Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 113

Author Topic: FBYOR 5 - Game Over - Learning From Disaster, As All Ends In Fire And Darkness  (Read 58324 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 5 (14 / 14) - Day 1 - The Game Begins, Every Drake In Their Place
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2022, 08:56:56 pm »

I'm working on a post but I'm tempted to abandon it and go play Noita and watch anime instead.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2022, 09:46:27 pm »

@NJW2000: I am flattered that my presence was so inconspicuous I passed for a non-person. I wouldn't mind if you continued thinking so for the rest of the game
That's Jim Groovester. We're not similar, but he has been unobtrusive this game, so I forgive you.
Ugh my bad. I can't read...

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2022, 09:51:19 pm »

I'm working on a post but I'm tempted to abandon it and go play Noita and watch anime instead.
Ok, Jim is town.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2022, 09:55:21 pm »

ha ha Jim is dumb

:|

:(

:'(

Jim Groovester, who are your scumbuddies?

You.

@Max I do want to hear a bit more from you. Does anything stand out to you at the moment? Is there anything anyone has said that you want to look into more?

I'm gonna go ahead and tell everyone that I have no night actions, however my actions can still affect the night phase.

The previous post I didn't have much opinion about but I like this follow-up, since it demonstrates more than a superficial interest in the game state.

But, let's spin this around on you:  How am I protesting too much?  You can use examples, if you'd like, or I can pretend like you have evidence if it'd make you feel better.

Firstly there's your reaction to NQT's post. You reacted to a pressure by saying that you didn't want a Tric lynch D1. Town or no, that's a strong reaction to one pressure vote. Then there's your insistence on defending Tric, saying that anyone who wants to go after Tric will have to go after you first. All this for someone who hasn't (at least to me) been 100% cleared yet.

Not enjoying this reaction to webadict's defense of TricMagic though. I think the game was developed enough at that point that webadict's judgment about TricMagic isn't premature. Also I don't think protesting a pressure vote, if that even is what webadict was protesting, is inappropriate either.

day start, early morning Roden activity

I find this interesting and I feel like I should have commentary about it but I don't really have an opinion about it.

FIRST POST!!!!!!

Anyways, NJW2000 is scum. Counter-arguments?

I... uh... That is to say... Well, you got me there.

NJW2000 is a good vote for me, so I'll follow you Jack.
This is good.

Nakeen is basically an Innocent Child and we should treat them as such today.
But holy ****, this is not.

Hmmmm, I don't dislike this sequence from NJW2000.

Please don't spam the thread to death this game. Looking at you, Toony and Web.

nofunallowed.jpg

We shouldn't do the thing where we lazily elim Tric D1 for no good reason, yes, though I don't know why Web or Toony brought it up on the basis of one vote. That seems more like they're trying to stop him coming under pressure.

Fix your programming, ya bucket of bolts, I'm saying TricMagic is easily targeted because he's often scum-adjacent as Town.  I refuse to believe that TricMagic is scum given that he has a kill ability.
This is dumb. It's not uncommon for the mafia to have role-related mafiakill abilities in BYORs; and last time I was scum in an FoU game I had a priming ability alongside the poison mafiakill. So even if we believe Tric's ability and role claims, he may be scum.

This game doesn't look particularly like scum!Tric so far (with one or two caveats). But Web and Toony immediately jumping on NQT's single pressure-vote with "nah we can't elim Tric", with faulty logic from Wuba at least... doesn't look great.

I'd say the mafia has an incentive to keep even town!Tric around, given his variable town-utility and claim that he's going to set fire to things. Tric seems to think this is also the case. So this behaviour is suspect.

I don't know if I agree with everything NJW2000 concludes here but I like this post in general.

beep boop

This is high effort. Nice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NJW2000:  Found. Double-Voter. Activity Report: Random Question Stage.

Wow, you paid a lot more attention to the day start post than I did.

I also have loads of goodies, and I'm giving them all to ToonyMan!  How's that sound?

Works for me.

webadict being a goofball

I don't mind this. Does this improve my opinion about webadict? I think it does, for whatever reason.

Jim Groovester - 20% Scum:  More like Gym Groovester, amirite, also he hasn't posted meta-analysis and it's 14 hours in wtfffffffffffff

Ha ha jokes on you I haven't seriously worked out in months.

Tric, why would mafia ever think to kill you if you're only advertising the negative utility of your role?
Bad vote.

Agree pretty hard here.

This sounds quite reasonable to me, at least as a whole.

Hmmmm, a player judgment in an opening post.

Good.

By the way, does anyone happen to have an ability they really really really don't like?

Are you offering to remove it if only people would tell you the ability name?

I’m a miller, of some sort.

