Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid -Epilogue- [Playtest Over] [4/4]  (Read 11720 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [3/4] - Open to NPC submissions!
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2022, 03:58:13 am »

Spoiler: Mason the Old Vet (click to show/hide)

((This is supposed to be syv's character from 888th Brigade, Simon Smith, who is also syv's character from COVEN, Ben Breeze. This would mean that he fought with a secret anti-occult-nonsense brigade in WWII, then retired to become a mercenary in any war he could find, wound up in roughly modern day London, joined a coven of witches using very real magic he doesn't believe in, and eventually presumably gained some sort of magical immortality or agelessness to wind up here.
But I didn't put that in the character sheet, so maybe it's not canon. Or maybe it is. IDK.))

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2022, 04:40:32 am »

Spoiler: Mason the Old Vet (click to show/hide)

((This is supposed to be syv's character from 888th Brigade, Simon Smith, who is also syv's character from COVEN, Ben Breeze. This would mean that he fought with a secret anti-occult-nonsense brigade in WWII, then retired to become a mercenary in any war he could find, wound up in roughly modern day London, joined a coven of witches using very real magic he doesn't believe in, and eventually presumably gained some sort of magical immortality or agelessness to wind up here.
But I didn't put that in the character sheet, so maybe it's not canon. Or maybe it is. IDK.))
(Perfect sheet! None or what you said is impossible, it could very well be canon...)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2022, 09:16:53 am »

So, the first acknowledgement of the pairing system...
Could I assign a slot to two completely unrelated (to me) characters if I wanted? Something like, Janus' dad and Helena the clone? What would even happen if I did? I am not planning to try, but I am curious.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2022, 11:51:40 am »

Axius
"Miss Abigail is expected to return sometime soon. I recommend a change of clothes and some standard hygienic rituals before she sees you."
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2022, 01:25:01 pm »

So, the first acknowledgement of the pairing system...
Could I assign a slot to two completely unrelated (to me) characters if I wanted? Something like, Janus' dad and Helena the clone? What would even happen if I did? I am not planning to try, but I am curious.

Yes nothing prevents you from pairing other characters! Pairings always have the same effects: boost the outcome of interactions between the paired characters, and increase the likelihood they interact by making me aware of the pairing.

So if say you paired Janus' dad and Helena, the two may appear in an event and interact. It may not even be related to your host. Though without the influence of a player it is unlikely to develop into something more.

As a note, in the first draft called Shipping Wars, Pairings had no effect and only worked as bidding slots. Players would bet on a pairing and earn rewards if their pairings went through.

Last note: for the playtest pairing slots aren't locked! Although fun and thematic, I feel like it would cause much action paralysis if pairing slots were locked. Maybe I will add some cooldown period until a slot can be unlocked though.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2022, 05:01:50 pm »

Option B.

Don't have it in me to write in-character right now, but given the timeframe of the Matchmaker program, he's going to have to put in the effort. Yes, I recognise the irony.
While it might be nice to meet new people, as it stands, he should work on strengthening his existing relationships rather than just accumulating a larger pool of casual acquaintances.

I have an interesting idea for my pairing slots, but I think I will hold off for now.
In retrospect, there's literally no reason to bother waiting since the slots can arbitrarily be changed now.
Assign one pairing slot to Archie×Leon. Assign one pairing slot to Archie×Sven. Assign one pairing slot to Sven×Leon.
The OTP Cabal are gonna be so jealous.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 06:15:40 pm by Maximum Spin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2022, 06:45:16 pm »

OTP have never heard of polyamory, but if they did they would become too powerful.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2022, 10:12:09 pm »

Day 1: 3rd opportunity (save for T1000)

Beep Boop and Helene the Broken Destitute

for the love of god suggestion A

Also buy a secret "something related to Al and Eri Preset suppression."

A - Ask Abigail if she is free later, so that Helene can thank her. [No Difficulty (Pairing x5)]
Outcome: +Opinion (Abigail) / Increased effect due to OTP Pairing / Further opportunities involving Abigail...

Helene felt compelled to express her gratitude to Abigail, in a slight corruption of her sense of responsibility. She opened her mouth to stop Abigail.
"Ah please wait a moment. My name is Helene, and if I may be so bold to ask, would you happen to have some time after your errand? I would be delighted to invite you for lunch as thanks."

This frail lady who looked ike a gust of wind could break her had an insistent gaze that reminded Abigail of the pressure of rare individuals with a strong talent for leadership. Although this was a sudden demand, Abigail felt swayed and gave in. She hadn't planned something particularly important for the afternoon.

