Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [RPG] Ashes of the Network Redux (ASCII+AI art) [4/4]  (Read 1688 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
[RPG] Ashes of the Network Redux (ASCII+AI art) [4/4]
« on: October 17, 2022, 05:41:17 am »

((This is a rework of an old setting I and a friend of mine developed once. I made it more entertaining. This is also my first multiplayer game in a long time.))

In an alternate universe where, in spite of widespread automation, web design did not progress beyond the mid-90s, there was a nuclear war. Who bombed who is irrelevant, all that matters is that all humans have died, with billions lost in the first few days. Humanity's story had ended, and "THE END" was written in hellfire.

The combined pain and suffering of millions instantly dying in nuclear hellfire ripped open a tear in reality, somewhere in orbit of Earth. Magic, long extinct, seeped out and latched onto the ashes of the Network, their name for the Internet. Computers that survived the nukes, since depowered by the collapse of infrastructure, suddenly turned on, gaining a new life.

What followed was the creation of Cyberspace, an amalgamation of the subjects of chatrooms and websites, the inner workings of the computers they were hosted on, as well as the hazy collective memories of humanity-that-was. Cyberspace was divided into physical servers, which were further divided into spaces, chatrooms or websites, now twisted into hollow-shell mockeries of pre-war life. They were divided into three main categories: shining labyrinths, composed of psychedelic circuits and Matrix-like code; haunted forests, stalked by mindless embodiments of suffering; and dead cities, with intact buildings, yet no people, and empty cars driving around in circles.

Inside the shining labyrinths were born strange beings of code and magic called "souls", reincarnated from the victims of the nuclear apocalypse. They took many forms, such as humanoids made of random materials, multi-headed animals, and abstract dancing shapes. They lived off the magic infusing the servers, it was their lifeblood and means of action. The politicians and generals responsible for the nuclear war became digital demons, immensely powerful souls hell-bent on the subjugation of all of Cyberspace.

After the initial chaos and brutal warfare between nascent nation-states of souls, inspired by mangled records of old, and digital demons, the demons were driven into isolated sections of the Network and began biding their time. The new countries then fell to petty conflicts for the next 80 years until the "present", though civilization, such as it is, is now at an acceptable level. The demons have brainwashed "agents" who cause chaos and discord in Cyberspace, to fuel their masters with the souls' hatred.

All items used by souls are "modules", enchantments attached to small programs, which can function as tools, weapons, or virtual robots. Modules are made with and powered by Mana, concentrated magic found in only some spaces, which are sought after as mines.

More details on aspects of the setting:
Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spaces (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Society (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Modules and Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wildlife (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character template (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example characters (click to show/hide)

No matter who you are, you all bump into each other in the Meeting Hall of #hr33f, a small, orderly shining-labyrinth space that serves as the capital of a minor power, the Duchy of Blackdagger. The blue-tinted, lightly-checkered pseudomatter floor is covered in circuit patterns and large pipes going towards the walls and the forcefields that serve as doors. To the west is the entrance to the Lavender Palace, flanked by abstract geometric statues, to the north is the corridor leading to the local train station, and to the south and east are the commercial and residential streets, respectively. Various souls are gathered in the chamber, talking to each other. There is a currently-empty podium in the center.
Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

This is my highest-effort project yet and I will run it for a while at least. AI art courtesy of DreamStudio, ASCII art done via REXPaint. Waiting for 4 sheets to start.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 10:27:24 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] Ashes of the Network Redux (ASCII+AI art) [0/4]
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 08:53:01 am »

Hope I got everything right! I've been hankering for a good RPG as of late, and I really like the feel of what you have going on here. Honestly, this sort of thing is the reason I play on these forums -- There's always new and refreshing ideas to explore (even if my character is entirely derivative). Let me know if I ought to alter anything!

Spoiler: surVIVE#aE0067 (click to show/hide)
I've lost control of my life.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 10:59:57 am »

Hope I got everything right! I've been hankering for a good RPG as of late, and I really like the feel of what you have going on here. Honestly, this sort of thing is the reason I play on these forums -- There's always new and refreshing ideas to explore (even if my character is entirely derivative). Let me know if I ought to alter anything!

Spoiler: surVIVE#aE0067 (click to show/hide)
Seems good! If it's in any way derivative then I don't get the reference lol.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 11:06:51 am »

Seems good! If it's in any way derivative then I don't get the reference lol.

