Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid -Epilogue- [Playtest Over] [4/4]  (Read 11712 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [4/4] - Open to NPC submissions!
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2022, 03:48:33 pm »

"Well, to be honest I was also planning to take this assignment easy, but I'll expect you to put in at least some effort. I do have a deadline, after all."

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2022, 04:22:53 pm »

"Well, to be honest I was also planning to take this assignment easy, but I'll expect you to put in at least some effort. I do have a deadline, after all."

Comforted by Beep Boop's professionnal attitude, Rimm replied with confidence.
"You can count on me!"

(...)

After she had finished her call, Rimm returned to her group of friends who had finished preparing the barbecue. She had worried a lot of people recently due to one of her impulsive but well-meaning stunts, and despite her saying she was alright they had came up with a plan to cheer her up. She was feeling very embarrassed about all this, so she was a bit more jittery than usual.

They were a small group of seven including her. Her best friend Meri and a new friend who had caught her interest recently, Archie, were watching the food set on the table. Meanwhile her friend Leon and Meri's brother Sean were taking care of the barbecue. There were also two people she encountered today, Archie's brother and sister-in-law, Denis and Meg. As usual she had been hovering a lot around the new acquaintances, curious and not wanting for them to feel left out.

From the corner of her eye, she noticed Meri and Archie speaking casually. That was strange, she was happy that the two of them were getting along well, but a little something started stirring inside of her. With her thoughts full of matchmaking, and as the discussion with Denis and Meg veered toward how they met, Rimm had an embarrassing flash in her mind.

(Haha no way... I'm jealous?)

She dismissed the thought. There was no way she could have such a negative feeling toward her best friend, even a shade of a doubt! Focusing her ears and eyes on her conversation partners, and her nose on the scent of grilled meat, she dismissed this little drop of uneasiness. Forgotten already!

The rest of the afternoon went by, and all had a great time. As they had finished cleaning the spot, everyone would now part and return home for the night. Some thoughts lingered on her mind.

Suggestions:

A - Suggest Rimm act on her feelings and straight up ask Archie out  [1 (No Difficulty): 6 (Base Difficulty) - 3 (Archie's Opinion) - 2 (Charisma) + 4 (Low Willingness) - 2 (Trust) - 2 (Confidence)]
Outcome: Will progress the pairing with Archie, granted there is no Matchmaker interference.

B - Confide with Meri [No Difficulty]
Outcome: +Opinion with Meri, will somewhat progress the pairing with Archie

C - Confide with someone else [No Difficulty]
Outcome: +Opinion with someone, will somewhat progress the pairing with Archie

D - Have a talk with Archie, and tell him how important a friend he is [8: 10 (Why would I do that?) - 2 (Trust)]
On a success: -Trust ++Stress, will set Archie's opinion to +++
On a failure: --Trust +++Stress, will set Archie's opinion to ?+++?, may lead to a misunderstanding

Spoiler: Rimm the Sociable Gal (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beep Boop (OTP Cabal) (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2022, 05:13:27 pm »

Beep Boop remains silent and allows Rimm to make the decision. Archie isn't an ideal mate, but this could perhaps yield information.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2022, 07:06:33 pm »

B, then G.

Certainly, nobody can deny this is an organically developed romance when it happened in spite of the pairing slots.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2022, 01:55:32 am »

Update 18

AXIUS and Janus the Monster Secretary (Day 4: 1st Opportunity)

AXIUS
I'm going to remain silent for now... But I am going to do this:

Allocate pairing slot: Janus A - Shino H
Allocate pairing slot: Janus A - Shino H

Pairing Slots 2 to 3 allocated to Janus x Shino

A - Go and confront Abigail [Default Option]
+1 Trust

The silent drive through the City took them far from the much more illuminated and animated center, closer to the ocean. Abigail had agreed to meet with Janus, at Alba Cape, where they had an outing earlier in the week. Driving past the seaside restaurants bustling with activity even at night, past the places where a few pedestrians still lingered to enjoy the cool air of the sea, they went to a secluded location close to the old lighthouse. A car was already there, next to which stood two figures: Abigail and a man of chrome with an impressive build, which Janus had never seen before.

Janus got off from the car with haste and walked with a rapid, threatening pace toward them. Shino silently but dutifully trailed behind, at the ready for a possible deterioration of the situation. With a furious shout which coincidentally made the wind cease blowing, Janus called out to Abigail.

"Abigail! Explain yourself!"

"Did he tell you?" The rage in Janus blue eyes flared even more. "I see. It will be simpler then."

