Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 71433 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #540 on: March 26, 2023, 01:48:52 pm »

Yay! Israel's right wing media is stocking the flames of transphobia! we are like the US or UK!

Kinda surprised they did that actually, thought they would be busy trying to defend the not so popular attempt of takeover by the elected government, but that multitasking for you.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2023, 04:05:31 pm »

Uh, stay safe down there Rockeater.

Also damn I was really hoping that the media transphobia wouldn't spread/get more pooular.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2023, 04:14:23 pm »

Yay! Israel's right wing media is stocking the flames of transphobia! we are like the US or UK!

Kinda surprised they did that actually, thought they would be busy trying to defend the not so popular attempt of takeover by the elected government, but that multitasking for you.

They are defending the attempted takeover. By focusing on something else.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2023, 07:20:23 pm »

Wish I could say I'm surprised but Israel's right-wing is, rather ironically, pretty damn fascist.

Stay safe.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 27, 2023, 03:10:59 pm »

I need to stop using Tumblr because I enjoy the bullshittery but there is no escape from the awful news of awful things happening around the world especially to queer people and it is well meaning but by God is it exhausting
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 28, 2023, 06:53:59 am »

I need to stop using Tumblr because I enjoy the bullshittery but there is no escape from the awful news of awful things happening around the world especially to queer people and it is well meaning but by God is it exhausting

Well isn't that the truth. LGBT getting killed here, banned there. It never ends.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 30, 2023, 10:31:43 am »

The Dutch Association for Psychiatry (NVvP) came with a statement in their yearly congress, attended by 3800 psychiatrists.
In the statement, they expressed regret for the way that their profession has treated LGBTQ+ in the past.
Until late in the last century, LGBTQ+ were declared mentally ill (homosexuality was considered a mental disorder in our psychiatrists' handbooks up until 1973) and had to undergo horrible treatment, like castration.
The statement acknowledges that this has caused terrible harm to the persons involved.
The association hopes that their statement will support people who are coping with trauma.

This is the first time than an entire profession group explicitly expresses regret to the LGBTQ+ community.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 30, 2023, 11:04:48 am »

link?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 30, 2023, 02:33:27 pm »

1973 was the year the DSM III stopped listing homosexuality as a mental disorder in the US, so the event was not very specific to the Dutch, for context.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 30, 2023, 02:35:54 pm »

Random question: how is rib count size addressed?

EDIT: I could've sworn I saw even in earlier medical texts some difference in ribs (I mean it's trivial to count ribs, yeah?), but now all I can find is, no, everyone1 has 24 ribs.

Apparently the difference is that the last pair of floating ribs in women is smaller and was mistaken as being missing / perpetuated as a missing rib.

1Except for some genetic anomalies, apparently as much as 0.5% of the population (which is a large absolute number!).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 03:12:13 pm by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 30, 2023, 03:00:00 pm »

I'm... not sure why it'd be relevant? Folks of all chromosomes end up with irregular numbers of ribs, and even non-LGBT folks occasionally get some removed for reasons varied. Rib count isn't strictly indicative of much of anything on its own.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 30, 2023, 03:22:14 pm »

I'm... not sure why it'd be relevant? Folks of all chromosomes end up with irregular numbers of ribs, and even non-LGBT folks occasionally get some removed for reasons varied. Rib count isn't strictly indicative of much of anything on its own.

Mostly wondering about how HRT would impact (if at all) bone structure, especially post puberty. Not just ribs, but hips, etc.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 30, 2023, 03:54:34 pm »

It can affect bone structure, iirc. Quick double-check confirms it. Exactly how and to what extent depends on what's involved with the specific individual. Depends primarily on what hormones are involved and when they're applied, near as I can tell.

Hormone therapy can do that even when it's being used for reasons other than gender affirming care, for that matter. Estrogen can strengthen bones, ferex, and is part of some contraceptive methods or menopause treatment. HRT's just one use of hormones out of several, and it's not like being used for something else somehow magically makes it function differently, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 30, 2023, 04:27:28 pm »

Incidentally, the "rib" from Genesis is a Greek translation from the prior original/intermediate word that appears elsewhere in the bible, but in no other case have these examples been treated as "rib".

Generally, it narratively relates to an element (to buildings, etc) that sticks out prominently. One idea, therefore, is that it should have been the penis-bone. Which many mammals have, but man lacks. Because Adam's was removed from him, for the purposes of creating Eve, being the suggestion.

(And because God was heavily into Lamarckism, rather than being a Darwinian, in those early days. Though it's clear He has definitely changed His mind about that since.)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71