Derivative in that I've just used your setting to make a generic fantasy Troll haha. Glad it works though! Excited to see what others come up with.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] Ashes of the Network Redux (ASCII+AI art) [1/4]
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 02:15:53 pm »

Name: Vance Demonson
Gender (optional): Primarily Male

Stats: 11 - S, 6 - D, 15 - I, 9 - P

Perks:

Collective Memories - Vance has a hundreds of human lifetimes worth of memories bubbling just under the surface. Although calling upon useful memories and skills isn't instantaneous for him, given time he can become a temporary expert in just about any field. When not in combat or otherwise under extreme time pressure, Vance can roll his Intelligence in place of another stat, and can often recall information that others would need a library or database to obtain.

Demonic Crafting - Over the years, Vance has removed most of the demonic abilities granted by his father from his code. He choose to keep the ability to craft useful modules from the remains of fallen souls, as even the noble knight must kill from time to time, and it would be a pity to let a soul go to waste. Vance is best at creating weapons and armor; If he tries to create something particularly powerful or outside his area of expertise, he may require specific types of souls or even non-soul components. As he dislikes waste, Vance makes gear as often as possible, but is generous in distributing his modules to worthy soldiers he encounters in his travels.

Shining Reputation - Vance is a known protector of innocent souls and hunter of demons. In the civilized parts of cyberspace, all but the most paranoid leaders will welcome him into their political and military institutions, and (within reason) share resources and information to aid in his quests.

Unstable Collective - Vance has a dominant, primary, and original personality. But in his early days he would absorb souls and databases wholesale in his quest for knowledge about the demons and the humans they once were. A consequence of this is that his psudomatter holds many almost complete souls bubbling just beneath the surface. If his psudomatter takes substantial damage, there is a small chance one of these beings will be expelled from him as a fresh hapless soul in an an act of uncontrolled mitosis that can leave Vance stunned and weakened.

Code of Conduct - Vance is a noble and honorable soul, opposed to scummy and dishonorable behavior and always willing to help the innocent. He is willing to make exceptions for absorbing souls with demonic knowledge or using souls slain for just reasons as crafting materials, but beyond that if Vance is opposed to partaking in unknightly behavior. He does have a workaround, however. If circumstances dictate that he must do dirty work, he can let another (GM controled) personality take the reigns for a short while. These personalities are willing to do what is needed, and generally sympathetic towards Vance's goals, but beyond that Vance has no control over what they do until he wrestles control of his being back.

Skills: Melee Weapons, Crossbows, Heavy Armor, Military Organization, Coding, Courtly Manners, Demon Lore, History

Equipment:

CTRL-C, The Greatsword Module - In the old days, Vance would absorb souls and memories wholesale using a spell he has since discarded. He has now adopted CTRL-C as a safer and more humane to add memories to his being. CTRL-C copies and stores any code relating to demons or the humans who would become demons that it comes in contact with. Generally this simply borrows knowledge and memories from the people it stabs or touches, but it can also straight up copy spells used or invented by demons. Vance has the ability to safely and selectively add knowledge stored in the sword to his own being during his downtime.

The Greataxe Module of Rendering - Vance leans heavily upon Modules in combat, and thus has a constant need for concentrated Mana. The Greataxe of Rendering can 'produce' safely contained concentrated mana in combat by absorbing and converting psudeomatter and mana from objects that it strikes which contain both. Once enough concentrated mana is created, it is dispensed in the form of a power cell compatible with Vance's other modules from the axe's handle.

The Crossbow Module of Packet Injection - The weapon Vance uses when he wants something destroyed quickly. This crossbow launches mighty bolts of mana a great distance, but is quite costly to use.

Paladin Armor MKIV Module - Vance has used many different armors over the years. His current model is designed for travel and versatility. In addition to providing mundane physicals protection, when charged it provides magical defenses against spells and weapons of demonic origin (including those made by Vance's own demonic crafting techniques). When charged it also provides extra protection against the wraiths of the haunted woods and the draining effect of the dead cities.

Spells:

Heroic Might - Increases the damage of Vance or an ally so long as Vance can concentrate on the spell and the beneficiary does not commit ignoble acts.
Detect Module - All modules in Vance's field of view briefly glow a bright blue. If the module is demonic in origin, it instead glows bright red.
Call Weapon - An object or module intended to be used as a weapon that Vance can see flies harmlessly into his open hand. Can be used to attempt to disarm foes, or perform 'boomerang' throw attacks with his own melee weapons.

Description: A knight in armor of glowing white and gold. He wears a purple cape. His face is concealed behind a mask, but if revealed it shifts appearences constantly to reflect the many human persons and memories that now make him up.

Backstory: Vance was born in the early days of Cyberspace, when a powerful demon who retained strong memories of the old world tried to intentionally reincarnate his human son as a Soul. Vance himself is unsure how the procedure went wrong, as his original mind has few human memories; His best guess is that human son was a much better person than the father. But whatever happened, the soul created had no intention of ruling alongside a demon, and indeed found his 'father's' kind to be entirely repulsive.

