Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 113

Author Topic: FBYOR 5 - Game Over - Learning From Disaster, As All Ends In Fire And Darkness  (Read 58270 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 5 (14 / 14) - Day 1 - The Game Begins, Every Drake In Their Place
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2022, 12:02:00 pm »

We shouldn't do the thing where we lazily elim Tric D1 for no good reason, yes, though I don't know why Web or Toony brought it up on the basis of one vote. That seems more like they're trying to stop him coming under pressure.

Fix your programming, ya bucket of bolts, I'm saying TricMagic is easily targeted because he's often scum-adjacent as Town.  I refuse to believe that TricMagic is scum given that he has a kill ability.
This is dumb. It's not uncommon for the mafia to have role-related mafiakill abilities in BYORs; and last time I was scum in an FoU game I had a priming ability alongside the poison mafiakill. So even if we believe Tric's ability and role claims, he may be scum.

This game doesn't look particularly like scum!Tric so far (with one or two caveats). But Web and Toony immediately jumping on NQT's single pressure-vote with "nah we can't elim Tric", with faulty logic from Wuba at least... doesn't look great.

I'd say the mafia has an incentive to keep even town!Tric around, given his variable town-utility and claim that he's going to set fire to things. Tric seems to think this is also the case. So this behaviour is suspect.

Webadict: why didn't you want NQT to pressure Tric?

One wheel short of a wagon

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2022, 12:04:16 pm »

Hi RVSers, I haven't read anything and may not be able to make an opening post until tomorrow afternoon. All of my work is generally due on Fridays, my advisor is pissed at me because he doesn't like how long it's taken me to fully recover from COVID, I have to cover lecturing for a prof I'm TAing for tmrw afternoon, and there's a key union meeting tonight.

I'll see what I can do, but I'm kind of slammed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2022, 12:13:39 pm »

Jim Groovester: Found. Action report: Confused about the existence of an NPC. Does he believe Nakéen is a fake player?

Quote from: Voting Board, Now Alphabetized

. . .
Nakéen (0):
. . .

No Execution (0):
Not Voting: EuchreJack, Jim Groovester, juicebox, Knightwing64, Maximum Spin, Nakéen, NJW2000, NJW2000, notquitethere, Roden, TolyK, ToonyMan, TricMagic, Vector, webadict

8 to hammer.

*shrug*

Also, confused is not the word I would use to describe my opinion about the NPC. More, mildly annoyed at the presence of an entity that may have some game impact and that I apparently can vote but I can't interact with it meaningfully. It approaches bastard game territory.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2022, 12:29:28 pm »

Webadict: why didn't you want NQT to pressure Tric?
I assume this is a real question and not you simply wasting time with obvious nonsense because, well...  It's obvious.

I think TricMagic is Town.  I think pressuring TricMagic is pointless because it will create a scum-adjacent response where people focus on TricMagic, spiraling into a wasted Day.  You literally said you wanted there to be less waste, and I'm doing it for you right now.

You wanna go after TricMagic?  Go after me.

@Web: What about the possibility that Tric is Mafia claiming Vigilante?
Less than 1%.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2022, 12:45:39 pm »

The assumption being that any pressure on Tric naturally leads to Tric being eliminated?

I think that's underselling Tric a bit.
One wheel short of a wagon

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2022, 12:53:41 pm »

I’m a miller, of some sort.

I’m town but when invested I identify as a serial killer because I put “with dubious morals” in my role name.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2022, 01:10:34 pm »

The assumption being that any pressure on Tric naturally leads to Tric being eliminated?

I think that's underselling Tric a bit.
And yet, we consistently vote out TricMagic when no one defends him.

Did you read the post where NQT pushed TricMagic?  Let me quote the part that mattered to me:
Additionally, Early role focus of players is expected, but some players scanned are currently in Commentary mode rather than Hunting mode (Maximum Spin, NJW2000, TricMagic). Likelihood all three are scum-sided: low. Additional metrics sought.
TricMagic had explicitly given their role and volunteered that they could perform a kill action, and I have a way to further this Ability.

