Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 28534 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2022, 12:31:36 pm »

Any action Rishi takes in the UK will cause someone to hate him. Even the goodwill political-solution of throwing money at families/kids will be attacked because the financial crisis is making people callous to others. So, he goes to Ukraine where the audience will remain outwardly polite if he only offers words.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2022, 03:14:06 pm »

...Throwing money at people in crisises is not goodwill (especially when it's money thag will be directly rerouted towards your capitalist friends). It's a very bread and circus way to appease angry people so you don't have to acknowledge the systematic failures that had put them in financial peril to begin with, let alone change the system to be better to people.
Love, scriver~

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2022, 02:46:08 pm »

Yeah, I should have double-quoted the word "goodwill" that statement.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #228 on: November 21, 2022, 07:18:20 am »

Any action Rishi takes in the UK will cause someone to hate him. Even the goodwill political-solution of throwing money at families/kids will be attacked because the financial crisis is making people callous to others. So, he goes to Ukraine where the audience will remain outwardly polite if he only offers words.
Obviously any action will cause someone to hate him, but there are actions he can take to make himself beloved to the public, e.g. price caps on gas would piss off a bunch of oil executives but who cares? Unfortunately, Rishi cares more about money than he does people, the moment he said he and his wife "pay as much tax as they are legally required" was the moment I knew he would just be another Tory looter

(Rishi's gone to visit Volodymyr... maybe he's needing to distract from bad news dogging him at home, just like Boris? Ok, so Liz never went there (I think), but then she didn't do much of that sort of thing at all - even with fellow UK leaderships.)
Liz Truss was very pro-Ukraine, probably even moreso than Boris. Whether or not Rishi's done it for image, it was fairly necessary for him to go just to reassure the Ukrainians that the UK's comedy leadership roulette wouldn't jeopardise UK support to Ukraine, which has been vital since 2012 to ongoing military development

Also just the fact that Vladimir's rival is a man called Volodymyr is priceless

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2022, 10:59:01 am »

(Rishi's gone to visit Volodymyr... maybe he's needing to distract from bad news dogging him at home, just like Boris? Ok, so Liz never went there (I think), but then she didn't do much of that sort of thing at all - even with fellow UK leaderships.)
Liz Truss was very pro-Ukraine, probably even moreso than Boris. Whether or not Rishi's done it for image, it was fairly necessary for him to go just to reassure the Ukrainians that the UK's comedy leadership roulette wouldn't jeopardise UK support to Ukraine, which has been vital since 2012 to ongoing military development
Oh, I think it's something I definitely support (providing support, in person or otherwise), but the mirroring was too obvious not to mention. And while Truss even effectively went "yeah, ex-British Army guys, you should definitely go and sign up in Ukraine... have you got a packed lunch?", it was just that her shortest (non-deputising, leaving alive) premiership seemed to have very little time even for calling Scotland or Wales on the phone, and definitely didn't get to follow her lads over there...

Also just the fact that Vladimir's rival is a man called Volodymyr is priceless
In the early days (perhaps even in slightly before, when everyone was still wondering whether the massing Russians/Belorussians might even take that final step forward) there was a memorable inteview with a Kiev ("Keev!") resident where the obviously mainly-Russia-based newsman introduced a random talking-head they'd found on the street as Valadimir and was politely corrected.

I'm no linguist (a monoglot am I!) but I've occasionally started to think I get an inkling of the basic vowel-shift between Russian and Ukrainian (and other related differences, like Dnipr/Dnipro) such that I might vainly imagine that I could recognise which sort of person I'm listening to, as with Kiwis vs. Aussies but with slightly less unintelligable language. ;)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2022, 07:42:23 pm »

Whatever happened to Liz Truss after being removed from office? Is she still even in politics?

lol

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2022, 08:50:58 pm »

Volodymyr and Vladimir are both descendants of the Viking name Waldemar from the time of Kyivan Rus'.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2022, 09:25:55 pm »

Whatever happened to Liz Truss after being removed from office? Is she still even in politics?

lol
Continuing as a backbencher. I don't recall much of her piping up as one, yet (unlike May, for example, but like Johnson as a contrary example) but I think once-bitten, etc..

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2022, 10:50:32 am »

Volodymyr and Vladimir are both descendants of the Viking name Waldemar from the time of Kyivan Rus'.

No, that's the other way around: Valdemar is considered a Swedish cognate of Vlaolodyimiyr (the unbiased version :P ) that spread back to Scandinavia through the Rowmen*/ur-Rus. As far as I know at least. While it technically could be construed as as having meaning in Swedish in that it could be separated into words that mean things, Valdemar doesn't fit into any of the known naming patterns/construction words of Scandinavian people, while if we look at Vladimir/Volodomyr at least -Mir is a common slavic name part and I think Vlad- also occurs in other names, but I can't think of any one at the moment.

* The originate of the word Rus is believed to be Roslagen, the archipelago outside the coast of Sweland (the tribal lands of the Swes, not Sweden), which is believes to mean "the Rowing Lands" or something luke that
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2022, 11:10:25 am »

>Vlad the implyer

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2022, 11:15:42 am »

Bonus fax: the current demonym for the people of Roslagen is Rospiggar, as the folk etymology of Roslagen has changed the "Ros" part from being construed from Ro ("Row"/"Rowing") to Ros ("Rose"). Rospiggar means "rose thorns" or maybe "rose pricks"
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2022, 01:35:40 pm »

(From LGBTQetc thread...)
God save our gracious NHS

No really, please God, save our NHS

Discussions on Any Questions/Any Answers (yesterday and/) today on Radio 4. Not about the above subset of the topic, but a general feeling (and actual accusations to that effect) that the Tories (not unhelped by Blair) are trying to drive it to fail and be fully privatised.

This aint really LGBTQIA++ stuff, though, so cutting this and pasting it in the more correct thread. Right, here we are.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2022, 03:24:17 pm »

Of course they are, don’t you know that running things like a business is the best and most efficient way of doing things?

Of course if someone can’t afford a basic human need like healthcare, that’s just their problem. They should get a job.m

But they’re already employed!

Er… they should get a better job.

They don’t have the training or experience!

Well then they should get it then.

They’re already working full-time!

They should’ve been born better then.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2023, 08:27:42 am »

New plans to widen police powers for disruptive protests
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64282962

Bill Text:
https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/49143/documents/2653

I think I see some problems in this bill. If it would not be rude of me, I'd like to detail what I (likely incorrectly) am thinking in my ignorance seems to be potentially problematic in a later post if my clumsy intrusion into London politics is not unwelcome, if I may have the allowance and  assistance of the local Brits (though this bill if enacted would only apply in England and Wales) in examining this bill and in helping me to understand things better, as I certainly am not qualified via distance to see or say what goes there.

I also should note I didn't spend any time reading about the predecessor laws that this bill adds onto, or how they have been applied. I simply read about this bill on the bbc, reluctantly brought myself to click on the bill text, and was fascinated by it.

One very important bit I can't figure out: how is serious disruption defined by the Home Secretary? All I could find were various speculations by article writers and even MPs sprinkled through the past months, though I admit I am getting sleepy, and so my search has been short as I am heading off to bed. I haven't used all the possible combinations of search grammar that may yet find a result with more effort. Is there a place the term serious disruption is defined as by the Home Secretary (who was to set the meaning if a few search results were correct)? How this is defined is crucial to interpreting this bill.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:45:22 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2023, 10:19:40 am »

A brief reminder of why we Americans broke off from you lot...

Blocking roads is a commonly accepted protest tactic in the US. Nobody likes it, but the cops generally don't get into a fight over it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35