Vance defected as soon as he could, and began to fight against his father and other demons. When the demons were banished, Vance became alarmed over how few souls worried about their eventual return. He made it his business to be prepared. To this end he has spent much of post-history wandering cyberspace, in search of memories to add to his being related to the demons and their human identities. Early on Vance was bad at modifying himself, and although his coding skills have improved considerably overtime, mistakes he made while assimilating memories in his youth has rendered his appearance, and to a lesser extent his mind, somewhat unstable. He is USUALLY a paragon of knighthood: kind, generous, brave, and noble. But his existence as a somewhat unstable collective of souls renders him prone to outbursts and unpredictable behavior.

These days, Vance is fairly secure in his accumulated knowledge of demons, and feels he has prepared himself for his return as best he can. He will still assimilate new relevant memories as he finds them, but he no longer seeks them out. Nowadays he bounces between the courts and capitals of cyberspace's nation-sates, investigating claims of demonic activity and helping prepare militias to deal with demons as a freelancer of sorts. He has just finished up investigating a claim of demonic activity in the Duchy of Blackdagger that turned out to be a false alarm, and is now looking for his next job.

ASCII representation: & (6 if & is not allowed for players)

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 02:45:11 pm »

I love finding things like this on forums, and it seems like it'd be fun to play.
Spoiler: Kernx303 (click to show/hide)
I was uncertain how to balance mana cost vs effect, so the sheet is far from final.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:24:30 am by VermilionSkies »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 02:49:24 pm »

Unicode allowed?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 05:50:13 pm »

PTW. Looks fun but I don't really have the time to manage a dedicated charsheet at the moment (mostly dropping in on SGs right now).

Still, nice setting and I hope this turns out great.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 12:03:16 am »

Unicode allowed?
Yes but only one of these characters (and not a blank square of course, and not &):

I love finding things like this on forums, and it seems like it'd be fun to play.
Spoiler: Kernx303 (click to show/hide)
I was uncertain how to balance mana cost vs effect, so the sheet is far from final.
Increase the cost of Copy/Paste quite a bit and it should be alright.

Name: Vance Demonson
Gender (optional): Primarily Male

Stats: 11 - S, 6 - D, 15 - I, 9 - P

Perks:

Collective Memories - Vance has a hundreds of human lifetimes worth of memories bubbling just under the surface. Although calling upon useful memories and skills isn't instantaneous for him, given time he can become a temporary expert in just about any field. When not in combat or otherwise under extreme time pressure, Vance can roll his Intelligence in place of another stat, and can often recall information that others would need a library or database to obtain.

Demonic Crafting - Over the years, Vance has removed most of the demonic abilities granted by his father from his code. He choose to keep the ability to craft useful modules from the remains of fallen souls, as even the noble knight must kill from time to time, and it would be a pity to let a soul go to waste. Vance is best at creating weapons and armor; If he tries to create something particularly powerful or outside his area of expertise, he may require specific types of souls or even non-soul components. As he dislikes waste, Vance makes gear as often as possible, but is generous in distributing his modules to worthy soldiers he encounters in his travels.

Shining Reputation - Vance is a known protector of innocent souls and hunter of demons. In the civilized parts of cyberspace, all but the most paranoid leaders will welcome him into their political and military institutions, and (within reason) share resources and information to aid in his quests.

Unstable Collective - Vance has a dominant, primary, and original personality. But in his early days he would absorb souls and databases wholesale in his quest for knowledge about the demons and the humans they once were. A consequence of this is that his psudomatter holds many almost complete souls bubbling just beneath the surface. If his psudomatter takes substantial damage, there is a small chance one of these beings will be expelled from him as a fresh hapless soul in an an act of uncontrolled mitosis that can leave Vance stunned and weakened.

Code of Conduct - Vance is a noble and honorable soul, opposed to scummy and dishonorable behavior and always willing to help the innocent. He is willing to make exceptions for absorbing souls with demonic knowledge or using souls slain for just reasons as crafting materials, but beyond that if Vance is opposed to partaking in unknightly behavior. He does have a workaround, however. If circumstances dictate that he must do dirty work, he can let another (GM controled) personality take the reigns for a short while. These personalities are willing to do what is needed, and generally sympathetic towards Vance's goals, but beyond that Vance has no control over what they do until he wrestles control of his being back.

Skills: Melee Weapons, Crossbows, Heavy Armor, Military Organization, Coding, Courtly Manners, Demon Lore, History

Equipment:

CTRL-C, The Greatsword Module - In the old days, Vance would absorb souls and memories wholesale using a spell he has since discarded. He has now adopted CTRL-C as a safer and more humane to add memories to his being. CTRL-C copies and stores any code relating to demons or the humans who would become demons that it comes in contact with. Generally this simply borrows knowledge and memories from the people it stabs or touches, but it can also straight up copy spells used or invented by demons. Vance has the ability to safely and selectively add knowledge stored in the sword to his own being during his downtime.