I’m town but when invested I identify as a serial killer because I put “with dubious morals” in my role name.

Do I believe this?

I guess so.

PS: Have you ever tried to game the system by putting a really powerful name but the role you get disappoints you? I mean, it’s okay, but it requires a lot of things to go my way.

This is exactly how 'Shakeragian' became an adjective used for roles you're describing.

Tric, why would mafia ever think to kill you if you're only advertising the negative utility of your role?
Bad vote.

Ur a bad vote

Do you have more to comment here than the drive by humor?

@NJW2000: I am flattered that my presence was so inconspicuous I passed for a non-person. I wouldn't mind if you continued thinking so for the rest of the game though.

. . .

I will refrain from voting for now, it seems there is enough pressured players to have interesting inputs on involved parties.

No, go get in the thick of it.

We'll know whether Jim is scum by whether or not he gets killed n1 so who cares.

It's N2, get it right.

Early reads:

NJW2000 - lean town
webadict - lean town
ToonyMan - lean weakly town
TricMagic - lean don't have a strong read but is probably town
Maximum Spin - lean don't have a strong read but is probably town
EuchreJack - lean don't have a strong read but is probably town
Knightwing64 - lean don't have a strong read but is probably town
TolyK - lean I don't dislike what I've seen so far
juicebox - lean mixed feelings because going after webadict for defending TricMagic is ehhhhhhhhhh but I like that he followed up his own post to ask another question
Nakeen - lean passive
Roden - lean bad TricMagic vote
Vector - lean technically in the game
notquitethere - lean robot that I want to see more of to make a judgment on

I would vote Roden right now if the day was about to end.

Despite being Day 1 in a fourteen player game this wasn't that onerous to get through.

Personal Protective Equipment:
Ok, Jim is town.

This is a very low threshold.

You're not incorrect but it's not like I don't make perfectly irrelevant posts as scum.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2022, 10:51:53 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
-> notquitethere --2-- Maximum Spin*, webadict*,
-> TricMagic     --2-- notquitethere*, Roden*,
Jim Groovester   --1-- juicebox*,
juicebox         --1-- TricMagic*,
Nakéen           --1-- ToonyMan*,
NJW2000          --1-- EuchreJack*,
ToonyMan         --1-- NJW2000*,
EuchreJack       --0--
hector13         --0--
Knightwing64     --0--
Maximum Spin     --0--
Roden            --0--
Vector           --0--
webadict         --0--
No One           --0--

Not Voting       --5-- hector13, Jim Groovester, Knightwing64, Nakéen, Vector,

8 to Hammer. Day ends on October 16, 2022 at 02:00 Central Daylight Time (~51 hours remaining).

Dang, could you imagine if we all just lazily did nothing and let TricMagic get voted out, that'd be incredibly unforeseeable.  But trying to stop that would be, just, so overreacting.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2022, 10:53:17 pm »

I am a Dragon. I burn people, among other things. What those things are are something you're have to find out, but at least my actions are known!

Seriously though, On Fire.
Yes, my Flareon also has access to a certain status condition.  Does it do anything for you?  Because it literally doesn't look like it does anything for me, hence the confusion.
Odd. And yeah, it does do something. It kills people. Not much way to pretty that point up.

... Wonder if anyone else has the ability to set it off. Well, maybe mafia will try to kill me, but unlikely given nearly everything I do sets people on fire.
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding this, but I'm not reading this as a Vig claim. To me, it sounds like Tric's kill ability is a consequence of his action rather than being the main function of it. And he's implying that Mafia may be able to manipulate it/use it for themselves. So to me it just sounds like negative utility.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2022, 11:12:04 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
EuchreJack       --0--
hector13         --0--
Knightwing64     --0--
Maximum Spin     --0--
Roden            --0--
Vector           --0--
webadict         --0--
No One           --0--

8 to Hammer. Day ends on October 16, 2022 at 02:00 Central Daylight Time (~51 hours remaining).

Dang, could you imagine if we all just lazily did nothing and let TricMagic get voted out, that'd be incredibly unforeseeable.  But trying to stop that would be, just, so overreacting.
Tric has two votes on him...and we aren't even close to deadline...

Is there anyone actually pushing Tric or scum reading him right now?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2022, 11:15:31 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
EuchreJack       --0--
hector13         --0--
Knightwing64     --0--
Maximum Spin     --0--
Roden            --0--
Vector           --0--
webadict         --0--
No One           --0--

I feel like you are both asking and answering your own question.
To make my point more clear: Who are you voting again?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2022, 11:18:48 pm »

I am a Dragon. I burn people, among other things. What those things are are something you're have to find out, but at least my actions are known!

