Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cool Civ Site Configurations  (Read 858 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cool Civ Site Configurations
« on: October 17, 2022, 06:23:20 pm »

Let me explain. So, while there's five civ types (dwarf fort, human city, goblin tower, kobold cave, elf forest) there's still ways to configure them differently to get results which let them be visually distinct from one another. I'll start with dwarf sites and the styles I've discovered.

Configuration 1: Default vanilla, they'll build all three dwarf site types (fort, hall, hillock).

Configuration 2: Single Fortress. If you set the starting biome to a specific non-mountain biome, and then set the biome support to a single biome, the civ will only make one fortress, and every other site will be hillocks.

Configuration 3: Road Network. If you set the start biome to ANY_LAND, and settleable biomes to ANY_LAND, what will happen is that the civ will spawn forts in such a way that each fort is spread apart from the next, usually connected by roads, and with around 4 or less hamlets adjacent to each fort.

Configuration 4: Single-Site. Setting the start biome to be EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME: any land and having BIOME_SUPPORT be ANY_LAND will cause the civ to only spawn a single fortress and never expand.

Basically, I'm curious about other memorable and visually-distinct-on-the-world-map styles of civ-site spread you may have discovered, any are appreciated and this will probably be useful to various modders.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Civ Site Configurations
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 05:43:52 am »

Basically, I'm curious about other memorable and visually-distinct-on-the-world-map styles of civ-site spread you may have discovered, any are appreciated and this will probably be useful to various modders.

Remember when you couldn't get the sites risen through the disasters to spread out when you were doing research on them? Retrospectively this is probably pretty essential why between us we had differing results, identically swapping out hamlets for pits, and most generic "fortresses" on mountains who'd be affected in vanilla are isolated.

Though to a rule, i think configuration 1 does allow more forts, but it might be 1 fort per range. AI worldgen Dwarves settling new mountains is rare but it does happen, to which i think there might be rules that tunnel and mountainhome interior-sites have a large part to play in it, usually twice the distance of a road.