Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 28076 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2022, 05:15:23 am »

Interestingly (and depressingly) trans acceptance has fallen in the UK compared to a few years back. Presumably because we've become the current hot topic culture war issue, and the media's been more than happy to stoke that flame.

Or possibly because one of the most culturally-significant authors in the world has led a decade-long campaign backed by multiple national newspapers against every aspect of trans identity?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2022, 07:31:40 am »

My perspective of what topics dominate discussion in my area is;

1. Economic crisis & energy prices. No way around it. I speak to rich people and they are talking about hunkering down and moving back to their home countries. Upper-middle class are freaking the fuck out because they didn't bother to pay off their actuals on their mortgages, supposing that the time of unexampled cheap money would last forever. Middle class the same, but worse, with one exception to an architect who thought everything was fine because we weren't getting bombed. Young middle class talk about just opting out of society because there's no point working five days a weak only for work to eat up their wages in expenses. I spoke to working class albanian chaps and they were working two jobs and pooling all of their money together to buy one communal house because rents had risen £350. One of my patients told me that his drug dealer was far more afraid of gas prices than getting arrested or stabbed. People on the lower to no-income scale are also getting much more desperate and emotional, because things are getting more desperate and it's straining all of their relationships. E.g. we had one of our nurses pay patients their expenses out of pocket because the patients were going to withdraw from the clinical trial unless they could get their expenses fee straight away. Of all the restaurant owners I spoke to, they say things are going to be really rough, because tourism season is over but office workers aren't coming back because they work from home half the week and the days they are in office, they're saving every £££ and not eating at a cafe. One restaurant is doing really well because it has a good niche of spicy food that everyone is coming miles around for, so it's not all bad news, but one italian cafe owner she was in the verge of tears telling me she was going to close the shop early because there was no point - 13:00 on a Friday and not a single soul besides myself had shown up.

2. Lots more people are breaking down; physically and mentally. The enduring effects of covid and long-covid have been studied and just quietly ignored, and the pressures of the Tory mismanagement are not helping. Been seeing more people having to get ambulance'd over covid again, and people, patients and colleagues I speak to all report the same feelings of futility, burn out and crushing depression, that feeling of "everything I do doesn't matter because it all ends the same place."

3. No one is pleased by the way politics has gone, and are basically all stuck with the same issue that neither labour nor conservatives have their trust. Those who voted for conservatives for conservatism ended up with more neoliberalism and so can't be asked to vote tory again. Yet they can't be asked to vote labour because when they voted for corbyn, the labour party said that labour voters really want more neoliberalism and canned him. It's a repeat of pre-brexit where no matter who you voted for, all parties were pro-EU neoliberalism. Now it's just all roads lead to anti-EU neoliberalism. I always tell these people if you're politically active, the best thing you can do is get involved with your local party and help get an MP from your area selected and keep them protected from the big big cheese at top who say only an Oxbridge neoliberal is allowed to have an opinion. Until you sort out who you are allowed to vote for then voting only gets you so far; democratic involvement by necessity cannot be confined to the act of voting, otherwise it is not a democracy

4. Russia's invasion of Ukraine, to a lesser extent. Everyone I spoke to supports Ukraine and the UK's continued military support of Ukraine, EXCEPT for the wealthy Polish expats I spoke to, who supported the opposite of whatever the Polish government supported, and annoy me to no end. You can't "both sides" the argument when one side is murdering civilians and broke its own treaty obligations.

5. Football! Lots of people have been talking about football and going about europe, to watch football over there. I have no idea as I don't football but I traveled around Europe with some northerners who went there to see the football, I go home and my cafe man is gone because he's gone to see more football, football football, everyone still loves football.

6. I haven't heard anything about trans rights or wrongs but as it happens - my local cafe man had some J.K. Rowling fans confirm that J.K. Rowling had in fact gone to his cafe, ordered an egg and tomato sandwich, and he had no idea it was her as she was being incognito

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2022, 09:59:00 pm »

I think Truss is turning paranoid. She's rapidly being surrounded by members of her "Anti-growth coalition". She's now adding environmental charities to the list.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2022, 11:02:25 am »

Could it be she's done already?
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2022, 12:09:47 pm »

She was done the moment the mini budget came out.