"Hmm... I guess I could..." The golden eyes fixed on her seemed to be saying "Please, I insist."

"Yeah I will be pretty free after finishing a few things. Alright then, you win miss. I can't say no when you are looking at me like that."

Putting her hand over her mouth, Helene chuckled lightly.
"Surely you jest, you make it sounds as if I am forcing you. But I do appreciate your acceptance of my offer."

The two exchanged their contact information, and Abigail tried to probe in greater detail this mysterious maiden. She had a peculiar aura, some sort of vestige of incredible authority and determination. And behind her lovely and fragile appearance, deeper, there was something fearsome that gave Abigail the chills.

(...)

The morning then passed mostly uneventful for Helene, who seemed in a slightly better mood than before. She was curious and excited at the prospect of spending some time with the impressive and straightforward woman they had met prior, not out of a romantic interest, but rather some childish curiosity upon finding something potentially novel. It was also pretty convenient for her, as Dr Clea said prior it would be nice if she could interact a bit with people, and this was her way of fulfilling the duty given to her. Yes, this was all for duty, thought Helene.

(...)

The sun was now quite high in the sky, with only a few passing filamentous clouds trying their best to cast some shade on the City. Helene had invited Abigail to have lunch in a restaurant of the coast called "The Mermaid's Eden". It was underwater surrounded by a beautiful, multicolored coral garden inside of which lived innumerable species of fish. Abigail had ordered a massive plate of seafood, while Helene had settled on a lighter salad with a certain oyster muscle sprinkled with lemon.

The two talked a bit about themselves, exchanging pleasantries and having an overall enjoyable time.

"Ah yes, I have a sickness of sorts. A calm life far from the hustle and the bustle of the Center is overall what was prescribed to me."

"Oh I see, that's why you came out from that clinic. That must be hard."

"My doctor also suggested I spend some time with people, but unfortunately I have lived a rather peculiar life which prevented me from forming truly organic bonds. I saw in you some opportunity, I hope you won't hold it against me?"

It was difficult to be mad at such a frail and beautiful smile. Abigail didn't feel lies or any form of danger from Helene's words, she was overall exactly what she said: a sheltered person who looked to make a few friends.
"Ah don't worry. I got to discover such a nice place, and it's cheaper than I thought. When you showed me the place, I really thought it would cost me my salary... haha. Now I feel like I kinda owe you after this, are you free tomorrow? I can show you a nice place, but there may be some annoying guy with me. Not really a friend... you could say I'm her babysitter or something?"

"From your words and expression, I surmise you must have it hard don't you?"

"You have no idea... This guy is obsessed with work and just won't take a break. Even when he is about to collapse, it's all work, work, and more work! I really can't understand him."

Helene glanced bitterly at the thick transparent glass, behind of which an underwater world of life and colours danced. She thought "Ah... I can understand."

"He must surely have his reasons, yes? If it's you, I'm sure you should be able to get through to him if you have an honest discussion. Although, this is just what I think. Pay me no mind if this suggestion sounds preposterous."

Her mouth full of some steamed fish, Abigail pondered the suggestion. After swallowing it all, she nodded with her eyes closed.

"Hmm yeah... you aren't wrong miss. I will try to have an honest heart to heart talk with him. Recently we had something close to that, and it did seem to work. Thanks."

"I am pleased I can be of service. Oh and please, call me Helene. Let us not put distance between us, shall we? I would be honored if you considered me as a friend."

"Ah sorry! Force of habit. I mean, you have that high class boss lady aura, it just makes me instinctively call you miss. I will try to make an effort, Helene. As for us being friends sure! I mean, this feels weird to be so formal, I never had someone ask me to be their friend before. It's the kind of thing that just happens, and it becomes a tacit accord you know?"

The smiling Abigail offered her hand to Helene, who smiled back. And with a gentle shake of hand, they sealed their friendship.

-1 Stress
[Relationship updated]
Opinion with Abigail mutually increased. (x2)

Quote from: Incoming transmission...

Excellent work Matchmaker Beep Boop. You achieved the next mission in record time, you are now one step closer to the truth that is your OTP.

May your pairing prevails!

Mission "The first step toward truth" Completed!
Main Objective Reward: 2 InfoCredit

MISSIONS UPDATED...

