Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 54197 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2022, 04:18:18 pm »

Tir spotted!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2022, 12:18:39 am »

Forumite used transition!

It's super effective!

Tiruin fainted.

Got ₽158

Sent ₽79 to mom
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2022, 10:59:31 am »

Ah, a GSC gal! I don't recall Mom saving money for you ever coming back after Gen 2. And that prize money- that'd make Tir part of a Bug Catcher's team or an encounter in Pokemon Crater, ehehe.

Anyways, posting to show solidarity! I'm still not comfortable enough in my own skin to definitively consider myself bi (or find out to the contrary), but I'll stand by you any day.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2022, 11:24:00 am »

I don't think Tir would catch Spinaraks IIRC :P

GSC is still my favorite too!  I like to plug the Crystal Clear romhack when I can.  It makes all pokemon catcheable, gym leaders re-challengeable, and has a ton of aesthetic and QoL improvements.  The legendaries like Celebi or Mew have scripted quests.  And the Pokedex!!  You don't have to use a guide because the Pokedex will tell you how to get something once you've spotted it!

Rechallenging Bugsy or Falkner with 15 badges is fuuun~  There's sometimes "environmental storytelling" there, like what Morty gets IIRC.

Anyway the hack's discord is very LGBTQ+ friendly, and the mod freely lets you be male/female/neither with any of like a dozen portraits (or splice in a custom one), so yeah :D

oh wow I very nearly forgot my "antidepressants" this morning, DST's throwing me off.  I'm glad I finally got this pill case, particularly with me going on a trip this week!!

When I get back I'm having my 6 month bloodwork done.  It was really strange switching to daily sublingual rather than weekly subQ.  I enjoyed the hormone peaks, and the troughs weren't so bad after my first prescription adjustment.  But it's probably healthier having it at a smooth background rate.  My chest stopped hurting which made me worried that it wasn't working, but apparently that was just the growth of buds.  Biology is so coooool!!  And while they're still invisible in my usual baggy shirts, I measured 2.5" band-to-bust last night which scientifically means that I am, in fact, making progress :D 
like, that's actually more than a lot of people grow without assistance, particularly at my weight level.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2022, 01:06:54 pm »

It's wild knowing that you're programmed to be both a boy and a girl, and it's just a matter of a single hormone that determines which set of genes is active.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2022, 02:29:36 pm »

It's wild knowing that you're programmed to be both a boy and a girl, and it's just a matter of a single hormone that determines which set of genes is active.

Take a look sequential hermaphrodites. Mostly a fish and amphibian thing, mostly because genitalia get more complicated and energy intensive to keep and adjust when you leave the water, but very interesting when you think about the implications it has for vertebrate biology in general.

Easiest example to work with is clownfish, like Nemo. All clownfish hatch male, they only become female through a shift in hormones that occurs when there is no female in the area, such as after a barracuda attack. Like Nemo. :P

It's a one way transition, and only the biggest most dominant male does it, becoming the new alpha female of the school. When she dies, the next male takes their turn becoming a female and the new boss.

IIRC it's also common among wrasse, which can be pretty big depending on species, and there's evidence of it in frogs, but that can be hard to find among the reports of frogs being turned into hermaphrodites when exposed to pesticides.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2022, 02:46:58 pm »

Oh yeah, loads of animals do sequential hermaphroditism. Although I have to say my favourite thing is aquatic flatworms. They're just full hermaphrodites, so they do penis fencing and whoever gets impregnated first becomes the mother and the father swims off.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2022, 03:02:54 pm »

It does make a lot of sense to me that the main difference for us would come from just hormones. The X/Y chromosome is tiny, and just about everything else is the same. Every father needs to have half the genes to make a daughter and every mother needs half the genes to make a son, after all. A randomly selected half of your genome, so of course you already have all the genes you'd really need to make an opposite sex clone of yourself!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2022, 03:03:59 pm »

So I need to make a female clone of myself, and they'll transition into being male, and then we're off to the races.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2022, 03:04:39 pm »

Perfectly balanced as all things should be.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2022, 03:10:54 pm »

Wait I didn't think I posted that dream What an interesting idea
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2022, 04:04:44 pm »

Oh yeah, loads of animals do sequential hermaphroditism. Although I have to say my favourite thing is aquatic flatworms. They're just full hermaphrodites, so they do penis fencing and whoever gets impregnated first becomes the mother and the father swims off.