It's just a matter of when now, and if she's spiteful enough to dissolve parliament if they try.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2022, 05:32:32 pm »

She was done the moment the mini budget came out.

It's just a matter of when now, and if she's spiteful enough to dissolve parliament if they try.
Why wouldn't she?

She certainly seems spiteful enough.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2022, 05:44:38 pm »

With any luck she will, I shudder to imagine whatever ghoulish mannequin clad in human skin the Tories pick as leader after her if she doesn't.

Bring on a GE and the first non-Tory government in 12 damn years. Can't imagine they'll have an easy time, but they rarely do.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2022, 05:33:02 am »

I think Truss is turning paranoid. She's rapidly being surrounded by members of her "Anti-growth coalition". She's now adding environmental charities to the list.
She's beyond paranoid, she's huffing military grade copium. I just miss Jezza, if he was still labour head the conservatives would've been electorally annihilated by now. Stuff they canned him for, like nationalising the energy companies or making the financial services industry serve the real economy instead of the other way around, seems pretty funny now

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2022, 10:44:47 am »

Actually, I think the opposite. Jezza's foreign policy was, frankly, awful, and he had no idea how to work the crowd when it came to that sort of thing. It was ignorable because fuck all was going on back then, but with the Ukrainian invasion I could very easily have seen him cocking up responses to questions like "Are you going to provide supplies to Ukraine?"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2022, 01:03:18 pm »

Actually, I think the opposite. Jezza's foreign policy was, frankly, awful, and he had no idea how to work the crowd when it came to that sort of thing. It was ignorable because fuck all was going on back then, but with the Ukrainian invasion I could very easily have seen him cocking up responses to questions like "Are you going to provide supplies to Ukraine?"
That and he wanted to give the Falklands away without actually talking to the Falklanders themselves but nobody's perfect ;[

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2022, 06:38:08 pm »

I know my arch-right-wing childhood friend was raving about Corbyn back slightly before he even got his Momentum in gear. In hindsight, I can see he was attracted by the political disruption (similarly the whole "I agree with Nick", before that, despite definitely not being liberal, let alone Liberal - I don't think he was that much into Blair, though perhaps that's surprising for other reasons). It was the nascent radical populism that seemed most attractive.

While, for me, I distrust populism with a vengeance. I can be excited enough about opportunities to overturn the current messy status-quo situation that I disliked, which at one point Jeremy was (and Nick could have been, and Tony famously did) but I find it tends to revolve around single-issue focal points and even if I agree with that, it inevitably leaves a huge amount of unsatisfactory side-issues. Witness those wanting to get out of the EU with (as was proven) little idea of where to go from there (or even how to exit), if you'll forgive my raising that rusty old subject, and yet somehow barely scraping that result against what even I felt was an unattractive but competent opposing viewpoint (because it held no promise of any refreshing change).

And that was one of the things that wiped much of the Corbynite promise out vs. Johnson. Those who took the Euroskeptic view didn't get anything useful from him (though he tended towards that), because Boris just played that game better, as we saw. Those who were still sufficiently Europhile didn't get any chance of solace there either because he didn't want to or dare to actually give the reasons why not to just let the Tories go all bull-in-a-chinashop about it. And this translated into votes for/against local candidates that many have since regretted even if they "got what they wanted".

That and the rise in newsworthyness of his brother's antics (strangely he had no real press exposure when certain people were surely looking for dirt-by-association on Jeremy, or maybe there just weren't any big issues for him to come out of the woodwork for, at that time, by comparison with the more direct political monstering), and all that antisemitic mud-flinging/-sticking that went on, etc.

