Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Newest Developments  (Read 1531 times)

Nobody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Newest Developments
« on: October 15, 2006, 01:53:00 am »

So, how many people are excited about the latest developments for dwarf mode! Yeah!

All Adventure mode needs is for the more detailed character generation and background to be added, and then it has me clinched forever.

Even if all I do forever is kill named monsters.

But, on to an actual question, is there a way to import old characters to new worlds? Even just their last names? I don't want to say goodbye to Ingish yet...

A HREF="http://www.adventuresofbrian.org<BR>">www.adventuresofbrian.org
 My Personal Exercise in Futility

"oh, but the knobby ends can all bite in yours, so it''s like... more advanced tentacle demons where they have lil mouths."
-Toady One

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: The Newest Developments
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 02:12:00 am »

I don't believe so; as characters come from civilizations and whatnot which are tied to the world.

Anyways, I am excited to see how the new clothing will work; because I want fingerless hobo gloves and long flowing coats and whatnot.

I am guessing they will effect how hot you get,  or prevent cold, and such.   Keeping you dry as well, maybe.  Fun stuff; very fun stuff.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »

Of course, programming those effects would take more time than the time I've spent just getting the basics in...  a slow grind as usual, laying groundwork and creating options for later additions.  I tried to support fingerless gloves for this round, but the way combat is coded the armor effects are a bit of a hassle.  So right now, I only have gloves and gauntlets, with the addition of mittens.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

How about bracers and shoulderguards ?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »

Are all of the new items added in just sorts of clothing, or are there eating utensils or other fun goodies coming our way?

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 06:35:00 pm »

You hit the kobold in the head with your +adamantine spoon+!
It is mangled!
You gouge out his right eye!
You gouge out his left eye!
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 12:29:00 am »

There's really nothing to this that has immediate practical effect...  it's the same type of clothing items, although they can cover a bit more or less.  They are still centered on the upper body/lower body/hands/head/feet, so there aren't any new location-specific worn items like armor pieces (the current "greaves" is a misnomer).  The importance was just to get inventories sorted out...  the system it was using was basically unchanged from 2002, and it was really starting to become cumbersome.  Still, it's good when you lose items that are chopped away, though having them remain on the severed limb will have to wait.  Eating with utensils for adv mode townies is part of the Future of the Fortress...  I looked at it briefly, but there were a few annoyances.

I did get the third toe on my left foot bruised today (in adventure mode).

Now I'm just going to get the dwarves thinking properly about clothing again and put it up.  I'm not sure how long it'll take, since I'm entering the work week again.

Nobody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 02:21:00 am »

What about the background detailed character generation stuff Toady? That's what I'm really eager about.

"oh, but the knobby ends can all bite in yours, so it''s like... more advanced tentacle demons where they have lil mouths."
-Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »

That's The Scenarios Arc, but it requires some more backing before we can do it properly.  I'd rather not invent backstories that couldn't actually happen in the game, so that it can properly place your character within the framework of whatever town they become a part of (if they do).  I usually don't like the interactive/question approach to character generation, but as an optional method here it should be good because the interaction will be generated based on the current world state.  The Play Now! option will forego those things, but since it still needs to situate you in the world and give you a backstory, it'll probably just answer the interaction itself.  I don't really have a problem allowing rolled-up/mysterious traveller with no background characters, but it probably won't be as interesting most of the time.

Nobody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »

Ah thank you very much! But... I do have to smirk a little at the relationships arc...Imagining those Dwarven Dating games. But you are an ambitious and great programmer, and incorporating the element of romance into legends is very necessary, and great of you to do so. Man, this project is massive. Here's wishing you the best of luck, and mightiest of staminas!

-Toady One

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »

Well I just got done reading up on the Arcs and whats planned for the game and im in awe. There is so much depth to imagine. Good luck Toady.

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 01:30:00 am »

A little bit about the new features. One thing I noticed tonight while playing were the new town guards. I decided to raid this town, and while doing so I noticed the guards werent only attacking me, they were attacking the human "...." such as swordsmen, bowmen, etc. It was quite strange at first. Is this supposed to happen?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:42:00 am »

They were attacking other random citizens?  Or were these buddies you brought?  They shouldn't be attacking the random citizens.  They normally get along.  Perhaps they had some issue and went into crime-stopper overdrive.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 07:49:00 am »

Very effective at preventing crime, though.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 10:22:00 am »

Well I havent played adventure mode in a while. There used to be countless recruitable people wandering around, but I could find none (maybe its because I used a pregen map). I decided to test out the new guards, they were pretty squishy, but they had bows and the like. Pretty dangerous afterall. I got a huge message that my upper body was pierced by a bolt,, but on second glance it was not me, it was a bowman or something. Turns out that the plain human and the guards attacked one of the people I was looking to recruit.

I reformed a new map this morning, and after searching 3 towns from top to bottom I could find nobody to recruit, what happened to them?

Pages: [1] 2