suppose I can rename ever instance of 'Turns' to 'Regular Turns', but let's just have an informal understanding about that one.

Edit: Actually, I just added a disclaimer to Extra Turns.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:17:07 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2022, 10:33:57 am »

So it was! Easy to miss when the game has two different types of turns, with different conditions that have to be met to take them and neither has to be declared. Carry on.

I found out a bit about myself, and why I have an issue with deadlines. Apparently people with Autism are prone to something called Demand Avoidance.

Though if it really is too complicated, and even if it isn't I have an idea to simplify things next go around. (Probably just turns)

I was diagnosed late in life, and I am still just learning how to quantify aspects of my experience of Autism. I really could not do the daily turns exclusively, I tried twice and I either forgot completely or was just stressing about it. I definitely want to be a player, so my designs will accommodate my disability, one way or another. (Even if I don't, I'll want to preserve the option.)

This is a big topic, so if anyone wants to discuss it I invite them to to so in Gaming Block. I can't promise I'll participate but if my input feels valued perhaps I will.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2022, 11:05:19 am »

The two types of turn thing is not really a big deal, it's just that it's complex, right? In a way that is not intuitive to grasp, so it means mistakes are quite likely.

I don't think I'm especially dense or unobservant (maybe I am!) but I managed to mistake a regular turn for an extra turn and an extra turn for regular turn. Well, maybe the first mistake made it more likely I'd make the second because I had primed myself to be aware of Cheetah turn sequence. Still, these kind of mistakes are going to be more likely the more you have different ways of doing the same thing, and the only way to tell is whether or not somewhere on the grid a box is greyed out or not.

It's a balance though, I get it. Between trying to design a game that works for different player preferences, and designing a game that is straight-forward to understand, and also limiting the overhead needed to make a turn.

--

As for demand avoidance: I think it's something everyone experiences to an extent, putting things off, but I get that some people struggle more with deadlines than others. For me, having a deadline is a nice jolt of urgency that ensures I prioritise getting something done. For that, a 24 cycle is quite useful, it has to be done by the end of the day, but I don't have to be in the thread at any given point. I think if this was a 100% cheetah game, I'd be constantly checking the thread every hour, eager to post a turn so I don't miss out. It would be more compulsive and so less healthy (though a lot quicker).

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2022, 11:24:46 am »

Don't beat yourself up, it's a lot going on in this one.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2022, 11:27:09 am »

As for demand avoidance: I think it's something everyone experiences to an extent, putting things off, but I get that some people struggle more with deadlines than others. For me, having a deadline is a nice jolt of urgency that ensures I prioritise getting something done. For that, a 24 cycle is quite useful, it has to be done by the end of the day, but I don't have to be in the thread at any given point. I think if this was a 100% cheetah game, I'd be constantly checking the thread every hour, eager to post a turn so I don't miss out. It would be more compulsive and so less healthy (though a lot quicker).

Hmm, if that's the case, then perhaps switching to turns isn't the best scenario.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2022, 11:38:06 am »

I'm not down about it, I'm just trying to illustrate that increased complexity always means increased mistakes.

Hmm, if that's the case, then perhaps switching to turns isn't the best scenario.
If a game is going to be finished over a few days, then regular checking is manageable but if it's a longer thing, then I find that sort of schedule a bit too consuming/distracting.

Your hippo/cheetah solution is a reasonable enough compromise between two incompatible playstyles: wanting to post once per day and no more than once vs wanting to post when you get in the thread and not have it matter too much if you miss a day. It just gets even more complex when you've got extra turns with different triggers, wait times for actions (like switching animal type or opening beacons) of different durations. For a tactically simple game, it's quite a lot of complicated overhead.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2022, 11:43:47 am »

Extra Turns also haven't come up very often, making it when they do more unfamiliar. I think if we had even 1 more player, it would see significantly more frequent use.

You can kind of think of Extra Turns as a component of Cheetah mechanics. So you can think of it as still being two systems...but, since Hippos are compatible, I allowed them to do it too. But it stemmed from making Cheetah mode more faithful to its' hourly playstyle intended design.

I see Hippos using it as a middle-ground, for people (a bit) more active than once per day.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 11:52:17 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2022, 11:49:43 am »

I would definitely take extra turns if I could double post with them. They're risky because it exposes the unit for a long time. I considered setting up my top-right soldier to get ready to shoot your engineer with an extra turn, but if you'd managed to get a turn in between, the plan would have come undone.

Don't get me wrong, because of the no double-posting rule, there hasn't been too much I-have-to-post-at-the-right-time-to-win stuff in this game. If there was, I'd go back to exclusively posting at 11.59 then at 12.01.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2022, 11:59:27 am »

ha ha

It's all about the right amount of cheese!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:01:40 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2022, 04:54:20 am »

I find the two systems confusing so I picked one and stuck with it then ignored the other.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2022, 07:17:21 am »

I find the two systems confusing so I picked one and stuck with it then ignored the other.
Good. I'm glad we can provide options and make them viable without necessarily paying attention to the other. (Though I am sure advanced play may involve knowing everything in-and-out!)
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2022, 12:42:25 pm »

GG guys.

Yeah I think 3 is a bit slim.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2022, 12:49:07 pm »

But if the aim of the game is to win all the armories, it doesn't matter how many players you start with, a non-stalemate game is always going to come down to two people.

I won a sort of morale victory just now: losing beacons is quite demoralising, as each one is several days wasted. Making the other players miserable is probably not the funnest game strat, however.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11