Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Legacy - Battlefield 1  (Read 5167 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
CYOGTCG Legacy - Battlefield 1
« on: October 07, 2022, 05:46:16 pm »

This is the first battlefield for the CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament.

Supernerd vs Stirk

Stirk wins the flip and will go first. Before you commence, you are allowed to make any agreements about alternative hand size or starting stars or hearts.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Legacy - Battlefield 1
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 05:54:56 pm »

"I'm fine sticking with the classics. Or down for anything if you wanna change it up. I just feel weird playing one of these when I'm not a character."

Stirk was confused, talking to himself behind a computer screen.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 06:30:18 pm »

Standard game rules work for me.

Actually wait! We should add one extremely pointless arbitrary rule that won't be relevant in 99.9999% of situations. How about: "No more than 9,001 cards may be played in a single turn"? (This does not replace the standard one card per turn limit, but is in addition to that, thus being almost certainly entirely pointless.)

If you agree to either that or standard rules, go ahead and say so, and make your first move!
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 06:43:55 pm »

Standard game rules work for me.

Actually wait! We should add one extremely pointless arbitrary rule that won't be relevant in 99.9999% of situations. How about: "No more than 9,001 cards may be played in a single turn"? (This does not replace the standard one card per turn limit, but is in addition to that, thus being almost certainly entirely pointless.)

If you agree to either that or standard rules, go ahead and say so, and make your first move!

Well that rule ruins my True Unlimited Maid Works card, but I'll agree to it on principle. GAME START! FIGHT!

Now BEHOLD THE EVOLUTION OF THE WAIFU CARD! THE UNBEATABLE MAIDS!

"I play my ultimate Star Generator allowing me to show off my hand!"

"Truly the Maid cards are the strongest in the world. Like Fail I am sorry that you have to go up against its unlimited power."

Stirk: 20 Hearts, 5 Stars
Field: Empty
Discard: Star Maids

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 06:46:51 pm »

I forfeit.

After I ban Star Maids, I will also quit the entire tournament.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 06:49:38 pm »

Good game V_V

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 06:53:38 pm »

Not ideal. I think being inundated with dozens of cards to make/balance, some dumb choices slipped through (like that card— what was I thinking?), but I think the majority of cards are solid. Please do consider playing in future matches.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 07:01:40 pm »

A card that you can discard from your hand instead of playing to nuke the field is also on the ridiculous side even if it didn't have any other functions.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 07:03:35 pm »

A card that you can discard from your hand instead of playing to nuke the field is also on the ridiculous side even if it didn't have any other functions.

To be fair to me the format incentivizes making OP cards and letting the GM nerf them, since they're more likely to make strong cards weaker than weak cards stronger. Same strategy that has been giving Tric headaches.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 07:23:49 pm »

I suppose, it's easier if players just make fair cards to begin with. Still, let's see if this can be self-fixing as intended: the other players can go ahead and ban anything outright broken, so a cheap win is likely offset by having a heavily nerfed deck going forward.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 11:15:13 am »

Being honest, I could actually beat that hand.

Also the obvious bit to do is make the battleship and star maid cards rare. Strik just makes insane things, and up to the GM to alter them. I just gave NQT a one word to go with each card and flavor text. And stats, obviously.

Yeah, NQT mind if I step into play instead of Supernerd?

To be fair to me the format incentivizes making OP cards and letting the GM nerf them, since they're more likely to make strong cards weaker than weak cards stronger. Same strategy that has been giving Tric headaches.

Yeah, I figured that out after a few design phases. You can see it in Olden Plains Windmill since that card was supposed to gen it's own stars. I even put that in the Metadata. Instead cause it wasn't in the effect, we got what you see today, a wall that self-destructs and does nothing else, not even block. Storm Cell, meanwhile, is the result of a nerf, hence it's Delay..

To be fair to the windmill, it not blocking was in the original effect. But that's was mostly to offset it's delay cost and 3 star Hearts.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 12:00:20 pm by TricMagic »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 03:53:52 pm »

Being honest, I could actually beat that hand.

Also the obvious bit to do is make the battleship and star maid cards rare. Strik just makes insane things, and up to the GM to alter them. I just gave NQT a one word to go with each card and flavor text. And stats, obviously.

Yeah, NQT mind if I step into play instead of Supernerd?

Yeah, I figured that out after a few design phases. You can see it in Olden Plains Windmill since that card was supposed to gen it's own stars. I even put that in the Metadata. Instead cause it wasn't in the effect, we got what you see today, a wall that self-destructs and does nothing else, not even block. Storm Cell, meanwhile, is the result of a nerf, hence it's Delay..

To be fair to the windmill, it not blocking was in the original effect. But that's was mostly to offset it's delay cost and 3 star Hearts.

Why did you put the Windmill in your deck if you knew it was useless?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 04:06:18 pm »

At the moment our only form of starting gen was that bright yellow star, and the region supported it's play. Now we've got two alternate forms of starting generation instead.

Also, I still want to step in for Supernerd and beat your broken cards like a drum.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 05:51:55 pm »

Bout 2

TricMagic vs Stirk

Stirk wins the toss and so will play first. The timer for this battle won't start until Stirk begins (as new cards may be being designed). Players may opt for alternative rules, including initial card, heart or star values, or (new option) deck count.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:21:01 pm by notquitethere »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 08:00:40 pm »

"This one will presumably just be as easy as my last one. Good game!"

"If this was my other deck I'd have 5 stars and you'd probably just surrender when you saw my hand, so count yourself lucky."

Stirk
Hearts 20 Stars 1
Field: Celestial Maid Boy
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:04:25 pm by Stirk »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8