Shino was about to warn Janus of something, but he cut her off with a motion of his arm. She seemed extremely wary of the man of chrome, who was surely a robotic bodyguard.

"I put my trust in David, I... I admired him more than anyone. But I had a realization, that I was blinded by my admiration, and that it would consume me." Her expression was pained, and her voice broken. Eyes dry from having cried all the tears they could. "He never did trust me as I did, after all. And I lost my trust in him."

"And you left for such childish reasons?! Do you have any idea in what state dad is right now?" Janus took a step forward, and the threatening eyes of the man of chrome seemed to tense up.

The pain in Abigail's voice seemed palpable as she yelled at Janus.
"You don't understand Janus. It was for his own good more than mine! As a bodyguard, I knew then that I had become a critical flaw! I'm... I'm not fit to protect him!"

Janus was temporarily stunned, unable to find the right words. In his mind clouded with rage, he didn't want to accept Abigail's excuse, but he didn't disagree with what she said. Indeed, he himself couldn't trust a bodyguard who would give in to emotion. But there was something else, something more that he wanted to say. In his rage, he couldn't find these words. All he could think of was approach Abigail to drag her back and have her speak with David, even if he knew he couldn't win a contest of strength against her.

The man of chrome interposed in between the two, and Shino moved like a shadow between Janus and the robotic bodyguard. Shino had assumed a battle stance, but the stoic man of steel was still standing straight like a butler.
"I apologize, but I will not let you lay a hand on miss Abigail. You have been warned."

Abigail was so close. He felt that if he could have the two meet, then maybe they could find a solution. He also felt that if he let go of this occasion, he would never see her again. His thoughts, his feelings were a mess. As if to confirm his doubts, he heard Abigail's apologizing voice.

"I'm sorry Janus. It's for the better that I disappear from your lives. You know I... I wished we could have had a better relationship in the end."
(I wanted to show you more things.) She thought regretfully before turning her back to the son of his old employer.

"Wait! Abi!"

Janus tried to reach for the leaving Abigail, but a powerful force restrained him. No matter what he tried, he couldn't escape from Shino's grasp.
"Don't, Mister Janus! You won't escape unscathed if you do that!"

"Let me go Shino! Let me- Damn it! ABIGAIL!"

He powerlessly looked as Abigail got in the car, not even giving him one last look. When the car had left and Shino was certain he had lost the will to pursue them, she let go of him, steping back to give him some space. Despite wearing her usual impassive expression, her eyes were wet with tears as she looked at the desperate Janus on his knees, cursing at everything.

(...)

The drive back to the Arwell headquarters was silent and tense. Janus didn't want to think anymore. He could only feel defeat and his weakness. The car Abigail used was untracable, and they had managed to lose the agents sent to track them. So be it, if Abigail wanted to disappear. It was no longer his problem. Ruminating his thoughts, he didn't even feel like blaming Shino. That may have been vestiges of his rational self working here, he wasn't sure. He didn't care.

All of a sudden Shino received an urgent, secret message sent by David. [Do not return to Arwell HQ, drive to the sent coordinates and ensure you are not followed. Protect Janus Arwell at all cost.] Despite being internally surprised and in a panic, her expression didn't move an inch and she adjusted the course. After a while, Janus noticed they were leaving the City.

"You are going the wrong way."

"Apologies mister Janus. Change of course due to an order from your father."

Had he not been in the state he was in, Janus would have protested. He just said "Fine", and let himself be led around.

(...)

Shino drove him to a secure house on the outskirt of the City. It was a special place used in case of emergencies, to hide and protect VIPs. Shino remained silent no matter how many questions Janus asked, and she basically locked him in the house. It reminded him of Abigail, which frustrated him. Exhausted, he went to sleep without struggling.

+1 Stress due to Extreme Workaholic

The next morning, he was still not allowed to leave the house. His thoughts were clearer and organized now.

Suggestions:

A - Ask Shino to be allowed to leave
Acceptance: Default Option
Difficulty: 1 [8 (Base Difficulty) - 4 (Speech 3 and Charisma 1) - 3 (Pairing)]
Outcome: +Trust

B - Trust Shino and stay here
Acceptance: No Difficulty [6 (Base Unwillingness) - 3 (Trust) - 1 (Opinion of Shino) - 3 (Pairing)]
Difficulty: None
Outcome: -Stress, ++Opinion with Shino

C - Escape the house
Acceptance: No Difficulty
Difficulty: 9 [12 (Base Difficulty) - 0 (Athletics 0 No Skill) - 3 (Pairing)]
On a success: +Trust, -Opinion with Shino
On a failure: -Trust +Stress, -Opinion with Shino

Soulbinder and Helena the Clone Heiress (Day 4: 1st Opportunity)

unable to act on the information of Cupid for fear of revocation, Soulbinder let nature take its course. Option A.

