Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Legacy - Battlefield 2  (Read 7328 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Legacy - Battlefield 2
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2022, 01:49:22 pm »

Correction: Evil Roomba actually takes 2 damage, not 6. It still dies.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2022, 02:01:47 pm »

... That Gift is also overpowered. In what world is gaining 8 stars off a quickplay fair?

Forfeit. Also, Ban Generous Gift. (Where in the world did that card come from?)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2022, 02:11:01 pm »

... That Gift is also overpowered. In what world is gaining 8 stars off a quickplay fair?

Forfeit. Also, Ban Generous Gift. (Where in the world did that card come from?)
Aw, but it's funny—and it is capped to 6 stars. Would you be willing to send it for review instead? I agree that Quickplay is a bit much, but if it dropped that (and maybe capped at 5 stars instead of 10 or, alternatively, capped at 7 or 8 stars but cost 3 to prevent a player from ramping up with it too quickly), I think it'd be balanced with other stargen cards like Divine Lambiture. It's very bricky, since you need both Generous Gift and a pricy, preferably useless card to pass off: I drew into two Unlimited Maid Works before I got Generous Gift, and they were complete dead weight until I actually got to play it. Anyway, that's my passionate defense of a card I think is balanceable and hilarious, but the final decision is obviously up to you.

Also, I think this goes to show that random decks don't have much of a shot against fixed ones. It isn't just that their cards aren't guaranteed to synergize at all—it's that they're lower-powered and won't include busted universal support cards like Verdant Growth and Grand Canyon. If I hadn't gotten Verdant Growth (or Call of the Grave, or Wail of the Banshee...), Generous Gift might've been blasted by Evil Roomba or something.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2022, 02:25:02 pm »

Say hi to one of my draws. I could take being beaten by you. But a quickplay 6 star boost that has next to no drawback earlygame? Not least of all when you give an archetype card as the gift. It had no business being a quickplay.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2022, 02:51:17 pm »

Elephant Parade Wins The Bout

(Dunno why, but I've tended to be way too generous with new star gen cards. Good job the tournament is self-balancing...)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2022, 02:57:26 pm »

(Did you have to send me up against them next.) Reason I wanted the extra stars. And now I know why they declined. (As a note, Quickplay Star Gen example: Summer Star Maiden. 1 star quickplay that can get you +2 stars. This gift is a 0 star with no randomness that rewards higher cost gifts that your foe can't play.)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2022, 03:04:09 pm »

(Did you have to send me up against them next.) Reason I wanted the extra stars. And now I know why they declined. (As a note, Quickplay Star Gen example: Summer Star Maiden. 1 star quickplay that can get you +2 stars. This gift is a 0 star with no randomness that rewards higher cost gifts that your foe can't play.)

I don't think you have any right to complain about other player's star gains in this game >_>
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2022, 03:04:35 pm »

Say hi to one of my draws. I could take being beaten by you. But a quickplay 6 star boost that has next to no drawback earlygame? Not least of all when you give an archetype card as the gift. It had no business being a quickplay.
I'm repeating myself a bit, but the drawback is that you have to have a card that costs 6+ stars in your hand, which means you have to put a bunch of useless or niche 6+ star cards in your deck, which means you're liable to draw into them when you could've had something more useful instead.

Let's examine what might've happened if I'd used a different stargen engine instead. Say that instead of two Unlimited Maid Works and a Generous Gift, I'd drawn...

Three Grand Canyons: I'd have gotten one star for each of these, plus another card, plus the possibility of playing Grand Canyon itself. So I'm down three stars, but up six cards. (I did include Grand Canyon in my deck, but only at 4 and I never actually drew it, so the point stands: as stargen goes, it's on par with Generous Gift.)

Divine Lambiture: Playing these would've given me one, then two, then three Sacrificial Numbers of the Lamb, each a 0/1 blocker that grants a star upon death. That comes out to six stars—but I'd have gotten the first three stars earlier, since I wouldn't have had to wait for Generous Gift to enter my hand. And since they're on-discard cards, I could've used them as Call of the Grave fuel for an extra 0.75 cards, 0.75 draws, 1.5 damage, and 0.75 forced discards. Factor in the blockers and Divine Lambiture easily beats Generous Gift here.

I'm not saying Grand Canyon and Divine Lambiture aren't overpowered—they are. But with over 400 cards to choose from, there is a vast wealth of overpowered stargen available. New stargen cards have to be fairly strong or there's no reason to play them over the myriad stargen options that already exist.

I know it's a bit unusual to argue in a card's defense like this, but I'm a little attached to Generous Gift because of how entertaining I find the effect. Anyway, if it gets banned, I'll just switch to Divine Lambiture or a different overpowered stargen card and my deck will be more consistent for it—but alas, much less funny. I had the perfect card to gift to Stirk, too.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2022, 03:14:31 pm »

I don't think you have any right to complain about other player's star gains in this game >_>
I point out I drew my entire freaking deck. I'm allowed to be ridiculous, and the numbers are a build up, not instant 6 stars. (And their previous form was mostly me taking advantage of star gen cards other than themselves. Which have since been either reviewed or banned.)

Just that this was a card from nowhere in a deck that doesn't have the generation to deal with instant 6.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2022, 03:16:28 pm »

I point out I drew my entire freaking deck. I'm allowed to be ridiculous, and the numbers are a build up, not instant 6 stars. (And their previous form was mostly me taking advantage of star gen cards other than themselves. Which have since been either reviewed or banned.)

Just that this was a card from nowhere in a deck that doesn't have the generation to deal with instant 6.

I'm not sure why you think having other broken cards means you have more right to complain lol

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2022, 03:25:53 pm »

No, I declined for the reason I said I declined: beginning with extra stars and cards benefits the first player to a degree that just isn't fair. If I based my decision on my own self-interest, I'd have accepted: the stars would've kept my deck afloat until Generous Gift came online, which took a painfully long time (and could've taken much longer—I ran it at four!).

Seriously, even two stars would've let me play Resurrection Man on turn one. That would've been huge.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 03:27:31 pm by Elephant Parade »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2022, 03:30:27 pm »

Seriously, even two stars would've let me play Resurrection Man on turn one. That would've been huge.

Big Bang:
Fox:
Mega Tank:
Tentacle Kitty:
Lesser Wyvern:

Not so sure about that..

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2022, 03:32:50 pm »

Big Bang:
Fox:
Mega Tank:
Tentacle Kitty:
Lesser Wyvern:

Not so sure about that..

To be fair if you weren't cheating and couldn't see the top of your deck you would be even less sure about that  :-\

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2022, 03:46:29 pm »

Not so sure about that..
I think it would've given me the win, actually—I could've exiled a bunch of cards for stars, played Unlimited Maid Works to fetch Battleship Maid, and blasted you with direct damage until you died.

But wait, if those were your next five cards, then why did you resign? You could've drawn Big Bang, let me kill your beehive, drawn Fox, then played Big Bang for Mega Tank and Lesser Wyvern. Unless I had a counter—which I didn't—I wouldn't have been able to take out either on my own turn, leaving you to blast Frankie with the Mega Tank and gain a massive field advantage.

By the way, did you see my other post comparing Generous Gift to other stargen options? This isn't a DEBATE ME demand; I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it.

To be fair if you weren't cheating and couldn't see the top of your deck you would be even less sure about that  :-\
I explicitly made "your draw pile is visible" a rule for the match, so it wasn't cheating.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2022, 03:50:34 pm »

To be fair, Fox was in my starting hand.

And yeah, Battleships are a thing. Well, gg. (Go beat strik up. And I do have a sorta OP card in the works from last design phase.)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17