Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament - FINISHED  (Read 16132 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament - Entrants 4/?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2022, 05:35:28 pm »

Absolutely fine. Indeed, I would prefer that, as it's less work for me! The existing cards can be any cards in the repository (that aren't marked as illegal).

Well, I'm a bit sorry to say, but I've found inspiration to develop out one of my concept decks from my google spreadsheet unfortunately, so uh, expect a selection of card images to be maid and sent shortly.
Haha, well I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2022, 05:48:52 pm »

Enough players have initial decks now, or are planning on building them, so we can formally begin!

CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament

The all-star card champions of yesteryear gather once more to do battle!

ROUND ONE

First Design Phase

This is a special design phase where you may submit a whole deck (or part of a deck). I will give players until the end of Friday (all time zones) to send me cards (most of you have already done this). Anyone without a deck by Saturday can join in later.

OPTIONAL: Players may also pick one card in the depository to permanently ban for the rest of the tournament OR two cards to make Rare. If a card is made Rare, it cannot be banned, but only one may appear in a deck. You cannot pre-emptively ban or make Rare any card created in the same phase.

We will begin the combat phase on Saturday, or before if everyone makes their decks and submits their ban/rare picks early.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2022, 05:53:16 pm »

Honestly, my biggest issue is going to be 'picking only 10 cards to make a starter deck with', I have like, almost a full 20 ideas, maybe more.

Also I will say that I have concerns about the ban mechanic. Namely, what's to stop a player from just deciding "hey, fuck your deck" and banning one of a players critical cards to cripple their deck. Not because the card is unbalanced or unfair, just to destroy that player?

If it was 'petition to ban' and it was a case where multiple players had to agree, sure, but what's stopping someone from just seeing I have star costing cards in my deck but only a few star generators and just banning my star generators? If I chose to stick to my theme for the sake of fun rather than just pulling whatever card I could to fill slots for the sake of winning that could quickly render some players unable to continue. In the case of simple cards that are just alternate themes or objective downgrades of other cards, would it then also count towards the other versions of that card?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:42:01 pm by Failbird105 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2022, 06:41:45 pm »

Also I will say that I have concerns about the ban mechanic. Namely, what's to stop a player from just deciding "hey, fuck your deck" and banning one of a players critical cards to cripple their deck. Not because the card is unbalanced or unfair, just to destroy that player?

I thought that was the intent
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2022, 06:44:41 pm »

I assumed the intent was to stop unfair cards that can't really be countered, like many cards in CYOGTCG Wars keep getting declared to be. If one can just decide to deny the enemy player as little as their basic star generators then the card creation elements of the game become less about creating cards and more about dodging the ban mehcanic.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2022, 06:52:06 pm »

I assumed the intent was to stop unfair cards that can't really be countered, like many cards in CYOGTCG Wars keep getting declared to be. If one can just decide to deny the enemy player as little as their basic star generators then the card creation elements of the game become less about creating cards and more about dodging the ban mehcanic.

There's got to be a dozen star generator cards you can use?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2022, 06:58:16 pm »

Sure, but if I want to actually stick to a deck theme for the sake of fun instead of slapping the best cards together just to win then there's only so many good images and flavorings to be found for any given mechanic. Eventually persistence on the banning players end would just leave me with a non-functional deck.

The idea that every single player just has a free-use "ruin fun" button is the sort of thing that makes me antsy to say the least.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2022, 07:07:34 pm »

Sure, but if I want to actually stick to a deck theme for the sake of fun instead of slapping the best cards together just to win then there's only so many good images and flavorings to be found for any given mechanic. Eventually persistence on the banning players end would just leave me with a non-functional deck.

The idea that every single player just has a free-use "ruin fun" button is the sort of thing that makes me antsy to say the least.

Pick waifus and you have unlimited images and flavorings.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2022, 01:00:38 am »

The spirit of the rule is to give players a way to work around (especially old) poorly priced cards. A good example is Join The Cause from my first Anarchist deck, which is way too cheap for its effect, and could be unfun to work against.

But look, if it turns out to be less fun in practice, I can always later amend the rule to something like: Review instead of ban, which would send a card back to be recosted. So, still present and useful but less powerful (and if someone tries to Review a perfectly balanced card, it would just come back unchanged).

But let's see where this goes. I think everyone can act with good sportsmanship.

Update: I think everyone has a deck they can play (though one player may yet submit some cards). If anyone wants to jump the gun, feel free to PM me your deck lists (the names of the 40 cards you will field).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:20:34 am by notquitethere »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament - Entrants 5/?
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2022, 04:49:32 pm »

As long as there's some reasonable moderation on the Ban feature I won't be too worried. If something like Star Tortoise/Star Wish Waifu or no-effect beatsticks are on the chopping block then it's going to be very easy to abuse the system to create no-fun zones instead of actually dealing with Problem Cards.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2022, 04:50:51 pm »

There's nothing stopping players from making near-identical cards to banned cards using their three designs so I wouldn't worry too much.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2022, 04:53:31 pm »

There's nothing stopping players from making near-identical cards to banned cards using their three designs so I wouldn't worry too much.
The thing stopping it is potential lack of on-theme images mainly.

There's also the fact that if you can just make a new version of a banned card then the system is utterly pointless and the only purpose it serves is to stop players that would rather build decks for thematic fun than pure effectiveness. Literally the opposite of the systems intent.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2022, 05:01:16 pm »

The thing stopping it is potential lack of on-theme images mainly.

There's also the fact that if you can just make a new version of a banned card then the system is utterly pointless and the only purpose it serves is to stop players that would rather build decks for thematic fun than pure effectiveness. Literally the opposite of the systems intent.

He just told you the purpose was to remove old overpowered cards, presumably attempts to recreate them will be met with newer ideas of how powerful a card would be :-/

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2022, 06:02:20 pm »

He just told you the purpose was to remove old overpowered cards, presumably attempts to recreate them will be met with newer ideas of how powerful a card would be :-/
You know that's an entirely fair point. It's entirely possible I'm not thinking completely straight right now considering every day of work finds a new completely different way to be horrendous.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2022, 09:57:09 am »

Everyone has a deck now and no one's expressed an interest in banning, so I'm going to speed things up and go right ahead to...

Combat Phase

Everyone, send me a list of 40 cards, with no more than 6 copies of any one card, as soon as you can.

Optionally, you may challenge another player, who may accept or decline. I will pair up any accepted challenges first and then randomly assign everyone else.

As we have an odd number, one person will sit out of this round (probably the last person to send me a deck list). Everyone will all eventually have the same number of bouts (currently 8 battles each), so don't worry about sitting out. You will only get to participate in a design building phase if you have fought in the previous combat phase (so that everyone has the same number of new cards throughout the tournament).

New players may still join at any time. If the phases get out of sequence for different people, that's OK too.

Spoiler: Rankings (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26