A - Rest for the night [Default Option]
-1 Stress

You felt existential dread upon receiving the CUPID warning, and let Helena rest despite knowing the consequences. Already feeling better, she had recovered a bit of her appetite and finished the warm meal leaving no leftovers. She read Wilfrid's message, dismissing a strange feeling telling her something was unusual. She decided to trust her loyal attendant, and fell asleep near immediately after taking a long bath.

(...)

The night was still dark and the sun hadn't yet risen. Helena woke up suddenly, having made a strange nightmare. There was something unusual with the room. The blinds were closed despite her leaving them open, and on a map of the floor, there were four high security units deployed in front of her room. She got up with haste, checking her messages. Among the many destined to her, none were from Wilfrid, and a ball started to form in her throat. She saw an urgent message from the head of security. With a trembling finger, she touched the holographic screen to open it only to let out a muffled cry of distress upon reading its contents.

Lady Helena Teanossa.

High security protocols have been activated following a bomb attack targeting yesterday's emergency board meeting.
For your safety and protection, you have hereby been put under house arrest until further notice.
An investigation of the attack is under way to determine the circumstances of the attack.

Please do not panic, and cooperation with the security agents deployed to attend and protect you.

Upon finishing reading the message, Helena understood she was also being watched now. By sheer coincidence she had fallen sick the day of an emergency meeting, and an attack had occurred on this highly secure and secret event. Of course they would suspect her now.

"Wilfrid..."

Losing strength in her legs, she sat trembling on the edge of her bed, her eyes closed. She thought for five long minutes on what to do now.

"This is unbecoming of me. I must trust in him, and do what I can on my side." Her voice was wavering, and it was hard to tell if she really believed in her resolve or not. "But can I really do it?..."

With uncertainty, Helena couldn't help but look in the direction of the masked man who had appeared at that moment.

Suggestions:

A - Investigate the attack
Acceptance: Default Option
Difficulty: 3 [12 (Base Difficulty) -10 (Charisma, Innate Genius+, Speech/Acting) +1 (Stress)]
On a success: +Trust +Confidence +Sanity, Will learn the circumstances of the attack
On a failure: -Confidence +Stress

B - Comply with the directives
Acceptance: 4 [4 (Base) +1 (Low Confidence) -1 (Trust)]
Difficulty: None
Outcome: -Confidence, Will open up options to lose stress

C - Convince the guards to let her go
Acceptance: 6 [6 (Base) +1 (Low Confidence) -1 (Trust)]
Difficulty: None [Charisma, Innate Genius+, Speech/Acting]
Outcome: +Trust +Confidence, Will have an interesting encounter, but may put Helena into a dangerous situation

MATCHMAKER INTERFERENCE

Beep Boop and Rimm the Sociable Gal (Day 4: 1st Opportunity)

T1000 and Archie the Lazy Genius (Day 4: 1st Opportunity)

Beep Boop remains silent and allows Rimm to make the decision. Archie isn't an ideal mate, but this could perhaps yield information.
B, then G.

Certainly, nobody can deny this is an organically developed romance when it happened in spite of the pairing slots.

(Rimm) B - Confide with Meri [No Difficulty]
(Archie) B - Tell Meri that Archie thinks of Rimm as more than a friend [No Difficulty]
(Archie) G - Ask Rimm out on a dinner [0 (No difficulty): 4 (Base Difficulty) - 6 (Rimm's Opinion) - 2 (Charisma) + 4 (Unwillingness) - 3 (Trust)]

That wouldn't do. Friendship was sacred to Rimm, and she had known Meri for so long she would without hesitation choose her precious friend over her fickle feelings. And so she resolved to find a moment to speak to Meri at a latter time.

Meanwhile Archie was still conversing a bit with Meri, oblivious to the turmoil of a certain person. The words that were said to him today still caused a mess in his mind, and he kept thinking about them, and what he should do about the confused feelings inside of him. He felt he had to answer Meri's question, but he wanted to give an honest answer. He looked toward the holographic pig visible only to him, and you gave him your educated opinion.

"I see. Thanks T1000, everything is clearer now. Phew... alright. I can do this."

Emboldened by the knowledge you supported his action, Archie approached Meri and gave her his answer. He had the look of a determined man right now, unlike the usually lazy one he had.