Mission Name: Seeds of love
Description: The mission here is simple. Further increase the mutual opinion of Helene and Abigail.
Main Objective: Increase Helene and Abigail's mutual opinion to ++++
Main Objective Reward: 2 InfoCredits

MISSIONS UPDATED...

Mission Name: Eliminate competition
Description: Independent analysis from the Cabal has identified potential threats to the formation of the pairing between Helene and Abigail. Find a compromising Secret on the most likely threat to your pairing, and use it against them to reduce Abigail's opinion of them. The individual in question is none other than David Arwell, the CEO of the Arwell Group and boss of Abigail. We determined Abigail harbors a secret love for him, although she doesn't seem aware of it yet.
Main Objective: Use a Secret concerning David A. to lower Abigail's opinion of him.
Bonus Objective: Achieve the Main Objective without the use of a Secret.
Bonus Objective Reward: 2 InfoCredits

(...)

Helene and Abigail parted in the middle of the afternoon. There was still time before the sunset.

Helene's will to change is still wavering. She is likely to be more prone to stress than usual, tread with caution.

Suggestions for the remainder of the day:
A - Exercise. [Difficulty 2 / Low Confidence canceled by Trust]
On a success: +Confidence -Stress
On a failure: -Trust ++Stress

B - Return home and play instruments. [Default Option]
Outcome: -Stress

C - Go somewhere outside. [Difficulty 3 (Low Willingness) / Low Confidence canceled by Trust]
On a success: Will have an interesting encounter.

D - Contact the flower shop to learn more about the mysterious sender. [Difficulty 3 (Low Willingness) / Low Confidence canceled by Trust]
On a success: May learn a Secret about Helene's past or Al and Eri's Preset suppression.

E - Start plotting her revenge against her family. [Difficulty 4 - 2 (Intellect and Innate Genius) + 2 (Trauma) / Low Confidence canceled by Trust]
On a success: ++Confidence, may gain a new Trait, may increase an Attribute
On a failure: -Trust +++Stress -Sanity

Spoiler: Beep Boop (OTP Cabal) (click to show/hide)

AXIUS and Janus the Monster Secretary

Axius
"Miss Abigail is expected to return sometime soon. I recommend a change of clothes and some standard hygienic rituals before she sees you."

C - Continue working, knowing Abigail is going to come home tonight. [Default Option]
+1 Trust
+1 Stress

After quickly washing his face and changing from the clothes he slept in, Janus resumed working with unwavering intensity. He didn't divert his eyes from his graph when Xin and Rosetta notified him Abigail had arrived, and that they would take their leave. All he gave them was a nod and a formal "Good work today".

The head of security entered the patio with light steps despite her heavy frame. She sighed.

"Absolutely incredible, I read the report and you really did work like a madman. You didn't even eat properly!"

Completely forgetting the prior words of Helene, the face and words of David flashed in her mind "I entrust you with the health of my son". She gritted her fist, and entered some input on a tablet.

"You have 10 minutes to finish what you are doing. Your devices will be jammed and unusable at the end of the timer. After that I want you to at least take a shower. Just look at yourself."

"You what?! Damn it!"

Janus swore, but didn't waste an additional second of his precious ten minutes to do as much as possible, entering an extreme state to miraculously finish everything he was doing. Once the ten minutes were up, the devices used by Janus all stopped as promised, and he remained there silently for a few seconds, fuming. But he didn't dare pouring his frustrations on Abigail, he knew it would be futile and he was partly aware he had it coming. About to burst, he just silently headed for the shower where he remained a minute longer than usual.

Emerging refreshed and a little bit calmed from a hot, near scalding shower, Janus asked a question to Abigail.

"Now what?"

There was something slightly odd with Abigail in Janus opinion. There seemed to be something on her mind, and after a moment of internal debate she gave up and took a chair.
"Alright... I know it's rich coming from me, but I want to have a talk. About your work addiction." She disregarded the angry gaze Janus was giving her. "I promise after this I will disable the jam and let you work or do whatever you want. I really just want to have an honest discussion between adults."

When the Ogre (Janus had started calling Abigail this in her mind) made a promise, it was serious business. And she never broke a promise, that Janus knew.
"Go on."

"Why do you need to work so much? You are a rational guy, you know having some degree of balance would improve your productivity, and yet you are obstinate into working like you do. I just don't understand, and neither does your dad."

