Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament - FINISHED  (Read 16200 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament - Entrants 7/?
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2022, 02:22:45 pm »

Requesting a review for my own Frankenstein; I think the exploit I mentioned in the thread (using it to play spells from the discard pile instead of creatures) is a really big problem, and I'm willing to take the risk of further nerfing to patch it. Also requesting a review for Call of the Grave, which is strong in any deck (it's very easy to draw lots of cards right now) and beyond broken in ones that benefit from discarding cards.

e: probably going to do this, but I want to think about my options a bit more first
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 02:24:45 pm by Elephant Parade »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2022, 02:25:46 pm »

I'd ask why that card targets both discard piles, but can take a guess. (Cult-Cult-Cult)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2022, 02:32:54 pm »

I'd ask why that card targets both discard piles, but can take a guess. (Cult-Cult-Cult)
That's more Resurrection Man's purpose. Frankenstein targets both discard piles because I think stealing your opponent's monster effects is hilarious.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 03, 2022, 04:14:33 pm »

Could've sworn I'd already posted this, but: for my Design Phase, I will review Call of the Grave (see above) and Grand Canyon (there is literally no reason not to run this at six). I will solve the Frankenspell problem by not using it on spells and politely requesting that anyone else who runs it do the same. (I actually submitted it with a cards-with-hearts-only limitation. NQT, you fiend!)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2022, 04:21:19 pm »

:)

Anyway, for my Design Phase, cards already sent in. Banning the Gift.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2022, 06:26:49 pm »

Elephant Parade wins vs TricMagic. Both enter their design phase.

With Frankenstein, I though the non-hearts cards would not be worth choosing when playing the card, as they only have on-play effects which in my initial conceptualisation wouldn't trigger. But that didn't actually translate into the wording. If it's a problem it can always be revised.

Gift enters the ban list.

Call of the Grave and Grand Canyon I'll probably revise tomorrow, but on first appearance I would think:

- Call of the Grave should, at the least, no longer be quickplay. Restricting it to non-token cards with hearts would also avoid some of the more overblown combos.
- Grand Canyon: change from "reveal" to "play", so it's just a normal card.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2022, 06:29:21 pm »

Wait, Call of the Grave is quickplay? Lmao

e: I think Canyon's effect being on-reveal is an interesting design space that fits with what Terrain cards do; it's just way too strong, largely because the extra card means that even if you don't play it and don't need the star, drawing it instead of another card has no downside. If it had worse stats and only gave a star, not a card, I think it'd be balanced with other quickplay stargen cards. (It should probably have stats on the level of a 0*, maybe a point or two higher.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:34:39 pm by Elephant Parade »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2022, 06:35:03 pm »

Elephant Parade wins vs TricMagic. Both enter their design phase.

With Frankenstein, I though the non-hearts cards would not be worth choosing when playing the card, as they only have on-play effects which in my initial conceptualisation wouldn't trigger. But that didn't actually translate into the wording. If it's a problem it can always be revised.

Will remind you that being able to replay a powerful spell is it's own strength. Especially if you play one to make a superspell, and then use it to replay that superspell. (One breaker would be using it on Divine Lambitures in the GY. So if it hits three, you get nine numbers out at minimum, or Nine stars. Replay at your leisure.) Could also use Verdant Growth as the base card, netting you 6 and letting you play 3 cards. Though the discard requirement is a bit rougher.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2022, 06:37:09 pm »

Of course, nobody here would use Frankenstein on a spell, right? ...Right?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2022, 06:40:24 pm »

Of course, nobody here would use Frankenstein on a spell, right? ...Right?
(Looks at old Cult deck.) Sure, let's go with that.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2022, 06:43:24 pm »

Canyon being a card you don't usually want to play, but gives you a star and clogs up your hand might be OK. It's a reasonable point that half of the theme of the cards is the nonsurprise, with effects on hand reveal. In that sense, it's no more powerful than a Cosmic Isopod. Maybe even slightly worse.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2022, 06:56:56 pm »

note for other players: if you ban or rare Frankenstein, I will cry. This is a threat. If the prospect of Frankensorcery terrifies you as much as it does me and you don't have faith that everyone will leave this particular M.A.D. device alone, the review button is the perfect fix. (It could also use clarification on how the process of creation works—is it a 0-cost quickplay card that creates, but does not play, the fused Frankenstein? Or is it an X-cost card that lets you pick the components you want to a maximum of X stars, then play the result "for free"? I think the former has less potential for abuse, though it'd have one notable advantage over the latter.)

One breaker would be using it on Divine Lambitures in the GY. So if it hits three, you get nine numbers out at minimum, or Nine stars. Replay at your leisure.
Getting nine Numbers out of a Frankenlambiture would actually require all six Divine Lambitures in the graveyard, since Frankenstein exiles the ones used in its creation and doesn't become a Divine Lambiture itself. (Its name doesn't change, and Divine Lambiture's effect refers to itself by name.) You could get decent results starting at four Lambitures, though.

Canyon being a card you don't usually want to play, but gives you a star and clogs up your hand might be OK. It's a reasonable point that half of the theme of the cards is the nonsurprise, with effects on hand reveal. In that sense, it's no more powerful than a Cosmic Isopod. Maybe even slightly worse.
You know, a 0/1 quickplay stargen blocker is actually pretty strong for a 0-cost card. Maybe even too strong. Maybe even stronger than Generous Gift. Hey, you know what we should do? We should unban G

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2022, 06:57:53 pm »

note for other players: if you ban or rare Frankenstein, I will cry. This is a threat. If the prospect of Frankensorcery terrifies you as much as it does me and you don't have faith that everyone will leave this particular M.A.D. device alone, the review button is the perfect fix. (It could also use clarification on how the process of creation works—is it a 0-cost quickplay card that creates, but does not play, the fused Frankenstein? Or is it an X-cost card that lets you pick the components you want to a maximum of X stars, then play the result "for free"? I think the former has less potential for abuse, though it'd have one notable advantage over the latter.)

I wasn't tempted to until you promised to cry :-/
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2022, 07:06:49 pm »

For Grand Canyon, it shouldn't net you a free draw, but a free star only. That helps play it or lets it act as a quickplay-type star gen. Other than that it has the stats of a 1 star card, which is fine. (Maybe lose a point of Heart.)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2022, 07:14:06 pm »

I wasn't tempted to until you promised to cry :-/
I will cry, but after I finish crying, I will open up brokencombos.txt and use them all on you

For Grand Canyon, it shouldn't net you a free draw, but a free star only. That helps play it or lets it act as a quickplay-type star gen. Other than that it has the stats of a 1 star card, which is fine. (Maybe lose a point of Heart.)
No, it can't have anywhere close to the stats of a 1-star card. Think about it: a 2-star card that gives you a star when you draw it essentially costs one star to play, so by default, it should have the stats of a 1-star card. But Grand Canyon, unlike a 1-star card, gives you a star that you can spend on anything you want. That flexibility has to be worth at least 3-5 points—maybe more, since you can even use Grand Canyon as discard fodder.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26