Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 71058 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 14, 2024, 08:08:30 am »

I've come to a bit of a realisation about transphobes who use say that trans people are just mentally ill.

Obviously it's a load of crap, or not entirely as a lot of trans people *are* mentally ill, just not in the way the transphobes mean (ie depression, anxiety and similar are common). But the point isn't that we're mentally ill, it's just that it's their way of justifying the idea that trans people don't actually exist.

However they say this then denigrate trans people, despite ostensibly thinking it's a mental health issue. This opens them up to an issue with their way of thinking: Either they don't think we're mentally ill and are just trying to be cruel, or they do and they treat mentally ill people exceptionally poorly which is a damning indictment of their character and understanding of how to deal with mental illness. If they actually thought that and were trying to be helpful, they'd treat us with misaimed compassion, but instead they treat us with derision and scorn.

Anyway, I've had to deal with a few transphobes online in case it wasn't obvious, it's frustrating but I wanted to share this little epiphany.

EDIT: I've moved my patches down to my thigh seeing as being on my belly had a habit of making them curl up, and holy shit does it get itchy if it's not in the exact right spot. I don't know what it is about my thigh that does that but it fucking sucks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 12:11:31 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 14, 2024, 09:48:51 pm »

Please do not quote

If it helps any, I can relate. I hope it helps at least.

The illness/mental illness thing is ... odd and historically weird. Of course you're right concerning many transphobia motivations. You just are right.
It sucks being considered sick/crazy just by being transgender, because for far too many mean people that's their insulting way to dehumanize us.
If transgender people have a higher instance of depression and anxiety, then I would bet it might be related to all the crap we are put through.

If there is any redeeming ... anything ... to being classified as a mental disorder, it would be arguing for insurance coverage and health protections.
DMS-IV TR and DSM V could at least in theory be used to try for insurance coverage. Some private insurers have been nicer about coverage due to that.
I mean, expensive treatment costs being covered is a good thing, but I can totally see not wanting to be stigmatized. HIPAA protections might help. etc.

As for my own experiences, I've seen the what I imagine to be all of the three types you mention: those who don't think we're actually mentally ill and are just trying to be cruel, those who just treat mental illness rather poorly, and the ones who think they're helpful but aren't/are hiding they are mean. I also imagine things have changed in ... 20 or 30 years as well.

I'm glad you (unless I'm wrong which I might be) appear to be able to transition. It's nice to see someone able to get that and I'm glad.

If nothing else I don't think it's quite as completely horrid as it used to be in all cases so... some improvement I hope? I almost posted one of those trigger warning things with a spoiler of a story of some not great transphobic abuse from my childhood, but I don't know if people want to read that and I'm not trying to distress anyone. I'm just glad that probably doesn't happen to others anymore or at least not as much. I still think it might be generally worse in rural areas than in cities but what do I know.

I am somewhat upset there were protestors at a gay wedding around here recently. It was only a couple of people but still. The couple wasn't trans I don't think, but rather two lesbians. I don't get it. The horses haven't started eating each other like they said would happen if gay people got married, and there are still some out there who just.... Hate it all the same?

Please do not quote
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 14, 2024, 10:20:51 pm »

For what it's worth, and as far as I'm aware, regarding depression/anxiety/etc. rates trans folks seem to basically have two states:

When they have appropriate care for the condition and general acceptance in the community they're in, incidence rates more or less normalize with the community in question. It doesn't zero out 'cause the only demographic with zero mental illness is the dead, but it largely normalizes.

When those things are lacking, incidence rates get jacked up pretty high.

It's basically, like. Yes, when you wildly and persistently abuse a demographic, up to and including denying medical care, they have high rates of your standard slate of mental illnesses. When you don't, they don't! It's a very "no shit, sherlock" kind of thing :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 15, 2024, 07:15:54 am »

And then you get transphobes dropping (Often incorrect) figures about transgender suicide rates, seemingly to mock us or say that conversion therapy's the solution ("Ignore the scientific community here, yes I'm on science's side which is why I ignore it when I dislike what it says").

I don't get them honestly. I understand on an intellectual level that we're different and these are often people who are scared of things that are different, or they desperately want something/one to look down on, or they follow some religion that tells them we're evil, but beyond the purely intellectual I just don't understand it at all.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 15, 2024, 05:13:22 pm »

However they say this then denigrate trans people, despite ostensibly thinking it's a mental health issue. This opens them up to an issue with their way of thinking: Either they don't think we're mentally ill and are just trying to be cruel, or they do and they treat mentally ill people exceptionally poorly which is a damning indictment of their character and understanding of how to deal with mental illness.

It is actually VERY simple. Their logic works like this:

Are you depressed? Make a decision and stop being depressed. They know it is easy because they are not depressed.

Do you have severe claustrophobia? Make a decision and stop being afraid of closed spaces. They know it is easy because they are not afraid of closed spaces.

Do you have an addiction? Make a decision and stop doing it. They know it is easy because they don't have that addiction.

And so on. Being trans is just one more on their list.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 15, 2024, 07:46:34 pm »

I've dealt with them enough to know that nine times out of ten they hate trans people. There's no actual logic to the argument, it's just a way of providing a veneer of legitimacy to their hatred.

You do sometimes come across the ones who actually think it's a mental illness though, so I always start off with education on the matter. If they reflexively attack that, then they're pretty much guaranteed to be a transphobe and digging into their online history shows it.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 16, 2024, 06:26:13 pm »

I've dealt with them enough to know that nine times out of ten they hate trans people. There's no actual logic to the argument, it's just a way of providing a veneer of legitimacy to their hatred.

Yea. It is just a way for them to feel more important and greater than someone else. The very act itself has no higher purpose. Even if they claim as such.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]