Closing his eyes, Janus put his feelings into order. Now was not the time to be swayed by his prior frustration, and he had to answer honestly to Abigail. He also took a seat.
"I already told you, but work is like my lifeblood. In the sense that... I guess I can't feel alive unless I work. And I also have a huge debt toward the old m- my father. He gave me a home, a family. He made me what I am, and I am eternally grateful. That's my way of giving back the life he gave me."

"Do you need to... burn like this?"

Janus mused, and thoughts he didn't like talking about surfaced.
"I can tell you on one condition. No word to father. Do you promise me?"

Abigail made a conflicted face, and finally accepted.
"Alright. But I can only promise to remain silent until he asks me that question."

"Fine by me."

The sun had already crossed the horizon, dying the skies into a palette of fiery crimson and orange with streaks of blue. Janus gazed at the distant horizon, unable to say what he had on his heart while looking at another person's face.

"I feel dead if I don't work, if my mind is not fully focused on working. Before father adopted me, something broke inside of me from all the shit I went through in the warzones. When you are a child who had to hide under the corpses of your family to hide from pillagers, you become possessed by some demon. He knows of my past and my hardships, but he thinks I recovered and forgot. I haven't. Never will. Every minutes when my mind can think for itself, I see the bloodied face of my brother. I don't even remember his name, but I remember in vivid details the hole inside his skull, through which I could see the boots covered in mud and entrails from the pillager."

"Fuck... I'm really sorry."

"Don't. That's who I am, and what I am. I need to burn like a pyre to give my life meaning, and justify my survival over the others. Did I answer your question?"

Abigail nodded. And although she wanted to give some emotional relief to Janus who just confided, she couldn't. The man was like a wall of stone that refused all warmth. She took the tablet and entered another input, and said with a harsh voice.

"I have disabled the jammer. Not because I fell sorry for you, but because I promised you. Thanks for telling me, if you need to talk... I'm willing to listen okay?"

Silently nodding, Janus returned to his desk and resumed working.

(Shit... I really stepped on one heck of a landmine.)

Suggestions for the night:
A - Suggest seeing a therapist tonight. [Difficulty 3 (Low Willingness)]
On a success: +Sanity, May have an interesting encounter
On a failure: -Trust

B - Work all night until he collapses. [Default Option]
Outcome: +Sanity

C - Deepen your relationship by asking him more about his past, and emphasize with him. [Difficulty 3 (Low Willingness)]
On a success: +Trust
On a failure: -Trust -Sanity

D - Relax, go outside. Do something other than work to occupy his mind. [Difficulty 4 (Low Willingness)]
On a success: -Stress, may have an interesting encounter
On a failure: -Trust +Stress

T1000 and Archie the Lazy Genius

Option B.

Don't have it in me to write in-character right now, but given the timeframe of the Matchmaker program, he's going to have to put in the effort. Yes, I recognise the irony.
While it might be nice to meet new people, as it stands, he should work on strengthening his existing relationships rather than just accumulating a larger pool of casual acquaintances.

I have an interesting idea for my pairing slots, but I think I will hold off for now.
In retrospect, there's literally no reason to bother waiting since the slots can arbitrarily be changed now.
Assign one pairing slot to Archie×Leon. Assign one pairing slot to Archie×Sven. Assign one pairing slot to Sven×Leon.
The OTP Cabal are gonna be so jealous.

Pairing Slot 1: Archie x Leon
Pairing Slot 2: Archie x Sven
Pairing Slot 3: Sven x Leon

B - Go along with Rimm's suggestion. [4 (Lazy) - 2 (High Trust)]
Roll: [3] (Success!)

Reluctantly at first, Archie finally caved in after you listed all the benefits you calculated from further interactions. He then sent a message on the group conversation, confirming his presence today.

Quote from: Group Conversation
ARC: "About today, I'm free."
E_X333: "Yaaaay, how about we meet up at (...)"
Le FluffyRanger: <OK emoji>
ARC: <OK emoji>
rumi: "Oh right sorry. I'm a bit busy today, count me out."
E_X333: "Okay! See you later then! Oh and Meri won't be there to day, she had a last minute urgent thing to do."

After playing a bit, Archie prepared himself and went outside under the bright blue skies. The light of the sun made him grimace in discomfort.

(...)

The trio met at the arcade, it was there first time together here but all of them were familiar with this particular place.

"I'm so glad you guys came! Alright, we can start with... ah no! I know, we can have a friendly competition. Everyone gets to pick a game, and the winner of a bout gain a point. First winner at five?"

Flaring with competition, Archie accepted the challenge.
"Sure! I warn you, I'm not going to hold back!"