On the whole, I find much of this to be an inevitable but regrettable distraction. Because populism (or the corresponding counter-populism) is so baked in. It's how Salmond got his party where he did, and how Sturgeon has kept it there (after a short tricky stage where the differences between the two major sub-sects of supporters might have significantly rifted the support base in dealing with the situation that ultimately discredited the former), plus how the DUP seems to have kept itself relevent nationally despite effectively refusing to govern locally unless someone else picks up the toys it has been throwing out of the pram (which is an interesting contrast to Sinn Fein's longstanding stance).

And it's why right now I'd be quite comfortable with Starmer in power (not even counting how my Dad had been a friend/'colleague' of his Dad as part of the deal), because he exudes a true wide-ranging competance that few others show. Not Truss, not Johnson, not Corbyn, certainly... Begrudgingly I'd say Cameron actually did, and May probably, with Brown being more competent than Blair, but single-issue events/opponents levered them out of position. Cable worked for me (but on a hiding to nothing in the climate of politics he was the leader in), better than Clegg turned out to be or... whoever succeeded him (can remember he was religious, etc, can't recall his name - which probably says something - and they moved on again later, right?), and Welsh politics has had its "interesting" moments and figures but I'd have to check my recollections before pontificating on their situation alongside the other national/nation perspectives that I follow more closely (willingly or otherwise).

And it's why Tories should not want to force an early General Election, either directly or by having Truss backstabbed enough to make it her (or her successor's) spiteful choice to do so. They need to both try to recover (demonstrate how they are not a total car-crash) and let Labour build up the Starmaresque (or successor?) version of counter-populism to make it the same old battle between the worst (or definitely most polarising) bits of ideology that seems to be considered necessary in this day and age. And, I'll admit, certainly helps the eventual victors (or at least the king-makers who prop up the victors).

And 'Jezza' is not a current threat to the Conservatives, could never be, and surely cannot have helped his cause if (all else being equal) he had remained as leader after his GE collapse. I could see him fully supporting the inumerable strikes/work-to-rules, perhaps even orchestrating a new General Strike in all but name, but not sure that would be advantageous. Starmer maybe can be considered as over-cautious in this very same issue, but for good reasons. Vocally supporting the workers (and others) without going front-line on the picket-line is the best of various increasingly bad choices (IMO!), one or other of which Corbyn would likely have decided to take instead.

But there's much what-if, here. We can't see, for example, how Ukraine or the Pandemic or the Sub-Prime fallout or the post-911 or the Falklands War might have unrolled with alternate leaders, or if combined with a different timing of other events (parlimentary recesses, monarchical deaths, weather events, otherwise unconnected world-market tremors, etc) that may either add to pressures or temporarily distract from the other crises and their increasingly bumpy roads. It's much more down to who was at the reins of power, than who might even be leading the opposition, and I don't have my trans-dimensional televiewer plugged in right now (the fuse it needs is a bugger to obtain in this reality!) in order to compare with the world that resulrs from any given alternate history. But I definitely have some ideas about what isn't a better storyline than even the currently troublesome one.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2022, 09:40:47 am »

She sacked Kwarteng and announced another u-turn on policy, this time saying she won’t cut the corporation tax rise.

She also took four questions at the press conference announcing all that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2022, 11:05:24 am »

The replacement for the quasi-chancellor is the one time "hulture secretary", and the minister who probably sparked more healthcare strikes than anyone else in recent times. Because of course he would be.

(Even though he holds some of my own views, I'm not sure I'd want his support on them position. He's just angling for another go at being PM, and the PM is probably just keeping her potential rivals (except Rishi) ever closer to try to forstall them/give them more opportunities to sip at the poisoned challice.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2022, 11:14:48 am »

This reminds me of The Thick of It, when Malcolm Tucker is effectively trying to bully someone into resigning a ministerial position, when he says that if thr guy resigns after so short a time it looks like he fucked up, but if the PM sacks him after so short a time, it looks like the PM fucked up.

Also, I like the word omnishambles, which Truss is looking more and more to be.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2022, 02:59:10 pm »

Remember how Cameron promised safe and stable politics under the Conservatives, or Chaos under Miliband?

Miliband has a response in relation to the current situation.

https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1580931307185401856

There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34