Follow this logic for me because this is straightforward from my position.  I have an Ability that can set multiple people On Fire.  This means that TricMagic could potentially kill multiple people (an Ability he did not have to disclose and did so before I even claimed what my Abilities do.)  My Ability does nothing else except set people On Fire.  What good would my Ability do if all I could do was set someone On Fire to give the Mafia people to kill?  Does this, perhaps, make sense to you?

The point being that I am over 99% sure that TricMagic is Town.  Do you think that I don't believe this?  Am I lying about an Ability I have?  Is TricMagic lying about an Ability he has?  He literally claimed On Fire and it's been backed up by multiple people.

So, from my perspective, if you think TricMagic is scum, then you think I am scum.  Pressuring TricMagic is pointless because he's Town.  Get information from literally anyone else, including me, and I won't hassle you, but notice that NQT did not list me as someone that was commenting on the game when I literally voted Roden and posted no information.

So, I'll ask you a slightly better question:  Why aren't you pressuring NQT?  I think you could reasonably assume why I defended TricMagic based on what I said, but maybe I'm wrong.  It wasn't entirely obvious what my Ability does.  What were you confused about?

The point isn't that you even think TricMagic is scum, because based on your reading, you don't, or at least, you don't appear to think he's scummier than average.  So, what is confusing about stopping a line of questioning that goes nowhere before it happens?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2022, 01:34:12 pm »

I’m a miller, of some sort.

I’m town but when invested I identify as a serial killer because I put “with dubious morals” in my role name.
Okay Knightwing is town

Next

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2022, 01:42:38 pm »

Hey Web I think you're town so let me share some info. I think NJW is probably town here because they did town rep Tric and NQT earlier, feel like town!NJW would do that (since Tric is town and NQT is probably town) then try to pursue players like me and you incorrectly since NJW is only on the ball 50% of the time.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2022, 01:47:10 pm »

Finally, I can post! Sorry for being late, oopsies :p

@EuchreJack: well you know the saying. Early bird gets the know, latter birds fight for the worm, and latest bird snatches the worm! Or something.

@juicebox: The pleasure is mine! I adapt my playstyle to the amount time I have, and I'm here to have fun. And half the fun is to figure it out, right? Or so they say, I think.

@NJW2000: I am flattered that my presence was so inconspicuous I passed for a non-person. I wouldn't mind if you continued thinking so for the rest of the game though.

-------

I will refrain from voting for now, it seems there is enough pressured players to have interesting inputs on involved parties.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2022, 01:49:16 pm »

@Nakeen:
Is the D1 thing your doing?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2022, 01:51:38 pm »

Hey Web I think you're town so let me share some info. I think NJW is probably town here because they did town rep Tric and NQT earlier, feel like town!NJW would do that (since Tric is town and NQT is probably town) then try to pursue players like me and you incorrectly since NJW is only on the ball 50% of the time.
I want to say I agree (and maybe I do), but I'm trying to teach him about how to follow other people's logic to their finality.  Him asking me why I'm defending TricMagic conflicts with his stated goal of unnecessary derailment:

Please don't spam the thread to death this game. Looking at you, Toony and Web.
You could interpret this as only posting once in a while instead of multiposting like we usually do, but that's superficially implying that we should not deviate from the intended purpose of, ya know, finding scum.  If TricMagic isn't scum, why is he allowing NQT to pressure TricMagic?  His main argument is that I shouldn't defend others, but the avenue of attack opens up when people attack people for bad reasons.

I also think that NQT is actually probably scum, but that's a hard sell to people.

Finally, I can post! Sorry for being late, oopsies :p

@EuchreJack: well you know the saying. Early bird gets the know, latter birds fight for the worm, and latest bird snatches the worm! Or something.

@juicebox: The pleasure is mine! I adapt my playstyle to the amount time I have, and I'm here to have fun. And half the fun is to figure it out, right? Or so they say, I think.

@NJW2000: I am flattered that my presence was so inconspicuous I passed for a non-person. I wouldn't mind if you continued thinking so for the rest of the game though.

-------

I will refrain from voting for now, it seems there is enough pressured players to have interesting inputs on involved parties.
^ Town.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 113