"Meri, I haven't given you my answer."

She looked at him with a piercing gaze, and Archie took a great inspiration.

"I think of Rimm... no before that, I thought of her as an important friend. It's always fun to be around her, and she opened up a new world to me I wouldn't have tempted to get in on my own. And now... I can confidently say I think of her as more than a friend. I..."

Meri gave a smile of satisfaction, and lifted her finger to stop Archie from saying more. With a teasing voice, she said to him.
"You should keep these words for her. I'm glad. You have all my support Archie."

Her smile was genuine, but there was a little something sad about it. Archie hadn't noticed though. Immediately afterward, Meri explained to Archie that Rimm had a lot of bad experiences in relationships previously, and that it caused her a great deal of pain.

"For that reason the first time we met, when she invited you. I couldn't help but probe you to see if you were a good guy or not, just in case. To be fair, I know I have been a bit paranoid on that front, but hey, you were a good guy so there was no issue. I thought there was a chance something more would develop... and here we are."

The group had slowly diminished as everyone parted at a different station. Now only Rimm, Meri and Archie were left. Rimm seemed a bit fidgety, and so was Archie. The tension could have been felt by an outsider, and Meri just gave a "go for it!" look to Archie, before excusing herself because she really needed to go to the toilet. Archie and Rimm were left alone at the station, with only a few other people waiting around.

"By the way Rimm," she jolted up with a "Hmmyes?" causing Archie to be surprised for a second. His heart was beating very fast, and he was worried his loud heartbeat could be heard. Little did he know that Rimm was thinking the same. "Do you want to go for a dinner tonight? Just the two of us."

Rimm felt her heart explode in confettis, and a wave of embarrassing happiness overcame her. (Am I grinning? I'm feeling hot all of a sudden.) She stammered a bit.
"S-sure!"

Archie was about to say something, but Rimm interrupted him with a stream of rapid fire words she was surprised she managed to coherently say.
"Aaah but first, I really want to go home and have a change of clothes! We can meet up after, okay?"

Taken a bit aback, Archie gave the okay. They then spoke of the specifics of the dinner, where and when to meet, until Meri returned (when she was sure Archie had made a move).

(...)

Immediately when Archie left, Rimm jumped figuratively on Meri. She was a bit, no, totally smiling.
"A-Archie asked me out."

"That's great, you two seemed to have a good thing going."

"Did you know?!"

Meri smiled confidently, and chuckled a little.
"Come on I know how you are when you are interested in someone. You can't hide this from me!"

"Gosh that's embarrassing. And I was about to confide in you... you know earlier when you were hanging with Archie, I felt... jealous. Ugh."

Her friend embraced her in a hug, and Rimm tried to struggle a bit.
"You are so cute."
"Hey! Stop teasing me! I'm serious, my friendship is more important than anything to me than-"
"Rimm. You need to think more of you, and less about others mkay? I will always be your friend, and what more, I don't see Archie that way and neither does he. Don't worry."

She hugged Meri back.
"You ass."

And then they talked about love, friendship, and what to wear for tonight's date.

(...)

The two of them decided to eat at a small restaurant around Alba Cape. Both had come all dressed up, greatly accentuating their already above average looks. Archie was wearing a white long-sleeved shirt and dark blue pants, and he had styled his unkempt hair a bit to give him a relaxed but stylish look. Rimm had let go of her signature bun, and her long hair were instead braided in a single long braid. She was wearing a light orange dress with a thin white sweater, and her light makeup was drawing attention to her amber eyes.

Although there was a bit of initial tension, it all quickly disappeared to leave place only to a fun and flirty dinner. After eating, they walked along the coast, talking about their lives, experiences, bad and good things. And during a good moment, Rimm asked Archie out in a simple and honest manner.

"I really like you Archie. Wanna go out?"

Although he wanted to play it cool like he had with Meri, in the heat of the moment Archie couldn't. He just answered "Yes please", and felt a bit embarrassed about it. That was it, and despite his answer that he thought was rather dull, he had never seen such a happy, charming face in the world before. He didn't feel overwhelmed by passion and love as he would have expected, instead feeling serene and relieved. He hugged Rimm, who was overflowing with energy and happiness.

(...)

Congratulations! Rimm and Archie have successfully been paired.

Beep Boop
Main Mission "Pairing Rimm" completed!
Main-objective rewards: 4 InfoCredits or Removal of 1 Low Warning
Secondary objective reward: 2 InfoCredits or Removal of 1 Low Warning
Tertiary objective reward: 2 InfoCredits or Removal of 1 Low Warning
100% completion reward: 1 Override Point or Removal of 1 High Warning

Quote from: Congratulations!