Personal favorite simultaneous hermaphrodite is land snails. Granted it's because of a trait all land snails have, including the non-hermaphroditic ones.

Love darts.

I find it absolutely hilarious that snails have to shoot each other in the head with what is essentially a bone spear they grow next to their penis in order to successfully mate.

On the idea of making a healthy male/female clone/offspring with just your own DNA, technically possible, biologically unwise. That said parthenogenetic reproduction works for some animals, and that's the same idea.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2022, 08:01:20 pm »

Works better with W/Z sex chromosomes (e.g. komodo dragons) where ZZ=male, WZ=female, and thus a lone female can parthenogetically create ZZs (also WWs, but nonviable) to at least get things moving without waiting for unrelated males to get stranded in the sams ecological backwater.

X/Y tends to strand you in XX-only totally female lineage, if you crack the virgin-birth bit.

But X/Y is basically a mammalian thing. W/Z is in many other things (crustaceans, etc), then there's haplodiploidal systems like XO and ZO (one X, or Z is one gender, two of that is the other; it may depend upon fertilisation to provide the bonus copy) or ignore all that and activate the desired sexual dimorphism by the temperature range the eggs is subjected to or other environmental factors.

(Or, indeed, the post-developmental switching from the default "born as" to whatever your species finds works best to fill in the gaps, there being both MtF and FtM lifecycles (for the oldest/largest creature, or maybe just the first to detect a paucity of the endgame-gender so unsuppresses the necessary hormones) as well as fully bidirectionally genderfluid in the ways already described.)

But not sure how close we could be to Usula le Guin's version of humanity (or subset of it) in LHoD.

Perhaps we could hope for merely an "it does not socially matter what gender you are, c.f.  Ann Leckie's set of Ancillary books. The imperial Radchaai, at least... The society in Provenance merely delay setting a person's assigned gender in stone until they make a choice to be 'adult', IIRC, but are still not hung up on things that much. And, the fictional universe references all kinds of variations between ostensibly-human societies (never mind the Presgers).

...right, so a bit of obscure RL biology and a bit of an obscure book reviewing (or at least recounting, but I would in general recommend Leckie's works[1]). Hopefully you don't mind my sticking those two oars in again. Looks like a bit of a diversion, but meant it all to be informatvely relevent.

[1] At least for people who don't froth at the mouth at suggestions of genderfluidity... basically SF books with an interesting societal backstory to the setting, nothing 'lewd' and direct (relationships seem to be Discworld Dwarven in nature, and progeny clearly happen but might well be adopted if necessary, or similar) but you know how some people might decide to take offence at the mere idea. Not the kind of people who would calmly participate in this thread, however, so probably no worries there.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2022, 11:27:02 pm »

On the idea of making a healthy male/female clone/offspring with just your own DNA, technically possible, biologically unwise. That said parthenogenetic reproduction works for some animals, and that's the same idea.
It's unwise long-term because of diseases exploiting any flaws you have in your immune system. There could be some recessive diseases that'd crop up due to the way meiosis works* if you're a carrier, but if not you'd be fine in the short run.

But we're in a situation with a trans man and a trans woman, so reproduction's hardly an issue.

*Not only is the chromosome in the gamete randomly selected, the genes will swap across from one chromosome to the other. If one chromosome had the genes that controlled hair colour and eye colour, and you had one chromosome programming ginger hair and blue eyes and another programming blonde hair and green eyes, your hypothetical hyper-inbreeding child could wing up having ginger hair and green eyes despite neither chromosome coding for that combination.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2022, 10:27:50 am »

"Unless you're built like Vegeta"

JOCKEYS RISE UP
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70