The Greataxe Module of Rendering - Vance leans heavily upon Modules in combat, and thus has a constant need for concentrated Mana. The Greataxe of Rendering can 'produce' safely contained concentrated mana in combat by absorbing and converting psudeomatter and mana from objects that it strikes which contain both. Once enough concentrated mana is created, it is dispensed in the form of a power cell compatible with Vance's other modules from the axe's handle.

The Crossbow Module of Packet Injection - The weapon Vance uses when he wants something destroyed quickly. This crossbow launches mighty bolts of mana a great distance, but is quite costly to use.

Paladin Armor MKIV Module - Vance has used many different armors over the years. His current model is designed for travel and versatility. In addition to providing mundane physicals protection, when charged it provides magical defenses against spells and weapons of demonic origin (including those made by Vance's own demonic crafting techniques). When charged it also provides extra protection against the wraiths of the haunted woods and the draining effect of the dead cities.

Spells:

Heroic Might - Increases the damage of Vance or an ally so long as Vance can concentrate on the spell and the beneficiary does not commit ignoble acts.
Detect Module - All modules in Vance's field of view briefly glow a bright blue. If the module is demonic in origin, it instead glows bright red.
Call Weapon - An object or module intended to be used as a weapon that Vance can see flies harmlessly into his open hand. Can be used to attempt to disarm foes, or perform 'boomerang' throw attacks with his own melee weapons.

Description: A knight in armor of glowing white and gold. He wears a purple cape. His face is concealed behind a mask, but if revealed it shifts appearences constantly to reflect the many human persons and memories that now make him up.

Backstory: Vance was born in the early days of Cyberspace, when a powerful demon who retained strong memories of the old world tried to intentionally reincarnate his human son as a Soul. Vance himself is unsure how the procedure went wrong, as his original mind has few human memories; His best guess is that human son was a much better person than the father. But whatever happened, the soul created had no intention of ruling alongside a demon, and indeed found his 'father's' kind to be entirely repulsive.

Vance defected as soon as he could, and began to fight against his father and other demons. When the demons were banished, Vance became alarmed over how few souls worried about their eventual return. He made it his business to be prepared. To this end he has spent much of post-history wandering cyberspace, in search of memories to add to his being related to the demons and their human identities. Early on Vance was bad at modifying himself, and although his coding skills have improved considerably overtime, mistakes he made while assimilating memories in his youth has rendered his appearance, and to a lesser extent his mind, somewhat unstable. He is USUALLY a paragon of knighthood: kind, generous, brave, and noble. But his existence as a somewhat unstable collective of souls renders him prone to outbursts and unpredictable behavior.

These days, Vance is fairly secure in his accumulated knowledge of demons, and feels he has prepared himself for his return as best he can. He will still assimilate new relevant memories as he finds them, but he no longer seeks them out. Nowadays he bounces between the courts and capitals of cyberspace's nation-sates, investigating claims of demonic activity and helping prepare militias to deal with demons as a freelancer of sorts. He has just finished up investigating a claim of demonic activity in the Duchy of Blackdagger that turned out to be a false alarm, and is now looking for his next job.

ASCII representation: & (6 if & is not allowed for players)
Yeah & is reserved for digital demons/other "bosses", so 6.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] Ashes of the Network Redux (ASCII+AI art) [3/4]
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 07:44:08 am »

An icky Troll, a Daemon Scion vessel with the hopes and dreams of humanity, and a curious collection of floating text walk into a Cyberbar. Shenanigans ensue. I almost hope our forth is 'Just some guy' who can really bind us together with their averageness.

EDIT: This could use a wee bump, I'd hate to see the concept go without a fight.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 06:29:00 am by Unraveller »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 11:01:40 am »

Bump. If nobody answers within 2 days I'll just start with 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 02:48:31 am »

Should have a cake princess within 24 hours.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 03:32:49 am »

Spoiler: Princess Caramella (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 05:45:31 am »

kk, starting tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I gotta finish up some notes and prepare for an IRL friend's birthday.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] Ashes of the Network Redux (ASCII+AI art) [4/4]
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 12:22:44 am »

No matter where the four of you came from, you are now here. While such a spontaneous meeting may have been unremarkable otherwise, each of you feels... something special about the other three people. Like a great destiny will await you soon...

But for now, perhaps it would be wise to introduce yourselves?

(Yes this is a short update, the others will be longer as it is just an introduction. I will try to update often in spite of having other projects offsite.)
Pages: [1] 2 3