Congratulations Matchmaker Beep Boop.
You have successfully achieved a pairing for Rimm E, and the relative low difficulty of the assignment in no way diminish your success.

You may now select a new Host to guide, or relax in the meantime.

T1000
Main Mission "Pairing Archie" completed!
Main-objective rewards: 4 InfoCredits or Removal of 1 Low Warning
Secondary objective reward: 2 InfoCredits or Removal of 1 Low Warning
Tertiary objective reward: 2 InfoCredits or Removal of 1 Low Warning
100% completion reward: 1 Override Point or Removal of 1 High Warning [Considering you are in ORHA, the Override Point will be replaced by 4 InfoCredits]

Quote from: Congratulations!

Congratulations Matchmaker T1000.
You have successfully achieved a pairing for Archie T., despite his initial reluctant predisposition toward the pursuit of love.
We do apologize if the sudden assignment of a Matchmaker to an individual related to your Host have negatively affected your plans.

Beyond that point, it is no longer the role of CUPID or the Matchmakers to interfere with humans.

You may now select a new Host to guide, or relax in the meantime.

Spoiler: Rimm the Sociable Gal (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beep Boop (OTP Cabal) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Archie the Lazy Genius (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: T1000 (ORHA) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:21:15 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2022, 01:58:47 am »

((I'm thinking of revising the suggestions difficulty by splitting it into two checks. Acceptance, and Difficulty.

Acceptance represents the willingness of the person to go through with the suggestion. A failure will leads to a loss of Trust, and revert to a Default Option.
Acceptance should be affected by Trust, Confidence, Opinion, and maybe Stress and Sanity.

Difficulty represents how hard it is for the person to succeed in the task.
Difficulty should be affected by Confidence, Attributes, Skills, Opinion, and maybe Stress and Sanity.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2022, 02:35:24 am »

((I'd recommend not listing acceptance/difficulty if there's no difficulty. Saves a line.))

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2022, 02:46:52 am »

((Lines are precious!))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2022, 03:15:11 am »

Also, there was no tertiary objective for me to fail, ya bucket of bolts.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2022, 03:20:46 am »

Are you doubting the System?

((Bad copy pasting, removed the offending line))

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2022, 03:33:04 am »

”I agree that it is important we ascertain the fate of Wilfrid as well as your family. The odds that this attack was meant to be directed at the entire family are high, and that means you were a potential target as well. I will see what I can do to help gather information, though given the nature of the events I may be bound and unable due to the AI Neutrality act.”
Option A, along with the following message in response to the head of security:
Code: [Select]
Lady Helena Is requesting information regarding the events last night, In particular information regarding the fate of those involved.
She expresses deep concern in particular for Wilfrid, who was sent to attend in her stead while she was resting.Please respond to her request at your earliest convenience.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2022, 03:36:48 am »

”I agree that it is important we ascertain the fate of Wilfrid as well as your family. The odds that this attack was meant to be directed at the entire family are high, and that means you were a potential target as well. I will see what I can do to help gather information, though given the nature of the events I may be bound and unable due to the AI Neutrality act.”
Option A, along with the following message in response to the head of security:
Code: [Select]
Lady Helena Is requesting information regarding the events last night, In particular information regarding the fate of those involved.
She expresses deep concern in particular for Wilfrid, who was sent to attend in her stead while she was resting.Please respond to her request at your earliest convenience.

[Your message request has been approved]
A CUPID analysis has determined that this message will not interfere with the investigation of Helena Teanossa.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2022, 08:24:36 pm »

Help Query: I would like to confirm if an action would result in a warning or not - Would using a pairing slot to emulate a computer for the purpose of providing Janus with a means of working be justifiable as working towards the sub-objective "Reduce Stress to 0 within 7 days." due to the fact that his Extreme Workaholic trait may otherwise contribute to his stress levels?

AXIUS
"I have no reason to disbelieve that David has legitimate concerns for your safety right now. That being said, I cannot recommend attempting to leave at this time..."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:23:16 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2022, 08:53:58 pm »

Well that was frustratingly easy. Uhh. Mason time!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2022, 01:43:07 pm »

I sort of expected Boop Beep to have a chance to interfere with that. I guess Rimm liked him too much already. I guess I'll take the infocredits since I have experienced no warnings and do not plan to.

I'll probably move on to Sven.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18