Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 42741 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2023, 10:25:44 am »

That's hilarious :D

I have to say I'm a bit impressed by the lawyer being able to own it in the middle of an interview like that. I'm not sure I would have the wherewithal to not double down on an embarrassing mistake like that on a live broadcast in front of lots of people. I'm pretty sure the part of my brain that still reasons lime a 5-year-old would have taken over at that point
It's like the most anxious dreams all come to life

(Do the Brittele really have news shows where people jeer like that though?)
Like Morley says, GB news is an attempt to create a private propaganda wing

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2023, 11:05:29 am »

GBNews doesn't really count as a proper news channel most of the time, it's basically "Wannabe Fox News". They more or less openly exist to push a narrative rather than to actually...ya know, report on the news.
Never actually seen any GBN (not yet watched the linked clip yet), and everything I'm hearing (not just from "the rest of the media", nor only from those who personally dislike the channel) makes me believe that the channel (and anyone who takes up a position with the channel) does not reflect any reasonable viewpoint at all.

I think their tagline is "Britain's News Channel", but I'd put plenty of other places ahead of them in fulfilling that promise. And the amount of problems they've suffered (including what seems like schadenfreude, if not entirely self-afflicted) hasn't helped improve my opinion of their professionalism.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2023, 08:21:07 am »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/04/12/joe-biden-us-president-oust-power-liz-truss-prime-minister/

Liz Truss continues her descent. Before long she'll be doing press conferences from a mental hospital treating her for paranoid schizophrenia.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2023, 08:48:41 am »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/04/12/joe-biden-us-president-oust-power-liz-truss-prime-minister/

Liz Truss continues her descent. Before long she'll be doing press conferences from a mental hospital treating her for paranoid schizophrenia.
Heh, she's still no Trumpy.
You Brits are too hard on your politicians, apparently.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2023, 09:55:54 am »

Quote from: Maggie's failed heiress
Last autumn, I had a major setback …
Understatement.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 11:56:19 am by Starver »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2023, 10:40:37 am »

Yeah all these people not wanting to see the UK economy collapse, what a bunch of wankers!

She’s a fairly typical Tory, thinking that people are too stupid to notice that she was the one that fucked up, and if she says otherwise enough times people will believe it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 15, 2023, 07:25:58 pm »

Yeah all these people not wanting to see the UK economy collapse, what a bunch of wankers!

She’s a fairly typical Tory politicians, thinking that people are too stupid to notice that she was the one that fucked up, and if she says otherwise enough times people will believe it.
Fixed that for you, but again maybe you Brits aren't as bad as US Americans on that front.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2023, 02:34:38 pm »

I think there's much to be said about how no one wants the UK economy to collapse, but it also needs to acknowledge the whole problem of the financial services and its ancillary boys and girls in fintech, accounting, insurance, law and fraud to stop cannibalising all productivity in the UK for profits that just eat up the lives and power of the UK people in the long run

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2023, 09:31:47 am »

Well, there you go. The UK's much-heralded National Alert System test just happened. I'd actually forgotten about it (though I think some roadside dot-matrix signs mentioned, when I passed the the other day... Dumfries, I think it was).

So, anyway, as predicted my "dumbphone" did nothing (it's supposed to be tied to 4G/5G things, this one apparently has 3G but I don't know what for as I've never had anything to do with data... One menu item is an "Apps Manager", but never used it for more than voice and SMS).

My tablet, running offline (was in the middle of an Idle-Game, while listening to some old radio recordings off of the computer) didn't make any sound[1], despite the suggestion that it should. (I had Ring, Notification and Alarm on full-volume, only Media was slid down to zero...  But the suggestion was that it was unmutable without changing a more in-depth setting that I'm fairly sure I've never bothered with.) The message that popped over the game (which froze, until I dismissed the overlay, and didn't even give me acces to the volume draw-down element so disabled UI-level stuff) had a URL to click but I didn't try it (would not connect, anyway, until I made either Wifi or Mobile[3] connectivity active), and dismissal resumed things. Should have tried a screenshot (for my own fun and amusement only), but don't know if it would have worked as I didn't think of it until right now.

So, perhaps we'll hear more about how it went in the news, tonight. And hopefully not have so much idle or erroneous uses of it. I already get far too many text alerts from my mobile provider saying that there's maintenance going to go on in a postcode area (near) where I sometimes have loitered in the past, just in case I happen to be going back there whilst it is ongoing.

[1] There was all the fuss about vulnerable people having to disable/turn-off their "secret phones" so that abusers/gaslighters couldn't discover their lifeline equipment, and I wonder how many awkward situations have occured[2] because of not being heeded correctly, including contraband prison-phones and other less worthy exceptions)

[2] Also, a very short-term uptick in road-accidents, by those who couldn't not illegally fiddle with their devices when driving. Just as others nearby are likewise distracted in that same window of misipportunity!

[3] I wonder if it's exempt from data-plan limits, like the service-provider "boost your plan"/etc pages are. ISPs/mobile companies ought to enable that for such addresses, if it's important, as it might catch some people out otherwise.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2023, 09:57:36 am »

My phone didn't do anything despite being on the supposedly compatible list so....erm, yeah xD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 23, 2023, 04:32:13 pm »

So, perhaps we'll hear more about how it went in the news, tonight.
Heh, the news will probably be the only folks who report it went well...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2023, 04:41:07 am »

(There were indeed shots of people, in public, all reacting. A bit like the Doctor Who episode where they found themselves on alternate-universe Pete's Planet in the lead-up to the Cybermen reboot, but with less standing still. And apparently they only reached 80% of compatible phones, one of the providers having technical issues, but with some of those crossing/hovering near the England-Wales border in the half-hour period getting both "English" and "Bilingual" versions, separately. But, anyway, enough of that, came back in only with the following...)

I wasn't aware that this legal change was so seriously on the cards as to now be a thing now to be done.

As I never talk about any of the actual details of my own time on a jury (as a matter of principle), I cannot openly reflect on the difference between having and not having the option (or the number of people involved), but it still has me thinking about it again.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 26, 2023, 07:48:11 am »

The measures will also see the number of jurors in criminal trials reduced from 15 to 12.
why an even number? Isn't courts usually prefer an odd one to avoid the tie scenario. Or is this not relevant for how jurors work in the UK.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2023, 08:22:25 am »

Previously it required 8/15 to convict. They're keeping the requirement for 8 jurors to agree on Guilty, but dropping the total to 12.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2023, 02:58:50 am »

Ah yes, the classic "Let no guilty man go free, irregardless of the number of innocent souls we must extinguish".

EDIT: To be clear, that is mainly focused on the overall changes.  I'm an American, so I think all jurors should convict for a guilty verdict.
But I have those mean and nasty thoughts about that word every prosecutor hates to hear: Innocence.
Like seriously, if you ever get a chance to talk to a Prosecutor, just use the word Innocent and see how their faces contort in hatred & disgust.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39