Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 71

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 71290 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 17, 2023, 02:08:11 am »

You have my old man nod of approval, that's the spirit
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 18, 2023, 05:24:42 am »

Nope, end result of "Look, it's your fault that our product is shit, you should have known better. Please order with us again and ask for a custom size, that'll fix the issues!"

Unfortunately, there's not a lot I could do. If they were UK-based I'd be able to take them to small claims but that ain't happening and it's probably not worth the effort if I could. I'll just have to be content with warding away any potential customers.

EDIT: I've found another method of attack.

Tried them on (And holy fuck are they uncomfortable. The material's bad enough, but the stitching is stiff and digs in all around the groin area), and noticed that they don't actually sit like boyshorts.

Seems they sent me the wrong product. I did a bit of examining and comparison, and I'm 95% sure they're actually hipster briefs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:31:28 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 23, 2023, 06:34:17 pm »

So all that kerfuffle and...

They're willing to send the right product. No refunds. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Fuck it, I'll take them up on that. At least it costs them more and I can find some place to donate them to. I'll take some petty revenge over nothing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 24, 2023, 09:27:01 am »

Do it!
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 25, 2023, 03:44:06 am »

What's that quote from CS Lewis?  Ah yes:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

I am framing this and hanging it somewhere conspicuous in my home
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 08, 2023, 03:50:13 pm »

I'm stressed out. I'm doing a little better than I was before after having a big crash-and-burn mental breakdown. However, I had planned to become a research mathematician and with the present legal slide the way it is and the need to develop a national reputation, it genuinely feels as though within five short months the career I've been working towards for the past lifetime is all gone. It's not gone due to my incompetence or stupidity; or lack of discipline; or unsuitability; or lack of skill; it's gone because a bunch of fucks wanted political power and decided that people like me should have no access to public life.

OK, assholes. You demolished one of your own country's best and brightest after decades of very expensive training and education. Good fucking work.

I don't know whether I should become depressed or what. I can finish my degree and move to a safe city in California and find some kind of work, maybe even pretty satisfying work, but with my PTSD DX I've seen online that I wouldn't even be able to get the most basic security clearance. So realistically, I'm going to be working in education until they force me out, and then after that I'd be code monkeying. Or digging ditches, I don't give a shit.

I'm writing about this here because I want people to understand that the current situation is affecting people you know well in direct and unambiguous ways. Hi lurkers o/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 08, 2023, 04:12:53 pm »

I've heard bits and pieces about America's slide, but mostly revolving around 'protect the children.' Are they attacking adults' jobs now?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 08, 2023, 04:31:06 pm »

I've heard bits and pieces about America's slide, but mostly revolving around 'protect the children.' Are they attacking adults' jobs now?
Yeah. Conservative states are eliminating Tenure to silence teachers and professors. They've also been organizing Parent Mobs to lobby school boards against anything progressive.
Vector couldn't get a job in Florida and be themselves, for instance.

California and NY are fairly safe, but safety is relative and subjective.  Both states now have expanded their State-funded Colleges to the point that private colleges are slowly but surely going out of business, unless they advertise aggressively as ultra-conservative.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 08, 2023, 04:40:32 pm »

There's that one trans (state?) representative they kicked out of congress.  Can't even rep her dudes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 08, 2023, 05:57:21 pm »

Yeah. Conservative states are eliminating Tenure to silence teachers and professors. They've also been organizing Parent Mobs to lobby school boards against anything progressive.
Vector couldn't get a job in Florida and be themselves, for instance.

California and NY are fairly safe, but safety is relative and subjective.  Both states now have expanded their State-funded Colleges to the point that private colleges are slowly but surely going out of business, unless they advertise aggressively as ultra-conservative.
Can you elaborate, what is this 'America's slide' and why/how Vector would be affected in finding jobs in the exact science math department?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 07:21:55 pm by jipehog »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 08, 2023, 08:08:30 pm »

Basically a bunch of hyper-conservatives in power, and mob rule, violating protected class protections without penalty, in this case especially against nonbinary folks.

Basically “we don’t like your kind around here, good luck finding a job” stuff again. History repeating before our eyes.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 08, 2023, 08:22:47 pm »

Can you be more specific, because for the past decade I have heard first hand accounts of different things from someone within the system and I wouldn't call her hyper-conservative.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 08:39:33 pm by jipehog »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 08, 2023, 08:35:39 pm »

I think he's saying that Vec (Don't actually know their preferred pronouns so I'll stick to gender neutral for now), being NB, is in danger in any conservative (or hyper-conservative) state at this point since they're basically waging open warfare against gender minorities by restricting their access to jobs, treatment etc. etc.

And while NY or Cali or some other liberal state might be safe at the moment, the only private institutions are ultra-conservative (And thus unsafe) and if a Rep government gets power there or wins a national election then the public institutions are seriously at risk of also becoming unsafe. So nowhere to go after that.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 08, 2023, 10:18:12 pm »

Ok, but even private universities in the US are by-and-large nowhere near ultraconservative, other than those few weird ones started by the evangelical right. University towns are often considered to be where the liberals are concentrating in most regions, for example the Research Triangle in North Carolina which is driving the liberal shift of the traditionally Republican state.

I can assure you that the "woke liberal" strongholds like where I live, San Francisco, are only becoming more pro-trans. Your view of the country as a whole may be clouded by your local area. Come here, it's great.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 08, 2023, 11:39:46 pm »

Other than the rampant crime wave, I think NY is reasonably safe for trans.  They're basically a protected class.
But then again, rampant crime wave.

But yeah, we're fairly short on job openings in Education. To be clear, I found only 27 jobs for math professors in the majority of New York (200 miles of New York City), and most were adjunct positions.

I had a good friend die as an unemployed adjunct professor.  It's not as dark as it sounds, he was old and he drank, it was his poor health and not unemployment that did him in. And he seemed happy enough, having a good run in education previously along with other hobbies to keep him busy.
But we don't have work in NY, sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 71