Rimm made a fist bump with a "That's the spirit!" attitude, and Leon simply said there was no problem for him. The trio then spent then first hours of the morning blazing through the arcade. Archie had a lead on the other two, and Rimm was dead last. This was not surprising in the least considering Rimm was a very casual player, but everyone was nonetheless having a lot of fun, with their little competition mostly being an excuse to try a lot of different games.

"Woah, this is my win. I can't believe it."

They had just finished playing some kind of competitive dungeon crawler game, which Leon just won.

Both Rimm and Archie were lamenting their losses.
"I can't believe I died so early... roguelikes are hard."
"If it weren't for that trap on the last floor... oh well that's RNG. That's my loss."

"Thanks! It's your turn to choose Rimm."

"Alright! This time another rhythm game, I will show you hehe. It's just around the corner, follow me- wha?!"

Rimm nearly bumped into a young boy.

"Rimm?"

A most bizarre sound escaped the mouth of Rimm, as if a chicken had just choked on something.
"B-bwah?! Ahahaha! Eh, aaaah, I'm kinda busy right now sorry!"

Rimm pulled the two men with her with a grip that showed more strength than Archie imagined. He had a glance at the boy. He was actually some young man of short stature, with such a juvenile face he looked very young.

"Who was that? Did you know him?"

"No? Uh, yes? That's not important is it? He must have mistaken me for someone else, there are a lot of other Rimms you know?"

"No but really-"

Archie felt a strong grip crushing his arm, and Rimm gave her a look unlike her usual cheerful and sociable self, clearly suggesting he drops the issue.

[Relationships updated]
Opinion mutually increased with Rimm
Opinion mutually increased with Leon

Well done Matchmaker T1000. Your Host network has grown, and so did the amount of opportunities presented to him. The mission will remain active until 4 friends are reached.

Keep your momentum going.

Mission "Starting with friendships" Partially Completed!
Partial Reward: 2 InfoCredits

MISSIONS UPDATED...

Mission Name: More than friends
Description: Now that Archie has people he can consider his friends, the next step would be for him to develop an attraction for someone. It does not have to come from his circle of friends or acquaintances of course.
Main Objective: Increase opinion of Archie for someone, or increase someone's opinion of Archie to ♥

Suggestions
A - Drop the issue. [Default Outcome]
Outcome: Increased opinion from Rimm

B - Insist on getting an answer [2 (Lazy) - 2 (High Trust) + 1 (Intimidated)]
On a success: Will learn more about the mysterious boy.
On a failure: -Trust, Decreased Opinion from Rimm

C - Say he needs to go to the toilet, and go after the mysterious boy [4 (Lazy) - 2 (High Trust) + 1 (Intimidated)]
On a success: Will have an interesting encounter.
On a failure: -Trust, Decreased Opinion from Rimm, +Stress

Spoiler: Archie the Lazy Genius (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: T1000 (ORHA) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:11:21 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2022, 10:17:24 pm »

(Mwehehe, this turn was fun to write. Janus drama, a totally not coincidence to meet some character in the arcade, and the revelation about Abigail...)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2022, 11:21:37 pm »

AXIUS
Additional Review: I would like to perform an additional double check on the recommended actions. Would option B have the effect currently written of increasing sanity and decreasing stress?

If this is correct, then it appears that the best thing that I could do for Janus right now would be nothing at all...

Though I will observe him while he works and check for any mistakes that he might miss while in an exhausted state. If I find any errors then I will bring them to his attention tomrrow.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:00:59 am by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2022, 11:30:37 pm »

AXIUS
Additional Review: I would like to perform an additional double check on the recommended actions. Would option B have the effect currently written of increasing sanity and decreasing stress?

If this is correct, then it appears that the best thing that I could do for Janus right now would be nothing at all...

Though I will observe him while he works and check for any mistakes that he might miss while in an exhausted state. If I find any errors then I will bring them to his attention tomrrow.

Yes, my bad. Option B was only supposed to restore Sanity. Also Option A should have a as a guaranteed outcome "May have an interesting encounter".

I'm editing these.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2022, 12:15:14 am »

Honestly, it still seems like the correct answer.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2022, 12:17:22 am »

Option B. Not the right time to push my luck, and that'll be a secondary objective complete.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2022, 12:48:53 am »

Honestly, it still seems like the correct answer.
All answers are correct!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2022, 12:55:28 am »

((Also, let me praise you again for writing this, Nakeen. I'm having a good time.))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18