Yes, my Flareon also has access to a certain status condition.  Does it do anything for you?  Because it literally doesn't look like it does anything for me, hence the confusion.
Odd. And yeah, it does do something. It kills people. Not much way to pretty that point up.

... Wonder if anyone else has the ability to set it off. Well, maybe mafia will try to kill me, but unlikely given nearly everything I do sets people on fire.
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding this, but I'm not reading this as a Vig claim. To me, it sounds like Tric's kill ability is a consequence of his action rather than being the main function of it. And he's implying that Mafia may be able to manipulate it/use it for themselves. So to me it just sounds like negative utility.
If you want to look at it that way, then it may be that several players interact with certain mechanics negatively.

It's possible that Soaked and On Fire! are both utilized by evil factions, but Tric is essentially in charge of a loaded gun.  Anyone he targets is potentially killed.  That's only a negative if you let it be a negative.

I honestly don't see a reason for TricMagic to claim On Fire! and a kill as Mafia, especially since he'd be outted on N1 when no Mafiakill happens.  That's just a meta-read.

My role on top of that has literally no reason to give On Fire! status conditions, so it doesn't make any sense for TricMagic to be scum at all to me except to allow him to be able to Vigilante faster, and given my other Abilities, this kinda supports how my role works.  That's a personal view of the entire thing.  That's not really something I expect you to believe on the surface.

The real confusion for me is "Soaked" because it's... Kinda... Just there.  I can get some information by Soaking people, but I'm not entirely sure why I have Soaked at all except that my results are technically public because of it.  But, if everyone's Soaked by like Day 3, it's not gonna matter, so I'm gonna have to probably use it Tonight.

Assumedly you and notquitethere, but the real answer is probably not. I think it's a lazy place to keep your vote, where it looks active enough but really just kinda coasts.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2022, 11:28:09 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
EuchreJack       --0--
hector13         --0--
Knightwing64     --0--
Maximum Spin     --0--
Roden            --0--
Vector           --0--
webadict         --0--
No One           --0--

I feel like you are both asking and answering your own question.
To make my point more clear: Who are you voting again?
If you look at my vote you can see that I'm not pushing or scum reading Tric, it's a RVS vote with a question that never got answered.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2022, 11:32:56 pm »

If you look at my vote you can see that I'm not pushing or scum reading Tric, it's a RVS vote with a question that never got answered.
Funny how it's still there, then.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2022, 11:47:23 pm »

If you want to look at it that way, then it may be that several players interact with certain mechanics negatively.

It's possible that Soaked and On Fire! are both utilized by evil factions, but Tric is essentially in charge of a loaded gun.  Anyone he targets is potentially killed.  That's only a negative if you let it be a negative.

I honestly don't see a reason for TricMagic to claim On Fire! and a kill as Mafia, especially since he'd be outted on N1 when no Mafiakill happens.  That's just a meta-read.

My role on top of that has literally no reason to give On Fire! status conditions, so it doesn't make any sense for TricMagic to be scum at all to me except to allow him to be able to Vigilante faster, and given my other Abilities, this kinda supports how my role works.  That's a personal view of the entire thing.  That's not really something I expect you to believe on the surface.

The real confusion for me is "Soaked" because it's... Kinda... Just there.  I can get some information by Soaking people, but I'm not entirely sure why I have Soaked at all except that my results are technically public because of it.  But, if everyone's Soaked by like Day 3, it's not gonna matter, so I'm gonna have to probably use it Tonight.

Assumedly you and notquitethere, but the real answer is probably not. I think it's a lazy place to keep your vote, where it looks active enough but really just kinda coasts.
That explains things a bit better actually. My role doesn't mention anything about status effects, specific or not, so seeing someone claim a kill ability working with a burning ability just makes it sound like an Arsonist/Arsonist-Enabler.

If Soak gives you info about roles, I don't mind getting targeted tonight. If it makes it public though, scum likely have some way to avoid having everything about their role leaked. Public Rolecop sounds kinda nuts.

I'll move over to NQT for now.

Funny how it's still there, then.
Maybe explain what makes it funny instead of vaguely shading me and doing nothing to try to solve me.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2022, 11:59:34 pm »

Maybe explain what makes it funny instead of vaguely shading me and doing nothing to try to solve me.
I wasn't "shading" you, I was prompting you to change your vote. Which you just did, so it worked.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2022, 12:02:37 am »

I wasn't "shading" you, I was prompting you to change your vote. Which you just did, so it worked.
Maximum Spin, maybe explain what makes it funny instead of pretending that you wanted me to change my vote.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2022, 01:17:55 am »

Maximum Spin, maybe explain what makes it funny instead of pretending that you wanted me to change my vote.
I...
it wasn't actually funny, Roden. It's a figure of speech. Like "it's funny how that works".
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 113