Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves not crossing my custom river - depth 4  (Read 1760 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not crossing my custom river - depth 4
« on: October 10, 2022, 05:51:24 am »

I setup a custom river (depth 4 and 4 squares to cross) with a stockpile on the other side, but the dwarves are not trying to swim across.  There's a friendly stairway down and stairway up.   Would creating a special meeting room work?  Or will I be stuck having to trick them into swimming by using a retractable bridge ?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not crossing my custom river - depth 4
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 11:13:32 am »

it needs to be between 3 and 4 depth otherwise the dwarves wont even try. . IIRC

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 01:29:13 pm »

it needs to be between 3 and 4 depth otherwise the dwarves wont even try. . IIRC
It's mostly 4 depth, but there's some which are 3.    I read it needs to be 4 for the dwarves to learn swimming.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 01:45:04 pm »

Yes but at 4 they will not path through it. You need enough 3 that they can path through the area and some 4 to move around and teach them to swim.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 04:19:32 pm »

Yes but at 4 they will not path through it. You need enough 3 that they can path through the area and some 4 to move around and teach them to swim.
Thanks I will adjust my water levels.......  but can I modify some files in the game so the level 4 water tiles are treated the same as level 3 water tiles??   
Seems silly the dwarves naturally refuse to learn the basics of swimming(level_4 water depth). 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 11:12:07 pm by NTJedi »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 10:47:25 pm »

yeah you need at least the occasional gap in the 4/7 tiles. you can train enough swimming to prevent drowning by repeatedly filling enclosed chambers with stationed dwarves. otherwise, building said pit of 3/7 and 4/7 water in the center of your main hallway will train them very quickly. recommend making it only two tiles wide.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 01:25:33 am »

yeah you need at least the occasional gap in the 4/7 tiles. you can train enough swimming to prevent drowning by repeatedly filling enclosed chambers with stationed dwarves. otherwise, building said pit of 3/7 and 4/7 water in the center of your main hallway will train them very quickly. recommend making it only two tiles wide.
I have the most recent version of the game and no mods.   Setup crossing area as 4x4 where 80% of the tiles were 3/7 and 20% were 4/7... and the dwarves never crossed.  As soon as I reduced the water level for only 3/7 water tiles the dwarves began crossing. 

Does anyone know where to modify files in the game so the level 4 water tiles are treated the same as level 3 water tiles??   

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 04:15:55 pm »

Does anyone know where to modify files in the game so the level 4 water tiles are treated the same as level 3 water tiles??
Unfortunately that's a hard coded value.

Can you verify that they can cross that spot when there's no water at all?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 04:18:32 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 03:34:20 am »

Unfortunately that's a hard coded value.

Can you verify that they can cross that spot when there's no water at all?
   Yes, as soon as I reduced the water level for only 3/7 water tiles the dwarves began crossing.  So I'm sure no water works as well.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 02:05:21 pm »

you might be able to make the dwarves taller so that they cross 4 depth water just fine. but then they probably won't gain swimming skill.
it's well-documented that elves don't drown in 7 depth water.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 05:10:20 pm »

Consider mine carts and rollers. Dwarves train swimming even when they're riding a mine cart.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2022, 05:51:02 pm »

Make the river variable depth. 3-depth usually, but with "waves" of 4-depth periodically. Pressure plates and floodgates with a hallway randomiser should work. Then when dorfs are trekking through the water they will on occasion be hit with a wave and have to swim for it.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2022, 09:15:46 pm »

IIRC, somebody had a setup where screw pumps would wash dwarves off of a walkway.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 04:48:13 am »

I found it easier to assign everyone to squads and then station and lock them in a long corridor, flood it up to 4/7 deep and then unlock a hatch at the opposite end, then lock it when they get there and unlock the other one, make them swim back and forth through the water a few times. Remove them from squads when you're done.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 11:33:25 am »

you might be able to make the dwarves taller so that they cross 4 depth water just fine. but then they probably won't gain swimming skill.
it's well-documented that elves don't drown in 7 depth water.

Elves have literally no difference in height from dwarves, they're identical in proportions in the raws.

If it's "well-documented" it's by people who haven't played the game in 13 years if ever. Elves drown just like dwarves, and in fact have literally identical reaction to water as dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2